Bullnose Forum

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

My driver's side hinges were just about done for so I replaced them with the good set from my old cab. That ended up being a fun ordeal since the old hinges had washers between them and the door for whatever reason. Yanked those out, aligned the door, and now it closes like a dream.

Randy - Sorry to see that. Seems like a lot of work. Good luck!

Shaun - Glad you got that adjusted. That can be tedious to get right.

Randy - Sorry to see that. Seems like a lot of work. Good luck!

Today I popped the hood and took the first good hard look under the hood of Little Blue 82.

Man, Gary I know you said California had more emissions garbage......I dont see a smog pump. Guess thats long gone.

Anyway, lots of vacuum lines to rip off and junk egr valve.

20190419_183309.jpg.4095eff9b1258e4736a4d49880ea429a.jpg

It helps that my dad was an auto body tech for the ten years I knew him. I would rather have spent our weekends together doing something other than watching him work our weekends away, but I did learn a lot about aligning panels and taping off trim.

It helps that my dad was an auto body tech for the ten years I knew him. I would rather have spent our weekends together doing something other than watching him work our weekends away, but I did learn a lot about aligning panels and taping off trim.

Ray - Luckily the wiring for the EEC should be stand-alone. I cut mine out of the '82, but there may be a market for the CA-spec ones, so you might want to tease it out gently and store it. Some of the guys in CA might pay handsomely for it later.

Shaun - Some of my best memories are working on a vehicle for or with my father. Like the time we made a spring compressor for the coils on the front of my '58 Chevy. Sears had just come out with the first ratcheting end wrench, and we used two pieces of all-thread with hooks on one end to grab the spring and a nut/hook combo on the other to run down and compress the spring.

And, we used a pair of the new ratcheting end wrenches. Got the spring compressed and out, and then realized that to make the apparatus release the spring we had to remove the wrench and turn it over. We both realized it at the same time, looked up at each other, grinned, and started rolling around on the ground laughing like crazy. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Ray - Luckily the wiring for the EEC should be stand-alone. I cut mine out of the '82, but there may be a market for the CA-spec ones, so you might want to tease it out gently and store it. Some of the guys in CA might pay handsomely for it later.

Shaun - Some of my best memories are working on a vehicle for or with my father. Like the time we made a spring compressor for the coils on the front of my '58 Chevy. Sears had just come out with the first ratcheting end wrench, and we used two pieces of all-thread with hooks on one end to grab the spring and a nut/hook combo on the other to run down and compress the spring.

And, we used a pair of the new ratcheting end wrenches. Got the spring compressed and out, and then realized that to make the apparatus release the spring we had to remove the wrench and turn it over. We both realized it at the same time, looked up at each other, grinned, and started rolling around on the ground laughing like crazy. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Bit the bullet and picked up this early floor plate on Ebay for my F350. There's a reason I needed this one and only a few of you probably even know there's a difference. For a hint, look at the first page of this thread.

DSCN1980.jpg.9b9267cc09cbd649964e1f771d8dff87.jpg

T19 is the later version. This is for an NP435/T18. However that is not the reason I am referring to. Here's another hint.

Shaun - Sorry, but I’m dense so you are going have to tell me. 😩

As for what I’ve done to or with my truck today, or for the last few days, nada. My wife and I’ve been in Branson since Thursday. Should be home this evening, but have now stopped in Eureka Springs, where I found the truck below. It is owned by Jon Mourghio, and it is an ‘81 with pin locks and amber turn signals.

Jon said he will join.

F25E0FB8-C2F4-4477-AB79-92D1076A34B2.jpeg.9061ede88eec2e3a69ed6f96f0f94808.jpeg

Some, but not all of the 80-81 trucks with threaded shift knobs received brushed aluminum trim rings around the shift boots. They were an option on both Automatic 4x4 and Manual trucks, although I have no earthly idea what the criteria was for their usage. I've seen them on Custom trucks, all the way to Ranger Lariats. I've also seen each trim level without.

The 80-81 (maybe early 82 carryover) trucks used a smaller shift boot for the transmission, similar in size to the transfer case boot. These trim rings will not fit around the 83+ larger boot, so if one were to add them like I am, one would either need to modify a newer floor plate/inspection cover, or source the correct early style like I did.

Some, but not all of the 80-81 trucks with threaded shift knobs received brushed aluminum trim rings around the shift boots. They were an option on both Automatic 4x4 and Manual trucks, although I have no earthly idea what the criteria was for their usage. I've seen them on Custom trucks, all the way to Ranger Lariats. I've also seen each trim level without.

The 80-81 (maybe early 82 carryover) trucks used a smaller shift boot for the transmission, similar in size to the transfer case boot. These trim rings will not fit around the 83+ larger boot, so if one were to add them like I am, one would either need to modify a newer floor plate/inspection cover, or source the correct early style like I did.

Ahhh! Now I understand.

However, the trim ring I have appears to be stainless, not brushed aluminum. It is NOS, but I haven't checked to see if it fits any of the boots I'm going to run. But, on Dad's truck I'll be using the lower cover and could probably make the early boot fit the BW1356, and therefore use the trim ring I have.

So, please document what you do. :nabble_smiley_good: