Bullnose Forums

How Well Were The New Bullnose Trucks Received in 1980?

LARIAT 85

"Curious where they got those fuel economy numbers lol."

I once owned a 1984 F150 with 4.9L, 4 speed manual OD and 2.47 rear gears. This truck came with the tiny air dam / spoiler on the front bumper.

Driven @ 65 mph on the interstate, it routinely returned 26+ MPG. It was a dog when accelerating.

This was before the widespread use of gasohol.

Heres where I thought the name bullnose came from, due to the curves in the front of the hood and cab top. But these curves are also about the same on the 70s trucks.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullnose

But clearly theres a lot I dont know on the subject. Im just a young bull:nabble_smiley_wink:

trying to keep up.

I also wonder how these trucks were received. Ive always liked the styling of these trucks mostly due to the fact that for me when I was a little bit younger and looking at the cars and trucks of the 90s and 2000s, it seemed like all the engineers said just make some curves and call it a day. The boxier old school vehicles had more character.

I once owned a 1984 F150 with 4.9L, 4 speed manual OD and 2.47 rear gears. This truck came with the tiny air dam / spoiler on the front bumper.

Driven @ 65 mph on the interstate, it routinely returned 26+ MPG. It was a dog when accelerating.

I'd like to see a picture of that air dam, maybe we can find a Ford P/N. 29mpg average highway ford claimed though would denote it gets more than 29 mpg at some point and 19 city would be pretty impressive as well. I'm not saying it isn't capable of mid 20's but man I think Ford was inflating some numbers, unless the whole drive was downhill in OD with exterior modifications and the tallest gearing you could get.

I'd like to see a picture of that air dam, maybe we can find a Ford P/N. 29mpg average highway ford claimed though would denote it gets more than 29 mpg at some point and 19 city would be pretty impressive as well. I'm not saying it isn't capable of mid 20's but man I think Ford was inflating some numbers, unless the whole drive was downhill in OD with exterior modifications and the tallest gearing you could get.

We've found the spoiler. You can see it in the illustration below, which is from the page at Documentation/Exterior/Bumpers and the Front Bumpers and Illustrations tabs. But you can see the part number on, of all things, the Part Numbers tab.

As for pictures, I have one of the spoilers so could take some pics if you'd like.

front-bumper-illustration.jpg.52383af4e90bccd19be63293a0938389.jpg

We've found the spoiler. You can see it in the illustration below, which is from the page at Documentation/Exterior/Bumpers and the Front Bumpers and Illustrations tabs. But you can see the part number on, of all things, the Part Numbers tab.

As for pictures, I have one of the spoilers so could take some pics if you'd like.

looks like a piece of angle iron lol. I'm sure its probably plastic though.

I wonder if it actually helped or was a hindrance.

It does look like a piece of angle, but it is plastic. Don't know how effective it was, but Ford did use it on the trucks that were supposed to get the higher MPG.

I think I'll try it on Big Blue. If those with it got 26 MPG then I may set a record for a 460. :nabble_smiley_evil:

It does look like a piece of angle, but it is plastic. Don't know how effective it was, but Ford did use it on the trucks that were supposed to get the higher MPG.

I think I'll try it on Big Blue. If those with it got 26 MPG then I may set a record for a 460. :nabble_smiley_evil:

If you get 26 MPG with a 460...hang on tight you’re in a tornado!

Hey Gary,

This part also showed up on other trucks without the fuel economy package, right? I have come across some pictures of them on trucks that didn't appear to be fuel saver models...but anything could have been changed in almost 40 years now...

Hey Gary,

This part also showed up on other trucks without the fuel economy package, right? I have come across some pictures of them on trucks that didn't appear to be fuel saver models...but anything could have been changed in almost 40 years now...

To paraphrase another famous Okie, all I know is what I read in the MPC:

spoiler-header_orig.thumb.jpg.213b35cac6e03c21caa735d27a1b1b9a.jpgspoiller-part-number_orig.thumb.jpg.4f8590cb969891a3fd0b150a2dcc002b.jpg

I did some testing and with my repeatable "in-town" driving to work and back, it is good for ~1/2 MPG. It would likely account for more @ highway speeds.

From what I understand the aero advantage it had was less air passing underneath causing turbulence and more so around the body itself, how that makes sense somehow is beyond me. I'm not an engineer nor claim to be.

It must have worked, because trucks these days have 3 inches of ground clearance with an air dam the size of the Great Wall of China.