Bullnose Forums

Fog Light Bezel, Switch, etc

Guys - Many of us would like to have the factory fog light bezel, a workable switch (none are available new that we know of), and whatever else it takes in order to have "factory" lights on the front of our trucks. So, this thread is about trying to 3D print the bezel, find an acceptable switch, and lay out the necessary wiring and relay.

Toward that I found the pictures that Brad Alexander, from FTE, provided me so I could draw up the bezel, and I've put them in this photo gallery. Hopefully with those pictures and additional measurements from those of you who have the bezel I can draw it up and then someone (Reamer?) can print one.

I'll come back later with info on switch possibilities.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent some time today trying to remember how to CAD. And I've forgotten a whole bunch of it. However, I'll persist until I get it drawn.

But, I already know I need some more measurements. Here's what I'd really like to have to get this thing accurate:

• Length, width, and height using calipers. It'll be so much more accurate if I don't take measurements from pictures as parallax is going to be a problem otherwise.

• Radius of the corners

• Bead: I need the thickness and height of the bead that runs around the edge, and the radius of the inside corner. Probably the best way to measure that is with a drill bit. (I said "inside corner" as it appears to me that the outside corner starts where the inside does, so just measure one and I'll figure out the other. Also, is the top of the bead flat or is it really just one big curve?

• Lettering: Height and width of the letters, again using calipers.

• Width and height of the slot, and the radius of the ends.

• diameter and length of the studs on the back. HOWEVER, I don't see a need to make the back of the bezel hollow as the original is, so if you measure the overall length of the stud down to the bottom of the hollow then also give me the depth of the hollow.

Thanks!

I spent some time today trying to remember how to CAD. And I've forgotten a whole bunch of it. However, I'll persist until I get it drawn.

But, I already know I need some more measurements. Here's what I'd really like to have to get this thing accurate:

• Length, width, and height using calipers. It'll be so much more accurate if I don't take measurements from pictures as parallax is going to be a problem otherwise.

• Radius of the corners

• Bead: I need the thickness and height of the bead that runs around the edge, and the radius of the inside corner. Probably the best way to measure that is with a drill bit. (I said "inside corner" as it appears to me that the outside corner starts where the inside does, so just measure one and I'll figure out the other. Also, is the top of the bead flat or is it really just one big curve?

• Lettering: Height and width of the letters, again using calipers.

• Width and height of the slot, and the radius of the ends.

• diameter and length of the studs on the back. HOWEVER, I don't see a need to make the back of the bezel hollow as the original is, so if you measure the overall length of the stud down to the bottom of the hollow then also give me the depth of the hollow.

Thanks!

Hmmm, I vaguely remember doing this back in April 😉...

Okay Gary, here are the measurements on the fog lamp switch bezel. The calipers I had available were the old school dial face type and the readout was in inches, but presumably you can convert to other units if you need to for CAD.

Height: 2 and 3/8

Width: 1 and 41/64

Thickness from instrument bezel face to the top of the bead: 13/64

Height of bead from switch bezel face to the crown of the bead: 3/64

Height of the letter font: 1/8

Letter thickness from switch bezel face to the face of the font: 1/64

Height of lever opening: 1 and 5/16

Width of lever opening: 19/64

Radius of lever opening: 19/64 drill bit shank is snug

Bead radius (inner): 1/8

Bead radius (outer): 3/16

Hopefully my descriptions are clear enough. If you have any questions please ask and I will try to clear up whatever I muddled. Below is another picture that I took. I made every effort to hold the phone in a flat plane with the bezel so it would be rectilinear, but even so I could see obvious barrel distortion and it still looks ever so slightly skewed to me in the frame. Maybe it will be close enough though that you can straighten it up in photoshop and save you some time in CAD. I almost wonder if a more distant shot (cropped) would be better? Again, if I can offer any further help please let me know.

image1.jpg.c5f4853c78c9ffeeb7add1b72e02a0fd.jpg

The full resolution image is in the email 4/5/17 but if you need it again I can re-send it. I didn't know to measure the studs on the back. Obviously mine are melted mushrooms so I can't very well measure the diameter or length.

IMG_2933.jpg.eded387e279571b04571fea46a631693.jpg

Hmmm, I vaguely remember doing this back in April 😉...

Okay Gary, here are the measurements on the fog lamp switch bezel. The calipers I had available were the old school dial face type and the readout was in inches, but presumably you can convert to other units if you need to for CAD.

Height: 2 and 3/8

Width: 1 and 41/64

Thickness from instrument bezel face to the top of the bead: 13/64

Height of bead from switch bezel face to the crown of the bead: 3/64

Height of the letter font: 1/8

Letter thickness from switch bezel face to the face of the font: 1/64

Height of lever opening: 1 and 5/16

Width of lever opening: 19/64

Radius of lever opening: 19/64 drill bit shank is snug

Bead radius (inner): 1/8

Bead radius (outer): 3/16

Hopefully my descriptions are clear enough. If you have any questions please ask and I will try to clear up whatever I muddled. Below is another picture that I took. I made every effort to hold the phone in a flat plane with the bezel so it would be rectilinear, but even so I could see obvious barrel distortion and it still looks ever so slightly skewed to me in the frame. Maybe it will be close enough though that you can straighten it up in photoshop and save you some time in CAD. I almost wonder if a more distant shot (cropped) would be better? Again, if I can offer any further help please let me know.

