Bullnose Forums

Tachometer Interchangability

Sideflop

I read a post from a guy who swapped an IDI into a gas F150 and he hooked up the gas tach to the diesel sensor. He said it did read, but he didn’t think it was correct. He didn’t mention by how much, or if it was higher or lower than expected. Since the IDI is governed at about half of the 6K’s sweep, it’s not a very desirable tach for that engine anyway. You really need the 4,500 rpm with the yellow and red zones for the 6.9 IDI. The diesel tachs from the medium duty F600/F700 read flywheel teeth and shouldn’t read right either.

I don’t know if you are aware, but the 83 & 84 diesels did not have the tach option. The injection pump gear housing does not have the threaded port for the tachometer sensor. There is no wiring for it in the harness. I looked at the pics in your build thread and yours does not have it. You can still add a factory tach, but it isn’t plug and play like the 85/86 trucks. You need to supply the wiring and you need a late 6.9 or 7.3 injection pump gear housing with the port. You also have to know how to remove the housing without getting the engine out of time. It’s not that bad, you just need to be aware of it and it is an involved project.