Bullnose Forum

The best logging Truck???

Ray Cecil

Have fun!

But, I don't think placing a battery in the tool box is a good idea. I know you put batteries in a battery box, but there's nothing else in there. But you'll have tools and a winch in yours - while the battery is being charged.

There's no problem under the hood where there's all kinds of air flow, but in a tight tool box I'm afraid the collected gas could damage the tools and be an explosion risk.

I know charging batteries gives off hydrogen. And I'm pretty sure there's some hydrogen sulfide as well. Hydrogen easily can explode, and hydrogen sulfide will go into solution with any moisture to create an acid that will corrode your tools. And there will be moisture that condenses on your tools from the changing temps they will see.

I think the battery needs to be outside the tool box. Perhaps in a separate battery box below the tool box where it isn't easily seen?

This is exactly why I suggested a boat type plastic battery box with a cinch strap to keep it shut.

But I guess someone has to finally reinvent the wheel.

This is exactly why I suggested a boat type plastic battery box with a cinch strap to keep it shut.But I guess someone has to finally reinvent the wheel.
Yup. I knew. :nabble_smiley_wink:

How much H2S04 is going to be created from the H2S? What will that do to the un-anodized aluminum where he makes the vents? Is this a good application for a plastic tool box?

Yup. I knew. :nabble_smiley_wink:

How much H2S04 is going to be created from the H2S? What will that do to the un-anodized aluminum where he makes the vents? Is this a good application for a plastic tool box?
I can't really say.Depends on how much charging is done.Electrolysis splits the sulfuric acid electrolyte creating *mostly* hydrogen, and some H2S.Maybe this is a good application for an alternative battery chemistry?How would a NIMH or LiPo battery fare?Because AFAIK neither of those off gas while charging, and if they do, it must be far less corrosive than a lead acid battery.

I can't really say.

Depends on how much charging is done.

Electrolysis splits the sulfuric acid electrolyte creating *mostly* hydrogen, and some H2S.

Maybe this is a good application for an alternative battery chemistry?

How would a NIMH or LiPo battery fare?

Because AFAIK neither of those off gas while charging, and if they do, it must be far less corrosive than a lead acid battery.

Don't the AGM's, like a Yellowtop, produce less gas? And there are some valve-regulated lead acid (VRLA) batteries that have a vent hose. I know the Miatas have that kind of battery, and they just have a hole in the truck with a fitting in it that the hose goes onto.

....But I guess someone has to finally reinvent the wheel.

Im young. I have time to do things differently.:nabble_anim_blbl:

Yes, I am looking for a plastic tool box and am going to hole saw some vents. Ill use some plywood and silicon to seperate it, unless you chemists think the silicon will spontaneously combust in a reaction with the wood glue and plastic offgassing in the sun ......:nabble_anim_blbl:

Yes, I am looking for a plastic tool box and am going to hole saw some vents. Ill use some plywood and silicon to seperate it, unless you chemists think the silicon will spontaneously combust in a reaction with the wood glue and plastic offgassing in the sun ......:nabble_anim_blbl:

Im feeling very sarcastic right now.....

Im feeling very sarcastic right now.....

Really? Glad you told me. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I had one of those days yesterday. So I understand.

I think a plastic tool box with a wooden divider will work. But the wood will eventually fail due to the gases, so maybe you could find piece of plastic to use?