The full resolution image is in the email 4/5/17 but if you need it again I can re-send it. I didn't know to measure the studs on the back. Obviously mine are melted mushrooms so I can't very well measure the diameter or length.

I had a similarly vague recollection - but couldn't find anything on it. Sorry. Now that you've mentioned it and when I did find it. :nabble_smiley_blush:

But, now we have it in one place that should be easily found. And I'll put your pic from that email in the gallery as well. Thank you very much.

And, I do understand all you have written. It is clear and straightforward.. I'll do some more up-to-speed work this afternoon and see if I can make progress.

I had a similarly vague recollection - but couldn't find anything on it. Sorry. Now that you've mentioned it and when I did find it. :nabble_smiley_blush:

But, now we have it in one place that should be easily found. And I'll put your pic from that email in the gallery as well. Thank you very much.

And, I do understand all you have written. It is clear and straightforward.. I'll do some more up-to-speed work this afternoon and see if I can make progress.

Sounds good Gary! I will try and get some comparison pictures and measurements posted up regarding the fog light switch vs. fuel tank selector switch. I can't promise how far I will get with mocking up the tank switch but I should at least be able to supply the pictures and keep the momentum going with that part.

Sounds good Gary! I will try and get some comparison pictures and measurements posted up regarding the fog light switch vs. fuel tank selector switch. I can't promise how far I will get with mocking up the tank switch but I should at least be able to supply the pictures and keep the momentum going with that part.

Here's my first attempt at creating the base bezel. And, while it is really hard to see in the picture, I may not have the bead correct. I don't think we have a measurement on its width, but I have it drawn at 1/16".

Also, I don't know if the "filet" on it correct, and by that I mean the curve that rounds the corner at the top of the bead. I have the radius as 1/64", but I can't tell from the pictures if the bead has a flat top or if it is round. If so I need to set the radius to 1/32", and as I look more closely at your photo that's what it looks like.

Also, if it is easy when you are measuring the width of the bead, could you measure the centerline of the lettering? I can also interpolate, but it would be nice to have something to check my measurements against. And, what about the distance the lever opening is from the bottom - or top?

Bezel_Capture.thumb.jpg.b6c39acbcf805df3b0346c8359bde830.jpg

Here's my first attempt at creating the base bezel. And, while it is really hard to see in the picture, I may not have the bead correct. I don't think we have a measurement on its width, but I have it drawn at 1/16".

Also, I don't know if the "filet" on it correct, and by that I mean the curve that rounds the corner at the top of the bead. I have the radius as 1/64", but I can't tell from the pictures if the bead has a flat top or if it is round. If so I need to set the radius to 1/32", and as I look more closely at your photo that's what it looks like.

Also, if it is easy when you are measuring the width of the bead, could you measure the centerline of the lettering? I can also interpolate, but it would be nice to have something to check my measurements against. And, what about the distance the lever opening is from the bottom - or top?

Also, Jonathan, I've found a font that closely resembles whatever Ford used. However, when I use a 1/8" tall font the resulting FOG LAMPS is too short end to end. So, could you re-measure the height of the characters? And, maybe measure the length of those two words, together? 😎

Also, Jonathan, I've found a font that closely resembles whatever Ford used. However, when I use a 1/8" tall font the resulting FOG LAMPS is too short end to end. So, could you re-measure the height of the characters? And, maybe measure the length of those two words, together? 😎

Couple things . . . Ford should/would have the same profile on the "bead" as they have only other pieces on the dash. I can't see any reason it would be different. That would mean the top is more flat. And again, the bead height should also be the same as other beaded pieces. Again, it should match the others.

CAD reflection: I prefer to show 2D graphics with no perspective . . thought?

Are you using Solid Works ?

Couple things . . . Ford should/would have the same profile on the "bead" as they have only other pieces on the dash. I can't see any reason it would be different. That would mean the top is more flat. And again, the bead height should also be the same as other beaded pieces. Again, it should match the others.

CAD reflection: I prefer to show 2D graphics with no perspective . . thought?

Are you using Solid Works ?

Pete - Good point on the bead. I'll check out the bezels I have to see what theirs are like. But confirmation from people who have the fog lamp bezel would still be helpful as I'd like it as close to original as is possible.

As for CAD, I'm using TurboCAD, which I've used for a long time but am growing very tired of. However, in things like this I don't find a 2D projection to be helpful. For instance the shape of the bead is almost impossible for me to grasp w/o some angle to the view.

Pete - Good point on the bead. I'll check out the bezels I have to see what theirs are like. But confirmation from people who have the fog lamp bezel would still be helpful as I'd like it as close to original as is possible.

As for CAD, I'm using TurboCAD, which I've used for a long time but am growing very tired of. However, in things like this I don't find a 2D projection to be helpful. For instance the shape of the bead is almost impossible for me to grasp w/o some angle to the view.

Does anyone have an original switch? need to see if we can "match" one from what is available today.....