Bullnose Forums

1982 F150 4x4 Explorer one owner w/original paint, low miles.

PS:...I know I've asked this before, but the external tie-downs on the bed. They seem to be really common on west coast or southwest trucks, ya? They seem to be really rare in the east. Were they ever offered by Ford, or are they always aftermarket accessories?

I can't find them in the 1986 accessory catalog, and it is the most thorough, nor the MPC, nor the 1986 price list. But, I only tried calling them a "tiedown", "tie-down", "tie down", or "anchor". What else might they be called?

Gary,

Happened to come across these tie-downs below while searching for other junk. They are not the same as on the Explorer above, but they do appear to be Ford parts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Ford-1984-1992-Ranger-Pickup-Truck-Tie-Downs-1985-1986-1987-1988-1989-90/123611093647?hash=item1cc7cb9a8f:g:bMEAAOSwvrJcPRkv

s-l1600.jpg.de99c2ea811b66f0a5f51f565a607a41.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS:...I know I've asked this before, but the external tie-downs on the bed. They seem to be really common on west coast or southwest trucks, ya? They seem to be really rare in the east. Were they ever offered by Ford, or are they always aftermarket accessories?

I can't find them in the 1986 accessory catalog, and it is the most thorough, nor the MPC, nor the 1986 price list. But, I only tried calling them a "tiedown", "tie-down", "tie down", or "anchor". What else might they be called?

Gary,

Happened to come across these tie-downs below while searching for other junk. They are not the same as on the Explorer above, but they do appear to be Ford parts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Ford-1984-1992-Ranger-Pickup-Truck-Tie-Downs-1985-1986-1987-1988-1989-90/123611093647?hash=item1cc7cb9a8f:g:bMEAAOSwvrJcPRkv

Cory - Well spotted! You found enough info to let me find them, as shown below.

So the question now becomes how to put this info on the website. I'm thinking a new set of pages called Accessories. It would look like Documentation/Accessories/Tie Down Hooks.

Thoughts?

Tie_Down_Hooks_Part_Numbers.thumb.jpg.e7b5158453e27502d51a7067a883fc1c.jpg

Tie_Down_Hooks_Illustration.thumb.jpg.60e4510f53d1413f714947d472ab7744.jpg

So the question now becomes how to put this info on the website. I'm thinking a new set of pages called Accessories. It would look like Documentation/Accessories/Tie Down Hooks.

Thoughts?

Yes, accessories would be cool. I find a lot of this stuff very interesting...mainly as a Bullnose enthusiast...I have no need for these hooks. I came across a Bullnose Bronco for sale yesterday and noticed a switch under the dash that looked sort of like a factory add-on. I could barely read the print on it, but I discovered that it was a rear window defrost switch. I didn't even know it was an optional accessory until I checked the 1982 (I think) facts book.

But back to the tie-down hooks. I still find it interesting that they seem to be way more common in the west. I'm curious if there was a marketing reason for this?...Or just a style preference by region...who knows.

Side note...but related: I bought a new Silverado (for my work) early in 2013, and since it had to be silver, the dealer was checking the neighboring provinces, one of which is New Brunswick, where they get a lot more snow then we do. He said the dealers there order most of their trucks with limited slip diffs and all-terrain tires. Here, where the weather is much milder, the trucks mostly have all season type tires and open diffs. Just goes to show you the differences in how they order trucks based on the region.

Out in western Canada, the Bullnoses were often all XLT's and Lariats, etc. Out here in the poverty stricken east coast, all bare bones strippers with no options! Ha!

Thoughts?

Yes, accessories would be cool. I find a lot of this stuff very interesting...mainly as a Bullnose enthusiast...I have no need for these hooks. I came across a Bullnose Bronco for sale yesterday and noticed a switch under the dash that looked sort of like a factory add-on. I could barely read the print on it, but I discovered that it was a rear window defrost switch. I didn't even know it was an optional accessory until I checked the 1982 (I think) facts book.

But back to the tie-down hooks. I still find it interesting that they seem to be way more common in the west. I'm curious if there was a marketing reason for this?...Or just a style preference by region...who knows.

Side note...but related: I bought a new Silverado (for my work) early in 2013, and since it had to be silver, the dealer was checking the neighboring provinces, one of which is New Brunswick, where they get a lot more snow then we do. He said the dealers there order most of their trucks with limited slip diffs and all-terrain tires. Here, where the weather is much milder, the trucks mostly have all season type tires and open diffs. Just goes to show you the differences in how they order trucks based on the region.

Out in western Canada, the Bullnoses were often all XLT's and Lariats, etc. Out here in the poverty stricken east coast, all bare bones strippers with no options! Ha!

I've noticed that in my searches on Kijiji. The Ranger XLT and Ranger Lariat trucks all seem to be in Saskatchewan or further west.

Thoughts?

Ok, we have a new section on Accessories, and a new page: Documentation/Accessories/Tie Down Hooks.

And, for grins, I added another page: Documentation/Accessories/Tonneau Cover. But, as it shows, Ford appears to have taken the numbers out of the catalog by 1994, as I explained on that page. Perhaps I can climb the "Microfiche Tower" and check out my 1982 version of the MPC later and confirm that the part numbers are E0TZ 99501A42-A and -B.

Other suggestions for accessory pages?

Ok, we have a new section on Accessories, and a new page: Documentation/Accessories/Tie Down Hooks.

And, for grins, I added another page: Documentation/Accessories/Tonneau Cover. But, as it shows, Ford appears to have taken the numbers out of the catalog by 1994, as I explained on that page. Perhaps I can climb the "Microfiche Tower" and check out my 1982 version of the MPC later and confirm that the part numbers are E0TZ 99501A42-A and -B.

Other suggestions for accessory pages?

Well, I did climb the Microfiche Tower and checked out the 1982 version of the MPC. And, as I expected, there was an entry in it for the tonneau cover. But, surprise surprise, it wasn't an E0TZ but a D1TZ. Yep, the 1971 - 79 tonneau was the one they sold for the Bullnose trucks.

So I've modified the new Tonneau Cover page to reflect that info, including this from the 1973-79 catalog:

Tonneau_Cover_Part_Numbers_-_Earlier.thumb.jpg.ac8765d29a2ad8b8f0f955c32c726e36.jpg

Ok, let me see what I can find.... :nabble_anim_working:

Best of luck to you. There's the receiver, the wiring harness, the mic, the mic holder for bench seats, the mic holder for buckets, the antenna, and the splitter. Might be something I'm forgetting but that's the majority.

Best of luck to you. There's the receiver, the wiring harness, the mic, the mic holder for bench seats, the mic holder for buckets, the antenna, and the splitter. Might be something I'm forgetting but that's the majority.

Yup, all those things. As shown below, and those illustrations will adorn the page as well as the part numbers.

Page_A.thumb.jpg.b4ebb7069dd21863d43786e6027bdf33.jpg

Page_B.thumb.jpg.7cf1b3ce7f01a5ebe224a637243f35f5.jpg

Page_C.thumb.jpg.94bcfe9fb9b3510b9fff5c71277b4b2a.jpg