Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Wow! That is a lot of wire. And shrink tubing? What's the plan, Stan?

Yeah, a few sizes of shrink tubing since I was starting to run low. Just noticed the red looks pink in the photo.

This is for the 86, 80, equipment trailer, and a gooseneck cattle trailer.

Have enough drive time in the 86 to realize things I want to change with the add-on wiring. Picked up a set of PIAA lights of the same series as my driving lights so going to add some backup aux lights as long as I can make it look good. Would be neat to find a way to make them pivot with power so they aren't seen at all unless needed. But will post more on those changes in the project thread. Primarily I am adding that circuit to better handle the led backup lights I added to the equipment trailer. Not a lot of added amps but it's a long distance and the stock reverse circuit wasn't made for it.

The 80 is getting the headlight mod, need to finish up the lights on the equipment trailer, and the gooseneck is long overdue for a rewire and led update.

Yeah, a few sizes of shrink tubing since I was starting to run low. Just noticed the red looks pink in the photo.

This is for the 86, 80, equipment trailer, and a gooseneck cattle trailer.

Have enough drive time in the 86 to realize things I want to change with the add-on wiring. Picked up a set of PIAA lights of the same series as my driving lights so going to add some backup aux lights as long as I can make it look good. Would be neat to find a way to make them pivot with power so they aren't seen at all unless needed. But will post more on those changes in the project thread. Primarily I am adding that circuit to better handle the led backup lights I added to the equipment trailer. Not a lot of added amps but it's a long distance and the stock reverse circuit wasn't made for it.

The 80 is getting the headlight mod, need to finish up the lights on the equipment trailer, and the gooseneck is long overdue for a rewire and led update.

Scott - Where do you get your supplies? I get my wire from Great Lakes Skipper and my Magnalugs, split loom, and shrink tubing from Century Tools.

As for pivoting lights with power, have you though about using a power mirror as the mount?

The shop should have checked the front end out before putting it on the rack because if the wheels are moving there is no way they can set anything.

Mine does the same thing and I know everything is new, I did the work, and was checked by the shop before it hit the rack.

Part of mine is the kingpins are to tight and the steering wheel will not return to center from a turn.

Part of that could also be caster or lack there of but it was within spec.

The other is no sway bars.

There was a post in the other forum in the older area of a member installing them on his truck and said with just the front helped make it stable in turns & over bumps.

He did install a rear bar and said it helped a little more but then found it was hitting the frame or body and removed it till he could find a bar to fit better.

I would love to install sway bars but the ones on Ebay for the F & R and brackets is like $400+ and being cheap not going to happen.

Dave ----

I put a set of front and rear sway bars on Darth from a 1990 F250 2WD. The definitely improved the handling on corners, but the 168" wheelbase helps too as far as sweeping curves.

On the king pins, are they new? If so were the bushings reamed properly or are yours plastic? I still have the original 1986 king pins in Darth and they are still well within tolerance, but I do grease them regularly.

The shop should have checked the front end out before putting it on the rack because if the wheels are moving there is no way they can set anything.

Mine does the same thing and I know everything is new, I did the work, and was checked by the shop before it hit the rack.

Part of mine is the kingpins are to tight and the steering wheel will not return to center from a turn.

Part of that could also be caster or lack there of but it was within spec.

The other is no sway bars.

There was a post in the other forum in the older area of a member installing them on his truck and said with just the front helped make it stable in turns & over bumps.

He did install a rear bar and said it helped a little more but then found it was hitting the frame or body and removed it till he could find a bar to fit better.

I would love to install sway bars but the ones on Ebay for the F & R and brackets is like $400+ and being cheap not going to happen.

Dave ----

Thanks Dave. Yep, I just dropped $600 on new tires so spending $400 on a sway bar right now is too much.

As long as it's not dangerous it's not too bad, just very annoying.

I guess it's OK just to do the front sway bar or does it need both?

Once it warms up some I will do a better inspection and read up on front parts and their workings.

Scott - Where do you get your supplies? I get my wire from Great Lakes Skipper and my Magnalugs, split loom, and shrink tubing from Century Tools.

As for pivoting lights with power, have you though about using a power mirror as the mount?

I typically get my wire from ac/dc wire and supply via ebay. They have some really good packages available. They don't carry 10awg txl though so I get that through CE Auto Electric Supply. Shrink tubing I usually get via amazon or ebay. Have used a few different sellers and haven't noticed any difference beside shades of red. For the magnalugs I use Zorro.

I just checked out the Great Lakes Skipper site and I see being Marine that they have the tinned wire but I didn't see anything smaller than 6awg. Maybe I was just in the wrong section though.

The power window might do it! That's will be something fun to research. There is a very good chance that the lights may be too "busy" for my preference and will get used somewhere else :nabble_smiley_thinking:

I typically get my wire from ac/dc wire and supply via ebay. They have some really good packages available. They don't carry 10awg txl though so I get that through CE Auto Electric Supply. Shrink tubing I usually get via amazon or ebay. Have used a few different sellers and haven't noticed any difference beside shades of red. For the magnalugs I use Zorro.

I just checked out the Great Lakes Skipper site and I see being Marine that they have the tinned wire but I didn't see anything smaller than 6awg. Maybe I was just in the wrong section though.

The power window might do it! That's will be something fun to research. There is a very good chance that the lights may be too "busy" for my preference and will get used somewhere else :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Thanks, Scott. I've not ordered anything as small as #8 so hadn't tried GLS for that. But I don't see it on there, so I think you are right.

I'll have to compare Zorro's prices for Magnalugs next time around.

And, by the way, that was "power mirrors" not "power windows". :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thanks, Scott. I've not ordered anything as small as #8 so hadn't tried GLS for that. But I don't see it on there, so I think you are right.

I'll have to compare Zorro's prices for Magnalugs next time around.

And, by the way, that was "power mirrors" not "power windows". :nabble_smiley_wink:

Typo on my part - I was picturing mirrors though :nabble_smiley_good:

With Zoro(another typo) they usually have free shipping over 75 as well as a percentage off coupon if you leave something in your cart for a bit. Haven't compared prices either.

Typo on my part - I was picturing mirrors though :nabble_smiley_good:

With Zoro(another typo) they usually have free shipping over 75 as well as a percentage off coupon if you leave something in your cart for a bit. Haven't compared prices either.

I've been towing off my rear bumper ever since I got the truck and have long wanted to put a tow hitch on it. Yesterday, that is exactly what I did. Install was so easy I was certain I did something wrong. No blood given either!!!

Hitch1.jpg.f992c6f91fa6dee6bb7626a8d0331b44.jpg

Hitch5.jpg.e8882dd182b782004c5de904181f3245.jpg

Hitch2.thumb.jpg.c427cc2c71aaf8b12fa1aa14d7638a86.jpg

Hitch4.thumb.jpg.d96f27db19f365901c3d5410b3ef4f0d.jpg

I've been towing off my rear bumper ever since I got the truck and have long wanted to put a tow hitch on it. Yesterday, that is exactly what I did. Install was so easy I was certain I did something wrong. No blood given either!!!

Looks good! :nabble_smiley_good:

For others who might be interested, is this what you installed?

https://www.etrailer.com/p-14001.html?hhyear=1984&hhmake=Ford&hhmodel=F-150,+F-250,+F-350