Bullnose Forum

Winch Mount Options

Ray Cecil

This is the style of connectors I have on my trailer and on Big Blue: https://www.wiringproducts.com/high-power-connectors. I bought mine at Graybar if I remember correctly and didn’t pay that much. But, these connectors are expensive and you will need two of them as well as the terminals.

I’ll see if I can find the exact ones I bought, but that will have to wait until I get home.

You MIGHT get by with the 50 amp ones, but I’d be afraid of them myself. Yes, this is getting expensive, but it is the way to do it.

I started looking at Warn's version of those connectors (rated at 175 amps but $55.26 a pair). Then my wife started looking for "Warn 22680" on Amazon and found an off-brand that was something like $20 / pair. Later I might be able to find the specifics, but someone as good at Amazon as my wife (meaning a lot better than me) should be able to find them pretty easily.

(I bought a pair to make jumper cables for my wife's 2018 Jeep Renegade. There's no way to attach cables directly to the battery, and no good terminals available. So I wired one of these plugs to her battery and cut the clamps off one end of a set of jumper cables so I could solder the other plug on. Last winter I needed to jump-start my pickup one really cold morning (it's parked outside) and I couldn't use the Renegade so I had to get my Bronco out of the garage to start the pickup. Fortunately the Bronco, which had been sitting for a few months at that point, fired right up. Otherwise I guess I'd have been trying to get the motorhome in position!)

If the battery is in the truck bed you don’t need the connector in that run. But you may want it to the winch so you can permanently connect the winch’s wire to the connector and another connector to the battery.

Wire gauge should take in both ground and hot diameters correct? SO if 2 AWG is good for 10 feet, if you have 10 feet of hot and 10 feet of ground cable you have exceeded that circuits capability. If 1 is good for 20 feet then that is 20 feet including the ground wire run.

That said under 100 amps 0 (1/0) should be good for about 25-30 feet total circuit.

Wire gauge should take in both ground and hot diameters correct? SO if 2 AWG is good for 10 feet, if you have 10 feet of hot and 10 feet of ground cable you have exceeded that circuits capability. If 1 is good for 20 feet then that is 20 feet including the ground wire run.

That said under 100 amps 0 (1/0) should be good for about 25-30 feet total circuit.

Yes, but when using the frame of the vehicle as the ground then I'd think you would only have to account for the wire from the battery to the frame and then the frame to the load.

Bob - I haven't found those connectors. But, the ones below are the ones I bought. And they came from Grainger.

350A_Connector_at_Grainger.thumb.jpg.34fc3c10de7e9688882dac342229b85e.jpg

Iron Bull Bumpers makes one for the Bullnose but damn pricey at $1,200.00!

https://www.ironbullbumpers.com/collections/ford-f-150/products/1980-1986-ford-f-150-front-base-bumper

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n42950/Capture.jpg

pricey and IMHO ugly lol. I have seen some mount a receiver so its under the stock bumper.

I hear ya. I'd actually like to try my hand at fabricating a custom winch bumper. All I need is a plasma cutter.

Yes, but when using the frame of the vehicle as the ground then I'd think you would only have to account for the wire from the battery to the frame and then the frame to the load.

Bob - I haven't found those connectors. But, the ones below are the ones I bought. And they came from Grainger.

Here are the connectors I bought. $16.99 for a pair or $26.99 for four. They include covers as well.

Here are the connectors I bought. $16.99 for a pair or $26.99 for four. They include covers as well.

Nice find!

I do see a difference from the link you posted. Yours are 2/0 gauge and 350 amp, mine are 4/2 gauge and 175 amp. But the Warn ones I started looking at are 4/2, 175 amp as well, and at over $50 / pair you are paying significantly for the Warn name

I do see a difference from the link you posted. Yours are 2/0 gauge and 350 amp, mine are 4/2 gauge and 175 amp. But the Warn ones I started looking at are 4/2, 175 amp as well, and at over $50 / pair you are paying significantly for the Warn name

Yes, I saw the same difference. But 175 amps is more than Ray needs, so those should be perfect and let him disconnect the winch from the battery w/o having to unbolt it every time.

Speaking of that, Ray you might want to get a battery with studs on it. Sure makes it easier to put two connections on, and you'll have the wire coming from the relay on the truck and the wire going to the connector and then on to the winch to deal with.

Okay. I need a winch mount for the front of my truck. I am going to buy a 2nd winch for the truck. Just bought one for the trailer. I went with the Harbor Freight 3500 lb winch for the trailer. Might get a 2nd one for the truck. The winch is NOT for pulling the truck, but is for pulling logs.

I need options. Fast. People are filling my calendar up with tree to collect and some of them are nice specimens. I need to take advantage of this.

Can yall help me brainstorm?

Ray,

This thread has morphed into how to wire for the winch in the receiver mount at the rear of your truck. But if you're still interested in mounting a winch at the front, how about putting a receiver at the front of the truck? Add another electrical connector off the main battery and you can plug your winch in at either end. Plus as Gary and I have learned, it's REALLY nice being able to push trailers around off the front of your truck. It's SO much easier to carefully position a trailer that way.

And going back to the wiring... When i put the receiver-mount winch on my Bronco I put quick-connects at both ends of the Bronco, but I also put one on my winch cradle. Then I made a short "jumper cable" with quick-connects at both ends. That way when I'm driving I can have the winch in the front receiver where it's pretty much out of the way but not have it wired in ("just" tossing it in the bed isn't much of an option with a Bronco like it might be in a pickup). Not saying you should do it this way, but something to keep in mind.

Here is the winch in the front receiver. You can see the red quick-connect on the back side of the winch. The jumper is not hooked up here.

DSC_5721.jpg.45847dfd9baa5a920c813e8e6d23cef2.jpg

And here it's in the rear receiver with the jumper plugged in

DSC_5725.jpg.1c7b8a319f7304e74224883289a2b9dc.jpg

Okay. I need a winch mount for the front of my truck. I am going to buy a 2nd winch for the truck. Just bought one for the trailer. I went with the Harbor Freight 3500 lb winch for the trailer. Might get a 2nd one for the truck. The winch is NOT for pulling the truck, but is for pulling logs.

I need options. Fast. People are filling my calendar up with tree to collect and some of them are nice specimens. I need to take advantage of this.

Can yall help me brainstorm?

Ray,

This thread has morphed into how to wire for the winch in the receiver mount at the rear of your truck. But if you're still interested in mounting a winch at the front, how about putting a receiver at the front of the truck? Add another electrical connector off the main battery and you can plug your winch in at either end. Plus as Gary and I have learned, it's REALLY nice being able to push trailers around off the front of your truck. It's SO much easier to carefully position a trailer that way.

And going back to the wiring... When i put the receiver-mount winch on my Bronco I put quick-connects at both ends of the Bronco, but I also put one on my winch cradle. Then I made a short "jumper cable" with quick-connects at both ends. That way when I'm driving I can have the winch in the front receiver where it's pretty much out of the way but not have it wired in ("just" tossing it in the bed isn't much of an option with a Bronco like it might be in a pickup). Not saying you should do it this way, but something to keep in mind.

Here is the winch in the front receiver. You can see the red quick-connect on the back side of the winch. The jumper is not hooked up here.

And here it's in the rear receiver with the jumper plugged in

Definitely want to do this to mine. I think found a receiver that will fit under my bumper. The new rear bumper has 3 holes in the plate where you would put a ball. I found several receiver with a flat plate that would mount to that part of the bumper as well.