Bullnose Forums

Ford Motorcraft Dura Spark Ignition Module vs. Aftermarket

LARIAT 85

Interesting read, Rick. I've seen both the Ford and GM problems that were listed, but haven't seen the Chrysler ones.

Chrysler electronic ignitions were so reliable, you carried a spare module and double resistor in the glove box along with the needed tools. Just wait till you start on the Bee, I want you to take off and measure #7 plug wire, the one that crosses the front, runs down the inside of the left valve cover and around the back of the exhaust manifold to get to the plug.

I wish I had a nickel for every HEI distributor I saw with a hole blown right through the rotor. generally caused by the wires being bad.

On the Fords, I had more troubles with aftermarket DS-I and II modules than the factory ones, TFI, only ones I have seen with real problems are the distributor mounted ones, heat does kill them. Again, I stick to OEM on them rather than aftermarket.

Chrysler electronic ignitions were so reliable, you carried a spare module and double resistor in the glove box along with the needed tools. Just wait till you start on the Bee, I want you to take off and measure #7 plug wire, the one that crosses the front, runs down the inside of the left valve cover and around the back of the exhaust manifold to get to the plug.

I wish I had a nickel for every HEI distributor I saw with a hole blown right through the rotor. generally caused by the wires being bad.

On the Fords, I had more troubles with aftermarket DS-I and II modules than the factory ones, TFI, only ones I have seen with real problems are the distributor mounted ones, heat does kill them. Again, I stick to OEM on them rather than aftermarket.

Don't see any wrong with the GM HEI module and the Duraspark distributor :) Better spark than a stock Duraspark.