Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Aren't the grand twins old enough to help by now? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yes, they are old enough. But, they haven’t been taught to follow instructions.

This morning was a good example of that. First crack out of the box he didn’t stop the winch when I told him to STOP. When I got onto him he said “Sorry”. I explained that sorry would NOT cut it and that he had one more chance and then he was done for the day.

After that he did really well. He just hasn’t had to do as told. 😩

Yes, they are old enough. But, they haven’t been taught to follow instructions.

This morning was a good example of that. First crack out of the box he didn’t stop the winch when I told him to STOP. When I got onto him he said “Sorry”. I explained that sorry would NOT cut it and that he had one more chance and then he was done for the day.

After that he did really well. He just hasn’t had to do as told. 😩

"While I'm in there, I might as well..."

So today I decided that while I've got the cabin torn apart, I might as well try to do something with my rusty, crusty gear selector and turn signal levers:

IMG_0223.jpg.ed6692f9c5c8e81c83b2feda4078fe6c.jpg

Like everyone else, I've heard of the steel-wool-and-Coke thing as a way to easily remove rust from chrome, so I thought I'd give it a try. So I picked up some #0000 steel wool from Ace, poured a couple of Cokes into a pie pan, and went to town:

IMG_0226.jpg.1efafade8e8eb3e4b7b1548d53f24a78.jpg

How about that? Worked GREAT. Now...I question whether the Coke contributed anything; I didn't soak the parts in it, I simply dipped the steel wool into the Coke and started rubbing. The rust was coming off at the very first stroke, so I can't imagine that any kind of chemical reaction was helping things along, but I didn't think to try either dry steel wool or steel wool and, say, water on the other piece. So what I'll do is put the parts back on, let them rust for another 39 years, and then update this post in 2058 with the resuts of a Coke-free cleaning with steel wool.

Stay tuned.

So today I decided that while I've got the cabin torn apart, I might as well try to do something with my rusty, crusty gear selector and turn signal levers:

Like everyone else, I've heard of the steel-wool-and-Coke thing as a way to easily remove rust from chrome, so I thought I'd give it a try. So I picked up some #0000 steel wool from Ace, poured a couple of Cokes into a pie pan, and went to town:

How about that? Worked GREAT. Now...I question whether the Coke contributed anything; I didn't soak the parts in it, I simply dipped the steel wool into the Coke and started rubbing. The rust was coming off at the very first stroke, so I can't imagine that any kind of chemical reaction was helping things along, but I didn't think to try either dry steel wool or steel wool and, say, water on the other piece. So what I'll do is put the parts back on, let them rust for another 39 years, and then update this post in 2058 with the resuts of a Coke-free cleaning with steel wool.

Stay tuned.

Dang, you even managed to fill in the hole for the roll pin on the shift lever! :nabble_smiley_happy:

Stay tuned.

Wow! They look great. :nabble_smiley_good: But I think I'll not hold my breath for the durability report.

Dang, you even managed to fill in the hole for the roll pin on the shift lever! :nabble_smiley_happy:

This is why we're so proud of Coca-Cola here in Atlanta - there's nothing it can't do!

Wow! They look great. But I think I'll not hold my breath for the durability report. :nabble_smiley_good:

You'll be what, eleventy-one in 2058? Hang in there! My other grandmother (the one not associated with my truck) is turning 104 in September, and I wouldn't bet against her making it to 111. If she can do it, so can you. :nabble_smiley_happy:

A coat of wax would not hurt! They look good! :nabble_smiley_good:

That's not a bad idea - I rubbed them with a light oil in a bid to slow down future rust, but wax would likely last longer. Of course, cleaning them was so easy that preservation barely seems worth the trouble - but I might do it just on principle.

• 2 weeks later...

This is why we're so proud of Coca-Cola here in Atlanta - there's nothing it can't do!

Wow! They look great. But I think I'll not hold my breath for the durability report. :nabble_smiley_good:

You'll be what, eleventy-one in 2058? Hang in there! My other grandmother (the one not associated with my truck) is turning 104 in September, and I wouldn't bet against her making it to 111. If she can do it, so can you. :nabble_smiley_happy:

A coat of wax would not hurt! They look good! :nabble_smiley_good:

That's not a bad idea - I rubbed them with a light oil in a bid to slow down future rust, but wax would likely last longer. Of course, cleaning them was so easy that preservation barely seems worth the trouble - but I might do it just on principle.

Didn’t work on my Bullnose, but I did trim the door panels on my Bronco.

Had trimmed the passenger side before as it squeaked something fierce on a trip once.

Both sides rattled and I took a close look and you could see where they were rubbing.

Drove it and what a difference! Only downside is I broke the light socket that mounts in the door panel on the passenger side. Found a replacement I’ll have to order and I’m going to make the wires longer so hopefully that won’t happen again.

Didn’t work on my Bullnose, but I did trim the door panels on my Bronco.

Had trimmed the passenger side before as it squeaked something fierce on a trip once.

Both sides rattled and I took a close look and you could see where they were rubbing.

Drove it and what a difference! Only downside is I broke the light socket that mounts in the door panel on the passenger side. Found a replacement I’ll have to order and I’m going to make the wires longer so hopefully that won’t happen again.

Those squeaks and rattles are annoying! I inherited the hatred for them from my father, who was known to ride in the trunk of the car while Mom drove to find out where the noise was coming from.

So I can sympathize with you on not liking them. Glad you found them and got them stopped.

Those squeaks and rattles are annoying! I inherited the hatred for them from my father, who was known to ride in the trunk of the car while Mom drove to find out where the noise was coming from.

So I can sympathize with you on not liking them. Glad you found them and got them stopped.

That’s great! I drive my wife nuts trying to find rattles!

Today I replaced Crusty the Wonderbelt (it may have been the factory-original air pump belt on my truck from the looks of it) with a shiny new belt, thanks to excellent detective work by 'ArdWrknTrk'.

Here's the weird thing - the specified belt for my truck is a Gates #7381, but that belt was too long. The 7359 I ended up putting on there fits perfectly, but is specified for a 1977/78 truck. Are there any good reasons why my truck might take the wrong belt? The engine is definitely original.