Bullnose Forums

Gary Lewis

Gary Lewis

IT guy here too. Mechanical Engineer gone wrong!!

Many college pals also jumped at opportunity for y2k.

Anyone try megasquirt on these machines??

Spent two years studying in EE, but ended up with Math & Physics. This was before there was such a thing as IT as it was in the last of the 60's. Work took me into what eventually became IT.

Spent two years studying in EE, but ended up with Math & Physics. This was before there was such a thing as IT as it was in the last of the 60's. Work took me into what eventually became IT.

Well, not an IT guy, but sired one, he is now IT manager for Olympus Foreign Parts (they cater to the high end imports, BMW, Porsche, MB, Jaguar). I studied engineering in college but washed out because the school was in the process of going from a Liberal Arts school to a technical school and between the math, engineering and being required to write 13 themes in one semester of English (not my bailiwick, my sister wrote my high school ones, and I helped her with math). I ended up enlisting in the Marine Corps reserve to avoid being drafted and getting an all expenses paid SE Asian vacation (funeral included if needed). After coming back from 6 mos. active duty I went back to school, but ended up without a good enough GPA to stay, worked in retail for a bit and went to a major Defense Contractor, was there not quite 4 years and got caught in some office politics and fired, went into auto repair finally owning my shop only to have my dad get talked into selling it out from under me. Went to the local Dodge/Mercedes-Benz/Jaguar/MG dealer and was there 3 years when a friend did some jawboning at the laboratory i Had worked in 1966-1970 and set up a job interview to get me back there, 30 years later I retired.

At my retirement dinner, my supervisor (a Mechanical Engineer) made the statement that one other of his employees and myself were the two best non-degreed engineers he had ever met. I designed a few things including a complete rework of the torque wrench calibration equipment. Another fellow and I speced out, designed and built a controller for a hot tensile furnace that cost half what the furnace manufacturer wanted and interfaces with the tensile machine computer.

• 2 months later...

Small world. I too am retired from IT. I was an Ingres techie out of Cal, then worked my way up the ranks to hands-on tech mgr. Shoulda stayed there. I got lateral promoted to run the data center, internal hotline and the backup crew. I hated it. Nothing to do but manage people and go to meetings. I fired myself upon the next layoffs and went back to DBA team leader. In 95 I was seduced by the Dark Side and began doing software marketing. A piece of creative writing that I did on a car forum - test driving a 3.8L E34 M5 on the Autobahn near Freiburg - caught the eye of the Marketing veep, and he hired me over lunch. I didn't have to kill any Jedi children. Marketing for me was telling the truth in the most positive way possible and don't become a slick lying weasel. I wound up doing very well, flew around yurrup every quarter training the sales force on new product features, most of which I'd spec'd because I did inbound and outbound mktg.

Us IT guys are everware, eh?

I wish I had a Dad's Ford story like yours to tell but my dad isn't a car guy, or a people guy, or even a dad guy. I mostly raised myself. I do have a Dad's 1970 Charger 440 RT story I can tell some day. He let me borrow it when I was only 15.

IT guys mess with old trucks to

keep jedi skills sharp!

• 2 years later...

IT guys mess with old trucks to

keep jedi skills sharp!

So THAT'S why I do it?!?! Makes sense to me.

Just came across this. Add me to the list of IT Guys working on Ford trucks. I'm not retired though... Still have 10-12 years left probably.

Also very involved in church, including, of course, the meager IT needs for the congregation.

Add me as well to the list of those with a"Dad's truck" story, though mine is about the 70 F100 my dad bought new. We call it Ole Blue these days but dad used to just call it his "Toot Toot" because it had an air horn and he'd always blow it when he pulled in the drive to announce he was home.

I'm so glad you setup this site. It is to the Bullnose trucks what Fordification is to Bumpsides. A wonderful resource! Thankfully the forums are still alive and well here unlike at Fordification. FTE lacks resources, but the forums are good on Bumps and some other generations there. I guess you might say GarysGarageMahal is as good as Fordification and FTE put together. 👍👍

Just came across this. Add me to the list of IT Guys working on Ford trucks. I'm not retired though... Still have 10-12 years left probably.

Also very involved in church, including, of course, the meager IT needs for the congregation.

Add me as well to the list of those with a"Dad's truck" story, though mine is about the 70 F100 my dad bought new. We call it Ole Blue these days but dad used to just call it his "Toot Toot" because it had an air horn and he'd always blow it when he pulled in the drive to announce he was home.

I'm so glad you setup this site. It is to the Bullnose trucks what Fordification is to Bumpsides. A wonderful resource! Thankfully the forums are still alive and well here unlike at Fordification. FTE lacks resources, but the forums are good on Bumps and some other generations there. I guess you might say GarysGarageMahal is as good as Fordification and FTE put together. 👍👍

Glad to have so many IT guys on here so I don't feel alone. And people really involved in church, as am I, including some of the IT needs there.

As for FORDification, when I met our member Keith Dickson/FORDification he announced to his followers that our site is to Bullnose trucks what his site is to Dents & Bumps.

But are you saying that FORDification's forum isn't very active anymore? If so, that's a shame as Keith has put a lot into it.

However, saying we are as good as Fordification and FTE put together is saying a whole lot. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Glad to have so many IT guys on here so I don't feel alone. And people really involved in church, as am I, including some of the IT needs there.

As for FORDification, when I met our member Keith Dickson/FORDification he announced to his followers that our site is to Bullnose trucks what his site is to Dents & Bumps.

But are you saying that FORDification's forum isn't very active anymore? If so, that's a shame as Keith has put a lot into it.

However, saying we are as good as Fordification and FTE put together is saying a whole lot. :nabble_smiley_oh:

I look at the Fordification forums from time to time and there's just not much activity lately. Keith hasn't posted in the forums three in months. FTE's forums are a lot more active.

When it comes to Bumpsides, Fordification wins on documentation. FTE has the forums covered but not much documentation. It's funny that you see forum posters on FTE constantly posting links to documentation on Keith's site. So yeah, it takes both those sites to cover the same bases we can get here for the Bullnose trucks.

There is a Fordification Facebook page and I think a lot of the discussion has just moved there. Keith himself started posted a lot less after he went to work for LMC but I'm starting to see him post more on Facebook lately now that he's settled in to that job.

I look at the Fordification forums from time to time and there's just not much activity lately. Keith hasn't posted in the forums three in months. FTE's forums are a lot more active.

When it comes to Bumpsides, Fordification wins on documentation. FTE has the forums covered but not much documentation. It's funny that you see forum posters on FTE constantly posting links to documentation on Keith's site. So yeah, it takes both those sites to cover the same bases we can get here for the Bullnose trucks.

There is a Fordification Facebook page and I think a lot of the discussion has just moved there. Keith himself started posted a lot less after he went to work for LMC but I'm starting to see him post more on Facebook lately now that he's settled in to that job.

You also see people on FTE post links to here since, as you said, they don't have documentation. Chris/ctubutis and I tried to create documentation there but they not only wouldn't help but made changes that killed what documentation we'd created.

That was a blessing in disguise as it pushed me to create this site. And then came the forum and the rest, as they say, is history. :nabble_smiley_wink:

• 8 months later...