Bullnose Forum

Dennis Carpenter Door Panels

I see that Dennis Carpenter site has the door panels in stock now (for a long time they where "coming"). I ended up buying a different brand (LMC I think) a few years back, but I'm not happy with them. They are a real hard plastic (ABS?) and don't fit that well. They never seem to stay tight to the door body either (the push pins are always pulling out).

So my question is - has anyone bought the Dennis Carpenter door panels?

The description says they used original Ford tooling (so they should be a perfect fit). Is the plastic used similar to the original? I still have my originals (but not usable) and I can tell the difference in the plastic from the (LMC) replacements and originals.

https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/en/trucks/interior/door-panels/

The photo in the link shows the color panel I want but it seems they are only being sold in black at this time. If the fit and material is the same as the originals, I could paint them.

I have a feeling they are all probably made by the same company.

I think Dashtop makes most of this stuff and LMC, JBG, DC etc all are just the street vendors.

That's certainly true of the dash pads. One company makes them and all the others sell them. You can buy from the manufacturer, but it costs more. :nabble_anim_confused:

That's certainly true of the dash pads. One company makes them and all the others sell them. You can buy from the manufacturer, but it costs more. :nabble_anim_confused:

It's the type of plastic that I'm most interested in matching.

I don't know what kind of plastic Ford used back in the 80's but the replacement panels are much stiffer. The ones I got from LMC (or maybe it was Jeff's Bronco Graveyard) are so stiff, the paint has rubbed off where the panel wraps around form the upper glass edge (where the door lock button comes through) and curves down to the side.

If the panel made from factory tooling - so I expect to still have to trim it to fit?

It's the type of plastic that I'm most interested in matching.

I don't know what kind of plastic Ford used back in the 80's but the replacement panels are much stiffer. The ones I got from LMC (or maybe it was Jeff's Bronco Graveyard) are so stiff, the paint has rubbed off where the panel wraps around form the upper glass edge (where the door lock button comes through) and curves down to the side.

If the panel made from factory tooling - so I expect to still have to trim it to fit?

I have not purchased door panels from Dennis Carpenter, but I have read multiple times that they are far better than the brittle approximations from Coverlay, as sold through LMC. I don’t really like to link FTE here, but here is a thread from a gentleman who did buy Dennis Carpenter door panels plus his experiences.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1305459-plastic-door-panel-repair-sun-damage.html