Bullnose Forums

Classic Dash - Dash Panel

kramttocs

Then again I like to 'sneak in" little custom touches like that you have to really know the cars / trucks to pick it up.

Dave ----

Which is why my dual-snorkel air cleaner was going to say "400HO" or somesuch in the same font as the 351HO's used. Wanted to see people scratch their heads as they looked over the factory cold air ducting on both snorkels. :nabble_smiley_evil:

I have a funny story about that.

When I was at a car show last year, someone came up to Lucille and was really digging her. He first asked if me if it was the original color, and I said "yes." When he got to the engine bay, he looked at the dual-snorkel air cleaner and asked if my engine was "really" a 5.0L H.O. Not one to lie to someone, I said "yes." As I was contemplating telling this gentleman that Ford never actually installed the 5.0L H.O. in the truck line, he looked over at his friend and said, "Yeah...I remember when they put those Mustang engines in the trucks." The friend agreed with him, and they both congratulated me for keeping my truck all-original!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I was at a car show last year, someone came up to Lucille and was really digging her. He first asked if me if it was the original color, and I said "yes." When he got to the engine bay, he looked at the dual-snorkel air cleaner and asked if my engine was "really" a 5.0L H.O. Not one to lie to someone, I said "yes." As I was contemplating telling this gentleman that Ford never actually installed the 5.0L H.O. in the truck line, he looked over at his friend and said, "Yeah...I remember when they put those Mustang engines in the trucks." The friend agreed with him, and they both congratulated me for keeping my truck all-original!

Rick,

I have a similar one from one of the local car nights last year. A lot of old guys flock to my truck and they'll often tell me about the one they had 30 or 35 years ago that was the same. Most people are keen enough to notice that the 5spd in my truck is not period correct, but this one old guy told me that he bought a Bullnose brand new in the early 80's and he claimed that his truck had a 5spd in it. I debated the topic with him for a minute, but he was certain that his truck had a 5spd. Finally, he lifted up his hand and started counting with his fingers and as he counted them off, he went "First, second, third, fourth, reverse", and with all five fingers folded down he looked at me and said "Yup, my truck was a 5spd". He wandered off down the line, and I just smiled and carried on myself...lol.

Rick,

I have a similar one from one of the local car nights last year. A lot of old guys flock to my truck and they'll often tell me about the one they had 30 or 35 years ago that was the same. Most people are keen enough to notice that the 5spd in my truck is not period correct, but this one old guy told me that he bought a Bullnose brand new in the early 80's and he claimed that his truck had a 5spd in it. I debated the topic with him for a minute, but he was certain that his truck had a 5spd. Finally, he lifted up his hand and started counting with his fingers and as he counted them off, he went "First, second, third, fourth, reverse", and with all five fingers folded down he looked at me and said "Yup, my truck was a 5spd". He wandered off down the line, and I just smiled and carried on myself...lol.

So funny but he was right, sort of. Reverse speed.

Then again I like to 'sneak in" little custom touches like that you have to really know the cars / trucks to pick it up.

Dave ----

Which is why my dual-snorkel air cleaner was going to say "400HO" or somesuch in the same font as the 351HO's used. Wanted to see people scratch their heads as they looked over the factory cold air ducting on both snorkels. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Rick

I to have a 1985 5.0HO going in my short bed in the spring it had 40,000 miles on it and looked new inside I had it torqued plated bored & hone .020in CR is set at 9.5 I swapped in a custom ground ED Curtis hyd roller and he also did the Cobra GT40 heads I have on it, also using Weiand 8124 dual plane intake and a Pony Carb Autolite 4100 should run good and get good mileage with the 3.55 and AOD

• 2 years later...

Oh yeah, those look great. They have a definite 80's feel to them.

I agree Gary, most wouldn't give them a second glance at not being factory.

These ones cannot be confused with factory ones, but they could have some appeal for those who want a modern look in their old truck:

https://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/293505393392?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=FbUvpIMuS2i&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=IndEmVWHQBa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

D52657E4-557C-416F-9910-EDCA898B4797.jpeg.1c65920bcb59b6874060d6550237dc87.jpeg

Just curious, not planning to equip Big Brother with some.

Does any forum friend have installed one of those? How do they fit?

These ones cannot be confused with factory ones, but they could have some appeal for those who want a modern look in their old truck:

https://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/293505393392?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=FbUvpIMuS2i&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=IndEmVWHQBa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Just curious, not planning to equip Big Brother with some.

Does any forum friend have installed one of those? How do they fit?

Agreed - nice to have options. Especially if someone didn't care for the stock look and wanted to avoid add-on gauges (to get the more detailed readings).

Add-on gauges? Who would do that? (Glad the AFR gauge is hiding - mostly.) :nabble_anim_confused:

I am still waiting for the ticker display over the radio bezel buttons that doubles as coffee maker :nabble_smiley_happy:

Nah, I think add-on gauges are definitely at home on an 80's dash but I can also see wanting the detail contained within the dash itself.

Partial picture of Big Blue’s 747 cockpit?

:nabble_smiley_happy:

Yup. But what you can't see is the datalogging screen on this laptop that captures a bit more info. The shot below shows some of the info, but AFR wasn't being recorded then, nor was Instantaneous MPG or MPG. And the rear view mirror shows front & rear camera views awa compass heading and true GPS MPH. Plus it records where you've been by lat/long and videos of the camera views. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Screenshot_(74).thumb.png.e495838d70de283430b9baacdf4557a4.png