Bullnose Forums

Pex Door Striker Mod

Bruno2

I do not believe that out of all of the door strikers I have that any of them have good plastic bushings on them. I had a spare moment today to play with doing the Pex tubing mod.

Here is the patient:

Pex_1.thumb.jpg.3dd4af2700336213b650c93af8a697ce.jpg

If you have never taken one of these off a person needs to understand they are adjustable. Chances are that yours are adjusted correctly, but the plastic being gone or compromised is making the door close funny. To avoid a lengthy adjustment process when removing simply take a pencil and trace around it so you know where it goes exactly before you remove the striker bolt:

Pex_2.thumb.jpg.16466b53490772daae2ea43411fd7f78.jpg

Next select your favorite color of 1/2" Pex tubing. I pick up these scraps on residential job sites for free:

Pex_3.thumb.jpg.3f15aaae3c8f56a9a0b22763cce54fe5.jpg

Now, I have seen where a lot of guys heat this material up to make it malleable. However, understanding how the material works will help with installing it. This material has a memory. When using it in a plumbing application there is a tool that goes inside of it . The tool resembles a miniature exhaust pipe expander. The tool stretches the tubing and the installer slips it over the fitting and the memory allows it to shrink back down tight enough to make a water tight seal under pressure.

So instead of heating it up I simply adjusted my bench vise to where the threads on the striker would easily pass through the jaws and the tubing would sit on the jaws. I then thumped it with a dead blow hammer 3 or 4 times with about light to medium force. The tubing slipped right on with no issues at all:

Pex_4.thumb.jpg.8688b5b09e1c12d3d8fca633904421a6.jpg

Now all that has to be done is to line your pencil marks up and tighten it down:

Pex_5.thumb.jpg.e3325c7964628b1cc333c7ab1fc859bf.jpg

This task was so simple and so quick that it literally took me 5 minutes and that is probably a modest time duration. It was probably closer to 3 minutes.

I hope this helps someone that has been wanting to do this. It is very simple. Good luck!

Good job, Branden! But two questions: First, do you know the size of the PEX you used? Second, any chance it could be put on while the striker is still on the truck?

Pex size is 1/2". I think I mentioned that in section 2, but I will double check.

I do not believe it can be done while the striker is on the truck. The end of the striker bolt is too big to stretch the tubing over.

Pex size is 1/2". I think I mentioned that in section 2, but I will double check.

I do not believe it can be done while the striker is on the truck. The end of the striker bolt is too big to stretch the tubing over.

The Pex size was mentioned in section 3.

Well done! Those doors can rattle like a bugger.

I grabbed a couple pairs of the newer strikers at the junkyard a while back so I could do this when the time comes. I think with the Bullnose strikers the only way to install the tubing would be to cut it.

Rembrant, I have to wonder how the sleeve was put on at the factory? It would have to come apart similar.

Good job, Branden! But two questions: First, do you know the size of the PEX you used? Second, any chance it could be put on while the striker is still on the truck?

Also, as far as installing while on the truck the tubing would never get by the guard on the right side of the striker pin:

Screenshot_20191116-211159_Gallery.thumb.jpg.007d911786577984921b144ec642a611.jpg