Bullnose Forums

Miss fire help

Danny G

You mentioned wiring or electrical issues in doing the swap, and I probably made it sound easy. And it really will be. But, what you'll be doing is something I'm getting ready to do, and Bill's already done.

Here are a couple of things to think about. First is the location of the ECU. In the van it is probably where it is in the later pickups - in the kick panel area outboard of the emergency brake pedal. Steve83 had some info on how he did it, and Bill has done it as well. But it takes a bit of ingenuity as there apparently isn't initially room for the ECU w/o making some changes.

Second, you'll be marrying two very different electrical strategies and you'll have to decide how you want to do that. Your pickup has fusible links running from the starter relay back to the ignition switch or fuse block. But the van probably has a power distribution box on the driver's fender with fuses and relays in it, as well as a smaller fuse block in the cab.

I think you'll need the PDB as some of those fuses and relays are used in the EEC system. So the question becomes how to marry the two electrical systems. My plan is to bring the long power feeds to the ignition switch and fuse block from the starter relay to the PDB, which will be much closer. And I plan to use some of the fuses in the PDB to replace the fusible links. But I've not done it yet, so can't tell you how hard nor effective it'll be.

However, you are the electrical guru, so how would you do it? And, by the way, I may have the wiring schematics for you in my '96 EVTM - I'll look in a bit.

I'm going to have to look at schematics for both the van and the truck to give a solid answer on that one, but my intuition is telling me to convert to run fuse blocks/ the PDB. Will be a cleaner installation, easier to work with and trouble shoot in the long run as it puts everything in one convenient spot. I'm sure I can figure out a location or custom box for the ECU. I dont't know how big or small it is but when we can cross that bridge when we get there. I am not using the center dash speaker...maybe that will be a suitable location IDK.

Back on the "random miss fire" issue with the van. The owner says it cropped up after they did a new transmission. They have also replaced the starter, distributor, and ECU after the fact. I'm curious if it is not a misfire, but something that feels like a miss fire from the transmission side, like the torque converter slipping or something in the transmission causing the engine to get a sudden load that feels like a misfire. My trouble shooting side always defaults to the last thing someone messed with prior to the issue arising.

If the torque converter unlocked and re-locked it would give a shock that might be thought to be a misfire. So a bad wire/connection?

If the torque converter unlocked and re-locked it would give a shock that might be thought to be a misfire. So a bad wire/connection?

Could be, that seems like it would be a pretty easy fix. Would also be worth noting per the post the odometer is reading around 400k miles, no idea if it is the original engine or if it has or has not been rebuilt in the past. The owner is the Men's/Women's rifle coach at The Citadel, given the paint scheme of white with blue stripes, I think until now this was a used to ferry groups of Cadets to and from rifle matches for the last 24 years. Point being before it gets swapped into my truck we are also looking at a rebuild or using the block as a core swap for a reman like this XP1:

https://spprecision.com/products/ford-49-300-inline-6-long-block-crate-engine-sale.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkpeBrJDq5QIVjh6tBh219wWXEAQYAiABEgIE7_D_BwE

What made me consider it not being a misfire, in addition to it happened after they put a new transmission in and GM just had an issue quite similar that plague a few of my friends Silverado's, the torque converter needed a different kind of fluid in it, or it caused what was felt like a random misfire.

Could be, that seems like it would be a pretty easy fix. Would also be worth noting per the post the odometer is reading around 400k miles, no idea if it is the original engine or if it has or has not been rebuilt in the past. The owner is the Men's/Women's rifle coach at The Citadel, given the paint scheme of white with blue stripes, I think until now this was a used to ferry groups of Cadets to and from rifle matches for the last 24 years. Point being before it gets swapped into my truck we are also looking at a rebuild or using the block as a core swap for a reman like this XP1:

https://spprecision.com/products/ford-49-300-inline-6-long-block-crate-engine-sale.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkpeBrJDq5QIVjh6tBh219wWXEAQYAiABEgIE7_D_BwE

What made me consider it not being a misfire, in addition to it happened after they put a new transmission in and GM just had an issue quite similar that plague a few of my friends Silverado's, the torque converter needed a different kind of fluid in it, or it caused what was felt like a random misfire.

And, if I remember correctly Honda had something like that. Wrong fluid caused problems.

By the way, Scotty told me yesterday that they do a build on the 300. :nabble_smiley_evil:

And, if I remember correctly Honda had something like that. Wrong fluid caused problems.

Ill hook up the computer reader to it when I go see the van. If it's a miss fire it should throw a code, if its not then I may take it to the local transmission shop have them pull off the transmission and check everything out.

By the way, Scotty told me yesterday that they do a build on the 300. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Care to expand? I'm kinda clueless on this one.

I wish I could, but I didn't quiz him as to what I he does on the 300. Maybe you can call/email and ask him? His intro is here in the New Members Start Here folder with his contact info.

Having said that, he has quite a bit of experience with the EEC-IV EFI systems. For instance, my 460 build is said to be "SD friendly". So perhaps he knows how far he can push the 300 and keep the speed density system happy?

Care to expand? I'm kinda clueless on this one.

I wish I could, but I didn't quiz him as to what I he does on the 300. Maybe you can call/email and ask him? His intro is here in the New Members Start Here folder with his contact info.

Having said that, he has quite a bit of experience with the EEC-IV EFI systems. For instance, my 460 build is said to be "SD friendly". So perhaps he knows how far he can push the 300 and keep the speed density system happy?

Took a look at the van today a little like muffled back fireish sound here and there.. maybe my imagination after warmed up. No codes from the computer, granted this code reader is night and day from my obdII reader I could have done it wrong

Crawled under it best I could in the 45 degree rain... Looks like a very clean e4OD under there.

The 300 has a different manifold set up to fit in the van that was interesting.

Owner says it will ride fine, then randomly the engine stutters. OD is showing 302k miles but he says it has 400k. Said he really wanted to get the engine to 500k lol.

Starting to think it isn't a misfire issue... Either way the E4OD was put in by the Ford dealership down the road, it sat around while his relative tried to resolve the stutter issue. So not sure how long it's been sitting but he did say he flushed the lines and put new gas in it. @$1000 I could keep the transmission, get 3g alternator set up, Air-conditioning components and be up on money if I scrapped everything else.

Really curious what the issue is though.

Took a look at the van today a little like muffled back fireish sound here and there.. maybe my imagination after warmed up. No codes from the computer, granted this code reader is night and day from my obdII reader I could have done it wrong

Crawled under it best I could in the 45 degree rain... Looks like a very clean e4OD under there.

The 300 has a different manifold set up to fit in the van that was interesting.

Owner says it will ride fine, then randomly the engine stutters. OD is showing 302k miles but he says it has 400k. Said he really wanted to get the engine to 500k lol.

Starting to think it isn't a misfire issue... Either way the E4OD was put in by the Ford dealership down the road, it sat around while his relative tried to resolve the stutter issue. So not sure how long it's been sitting but he did say he flushed the lines and put new gas in it. @$1000 I could keep the transmission, get 3g alternator set up, Air-conditioning components and be up on money if I scrapped everything else.

Really curious what the issue is though.

Converter lock up solenoid?

Possible I'm going to have to drive it and see will be taking it home this week.

How about locking out the overdrive to see what happens. And if that doesn't change anything then maybe put a light across the solenoid and extend the wires up into the cab to see if the light flickers when that happens.