Bullnose Forums

Fuel tank sending unit

Good afternoon!

The fuel tank sending unit in my son's side mounted tank [1984 short wheel base] is acting up. I have a spare from a low mileage 1986, but looking at charts, it seems there was a difference beginning with 1985. Is that correct?

The engine is a 4.9L with feedback carburetor.

Thanks in advance!

David

David - I think the difference is in the size of the opening into the tank. I believe that in '85 they introduced the larger opening to allow the in-tank fuel pump to go in, but all of the tanks got the larger opening regardless of whether the truck had an in-tank pump or not.

So if your sender has the large flange on it I don't think it'll fit. However, I could be wrong on that. I don't think I've been wrong yet today, so I'm overdue. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

David - I think the difference is in the size of the opening into the tank. I believe that in '85 they introduced the larger opening to allow the in-tank fuel pump to go in, but all of the tanks got the larger opening regardless of whether the truck had an in-tank pump or not.

So if your sender has the large flange on it I don't think it'll fit. However, I could be wrong on that. I don't think I've been wrong yet today, so I'm overdue. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Thank you! :nabble_anim_handshake:

I believe that in '85 they introduced the larger opening to allow the in-tank fuel pump to go in, but all of the tanks got the larger opening regardless of whether the truck had an in-tank pump or not.

Well that's interesting. I was wondering why they did that...and now I know!

David I ended installing a Spectra Premium sender in the side tank on my 1984, part number FG75A.

If by chance your son ends up buying this one, make sure he checks the float arms side by side to make sure they are the same. I wish I had done that with mine.

I believe that in '85 they introduced the larger opening to allow the in-tank fuel pump to go in, but all of the tanks got the larger opening regardless of whether the truck had an in-tank pump or not.

Well that's interesting. I was wondering why they did that...and now I know!

David I ended installing a Spectra Premium sender in the side tank on my 1984, part number FG75A.

If by chance your son ends up buying this one, make sure he checks the float arms side by side to make sure they are the same. I wish I had done that with mine.

Thank you, Cory!

• 2 months later...

1985 was the first year for a plastic sending unit connector. The 80-84 ones were rubber.

I may be having a similar problem here's the story:

I installed the plastic tank (MTS 4252B) and a new sending unit, the correct PN that I imagine (Dorman equivalent of E0TZ9275G). I Filled the tank, fuel level came up to full looked good, until some weeks later when I moved the truck, and the engine died. Long story short, it wasn't getting any fuel, although the gauge showed 1/4 tank. I added 6 gallons of fuel, the gauge came up to FULL! I got the engine fired up so it seems there was no fuel coming out of the tank. Any ideas what the source of this problem maybe?

I ordered one from RockAuto for my ‘81. It has worked fairly well. It reads past full when you top off, and tends to have 2-3 gallons left when it reaches E which suits me fine. I wouldn’t say it’s super accurate, but for the old pulsing ICVR system I can’t complain. It has never let me run out.

I installed the plastic tank (MTS 4252B) and a new sending unit, the correct PN that I imagine (Dorman equivalent of E0TZ9275G). I Filled the tank, fuel level came up to full looked good, until some weeks later when I moved the truck, and the engine died. Long story short, it wasn't getting any fuel, although the gauge showed 1/4 tank. I added 6 gallons of fuel, the gauge came up to FULL! I got the engine fired up so it seems there was no fuel coming out of the tank. Any ideas what the source of this problem maybe?

I think what Jonathan is saying is that these fuel gauges are not accurate and can easily show fuel when there is none.

And, there were several different tanks and a myriad of senders. If you got the wrong one the pickup portion may not go to the bottom of the tank.

You can check that out by looking in the tank with the tank and the fuel filler hose removed.

I installed the plastic tank (MTS 4252B) and a new sending unit, the correct PN that I imagine (Dorman equivalent of E0TZ9275G).

It certainly pays to compare pricing... these currently are on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Fuel-Tank-Level-Sending-Unit-For-Ford-E0TZ-9275-G-/182402944935

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ford-OEM-E0TZ-9275-G-Fuel-Sender-Sending-Unit-NOS-SHIPS-FREE-/254460100859