Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Also I bought the air cleaner hose that goes to the fresh air hole behind the grill. I can make it fit and shove it through the rectangular hole but I think I am missing a plastic housing that goes next to radiator.

Have you had any luck finding the missing plastic piece which attaches to the radiator support?

Yes ! Thanks to a member on here I found a few things I needed .

Still struggling with the choke. If it’s set a 1/8 or a little more closed it runs very rough and smells rich till it warms up. If I leave the choke locked in the up position it starts up and runs good. Perhaps my carb is set too rich?

I also found a small leak from the driveshaft seal. Cleaned all the dirt and gunk from around it. I have to take a drive and see how much it is leaking .

Thanks !

Yes ! Thanks to a member on here I found a few things I needed .

Still struggling with the choke. If it’s set a 1/8 or a little more closed it runs very rough and smells rich till it warms up. If I leave the choke locked in the up position it starts up and runs good. Perhaps my carb is set too rich?

I also found a small leak from the driveshaft seal. Cleaned all the dirt and gunk from around it. I have to take a drive and see how much it is leaking .

Thanks !

On the choke and carb, with the engine fully warmed up adjust the idle mix screw, not the idle speed screw, for max RPM. Then see how the engine does with the choke at 1/8" on the next cold start.

If it still seems rich put a line on the black cap where the index mark is on the carb, and then back it off 1 line. Test it on the next cold start and keep doing that until it runs well. The 1/8" measure was just a starting point.

On the choke and carb, with the engine fully warmed up adjust the idle mix screw, not the idle speed screw, for max RPM. Then see how the engine does with the choke at 1/8" on the next cold start.If it still seems rich put a line on the black cap where the index mark is on the carb, and then back it off 1 line. Test it on the next cold start and keep doing that until it runs well. The 1/8" measure was just a starting point.
Thanks Gary! I will give it a go. 

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 11:49 AM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

Tomorrow I most likely will become the half owner of a truck modified by none other than :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:himself. Stay tuned. :nabble_smiley_wink:

You KNOW him! Man, I need to visit you. And him! :nabble_smiley_evil:

And, you'd go into partnership with him? Sell your soul to the devil too? :nabble_anim_confused:

All joking aside, I'll stay tuned! This I gotta see!

You KNOW him! Man, I need to visit you. And him! :nabble_smiley_evil:

And, you'd go into partnership with him? Sell your soul to the devil too? :nabble_anim_confused:

All joking aside, I'll stay tuned! This I gotta see!

Not in partnership with him, I'm introducing a friend into the world of the Florida Man's handywork. You really will get a kick out of this. :nabble_smiley_tongue:

Drove the truck to home depot today. About 25 mins each way. First substantial ride.

I started it with the choke locked open . Took a couple tries but then she ran nice.

I will try adjusting the choke tomorrow as you said Gary.

I also installed Oil Pressure/Water Temp/Voltage meters. They work good and look good. Just ordered a brass tee so I can have the idiot oil pressure gauge working also.

Where I saw a drive shaft leak to the x-fer case seems to be barely leaking since I cleaned the area. I also ran a thin feeler gauge around that seal to make sure there was no cr*p in there. I saw a little drip after the ride but hardly anything.

In other news I had had asked about starting in 2nd gear because I read that in my owners manual. That did not work out so well. So I looked at my door sticker and the tranny type was B which I think is the OD transmission? My shift knob is not the original so no OD mark on it.

Last thing today is running the green tach wire from my HEI dizzy to the stock tack in the truck which is not working. Can I just run that wire to the C terminal on the back of the tach? Or is my tach broken and I need to get a standalone gauge?

Thanks all!

Drove the truck to home depot today. About 25 mins each way. First substantial ride.

I started it with the choke locked open . Took a couple tries but then she ran nice.

I will try adjusting the choke tomorrow as you said Gary.

I also installed Oil Pressure/Water Temp/Voltage meters. They work good and look good. Just ordered a brass tee so I can have the idiot oil pressure gauge working also.

Where I saw a drive shaft leak to the x-fer case seems to be barely leaking since I cleaned the area. I also ran a thin feeler gauge around that seal to make sure there was no cr*p in there. I saw a little drip after the ride but hardly anything.

In other news I had had asked about starting in 2nd gear because I read that in my owners manual. That did not work out so well. So I looked at my door sticker and the tranny type was B which I think is the OD transmission? My shift knob is not the original so no OD mark on it.

Last thing today is running the green tach wire from my HEI dizzy to the stock tack in the truck which is not working. Can I just run that wire to the C terminal on the back of the tach? Or is my tach broken and I need to get a standalone gauge?

Thanks all!

Decided to torture myself and remove the remaining three rivets holding my driver's side engine perch to the crossmember. It sucked as much as it always does but I've removed bucked rivets so many times now, it only takes me maybe 10 minutes to knock each one out.

It makes me feel good to not have taken the :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: way out and cut the crossmember up to gain access to them. :nabble_smiley_good:

Decided to torture myself and remove the remaining three rivets holding my driver's side engine perch to the crossmember. It sucked as much as it always does but I've removed bucked rivets so many times now, it only takes me maybe 10 minutes to knock each one out.

It makes me feel good to not have taken the :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: way out and cut the crossmember up to gain access to them. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yep, good plan. (I hope I find :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: when I'm the one in possession of his favorite tool. :nabble_smiley_evil:)