Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Gary. I had posted that pic in the other thread as to the progress. Nothing has really changed except for last week Nick did the body work on the front where we hit the parts truck, and we fixed the other side. So today we repainted the 2 front fenders and the left bed side. The wind blew and blew the plastic right onto the fresh paint on the bed behind the door and cuased a big big mess, so now this coming weekend, yet more paint. But on the upside, by this weekend, the driver side should be done and complete, and the passenger side should be done from the front to the back of the door with the stripes.

Finishing up some odds and ends. The interior is pretty much complete now. have to install some trim pieces and that should be a wrap on that. Nick began the engine compartment wireing today

Finished up painting my tailgate today!

The gate was media blasted and then DA'd with 80 grit. Following DA and panel wipe down, it was epoxy coated, filler work done, then epoxy coated again.

Epoxy:

IMG_08221412.jpg.f3d2793d1236058f10321d011d73e2f8.jpg

2k Primer applied:

Base Coat/Clear Coat:

Tailgate_Orange_Peel.jpg.2eea7bd5126564f88905539f4e1dc010.jpg

Wet sanded with 1000, 2000, then 2500:

Cut and buffed. No not my bald head!

Process required a sanding redo in the epoxy stage due to some contaminant that was imbedded in the metal. Had to do that twice and was not happy. Shot my clear as the sun was going down and bugs were entering my shop and giving me heck. As such, only shot two coats of clear. Wanted 3-4. Two is good if your orange peel is slight and you don't expect to cut and buff. Got bug debri in clear that caused me some issues but was later able to fix with light sanding. After the clear dried, I took a look at it and was pretty pleased. That is until I took it outside in the sunlight and saw the runs in it. You can never have enough light!!!

A razor blade helped with that fix:

All that cleaned up nicely:

This is the first time I've ever done anything like this and I could not have picked a worse panel to work on. All those compound surfaces make much grief for a rookie. It's not perfect, but I'm content with it and more importantly it was a nice learning experience.

IMG_09321447.jpg.6586fba33a212aa843fa2aea57ced469.jpg

IMG_09781501.jpg.4676b9745fc5d9ced447a1e431fdad13.jpg

IMG_09801502.jpg.df0cfbd693690623bb4d9ec4e9e5c045.jpg

IMG_09711500.jpg.9c5d76768fe9020a7c0cd47a11e4af1a.jpg

IMG_09821504.jpg.4165bae932ad048ad345673bbe381a1e.jpg

The gate was media blasted and then DA'd with 80 grit. Following DA and panel wipe down, it was epoxy coated, filler work done, then epoxy coated again.

Epoxy:

2k Primer applied:

Base Coat/Clear Coat:

Process required a sanding redo in the epoxy stage due to some contaminant that was imbedded in the metal. Had to do that twice and was not happy. Shot my clear as the sun was going down and bugs were entering my shop and giving me heck. As such, only shot two coats of clear. Wanted 3-4. Two is good if your orange peel is slight and you don't expect to cut and buff. Got bug debri in clear that caused me some issues but was later able to fix with light sanding. After the clear dried, I took a look at it and was pretty pleased. That is until I took it outside in the sunlight and saw the runs in it. You can never have enough light!!!

This is the first time I've ever done anything like this and I could not have picked a worse panel to work on. All those compound surfaces make much grief for a rookie. It's not perfect, but I'm content with it and more importantly it was a nice learning experience.

Looking great John! That mirror like finish (self portrait) is impressive.

Epoxy:

2k Primer applied:

Base Coat/Clear Coat:

John - That looks great! In spite of the difficulties. :nabble_anim_claps:

The large port on the PCV valve goes to your vacuum source(carb or tree), not sure where the top one is suppose to go... Mine was capped when I bought my truck and now I use it to pull the vapors from the charcoal canister. The emissions diagram on your core support should show you, but if you've removed the computer I'm sure you're fine to cap it.

Thanks all! I believe I have all my vacuum hoses correct now. Still need to find the plastic fresh air inlet duct .

I saw a couple on ebay that said they were for 92' F-150 trucks. Looks like they might work. Hard to tell from the pictures.

The choke is still giving me some issues. I bought the manual choke kit just in case I can't sort this out.

One another note I purchased a 1984 F-150 Owners manual on ebay for the grand sum of .99 cents.

I read through it and was surprised to see it says with the truck unloaded and not on a steep incline to start in 2nd gear? This is for the 4 speed tranny with no OD. I have never heard of this and I have owned more than a few old trucks. I never had an owners manual before I suppose.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Josh

Thanks all! I believe I have all my vacuum hoses correct now. Still need to find the plastic fresh air inlet duct .

I saw a couple on ebay that said they were for 92' F-150 trucks. Looks like they might work. Hard to tell from the pictures.

The choke is still giving me some issues. I bought the manual choke kit just in case I can't sort this out.

One another note I purchased a 1984 F-150 Owners manual on ebay for the grand sum of .99 cents.

I read through it and was surprised to see it says with the truck unloaded and not on a steep incline to start in 2nd gear? This is for the 4 speed tranny with no OD. I have never heard of this and I have owned more than a few old trucks. I never had an owners manual before I suppose.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Josh

Glad you got the vacuum sorted. Now for the choke. Where do you have the line on the housing set?

As for the owner's manual, that's a good buy. And it is right, a granny tranny usually starts fine in 2nd.

Glad you got the vacuum sorted. Now for the choke. Where do you have the line on the housing set?As for the owner's manual, that's a good buy. And it is right, a granny tranny usually starts fine in 2nd.
Thanks Gary. It’s a great read actually. I was just getting out of high school. A blast from the past. 

The cap was missing the index line. I took it off and looked carefully but could not find it. There is about an inch area that is rubbed off. It was probably there. 

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 7:14 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

Also I bought the air cleaner hose that goes to the fresh air hole behind the grill. I can make it fit and shove it through the rectangular hole but I think I am missing a plastic housing that goes next to radiator.

Have you had any luck finding the missing plastic piece which attaches to the radiator support?