Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Mark, Did you put the base from the AOD (upper pic) on to the standard trans ( lower pic ) ?

If so, was it a simple parts swap, or did you have to modify anything. Thanks, Bill

Replaced the factory original alternator....at least as tough as the top bolt was to get out I'm saying it hadn't been twisted on since 1984 πŸ˜‚ half a can of pb blaster later, a cheater pipe, and talking real ugly to it and a solid hour later we are now charging! Still chasing a problem with the key not turning the engine off 😐 I'm replacing the ignition switch again tomorrow, I was suspect of the one I got from O'Reilly's it looked to me to have been installed before...there were tool marks from where the bolts had been seated and the terminals appeared to be dirty. Against my better judgement I convinced myself it was reconditioned...I should have returned it. It was a standard brand and over the years I hadn't had any real issues with their stuff, my gut feel is someone kinda cleaned up their broken unit and returned it for a refund....I could be wrong, but at any rate my loss and lesson learned. I'm still convinced it's my starter switch as all the tests I've read to do appear to check out. At any rate today brought on a new alternator and I count today as a win. Pulling the fuel cell tomorrow for a extreme clean. Hope to have it running off it's tank this weekend weather permitting.

Replaced the factory original alternator....at least as tough as the top bolt was to get out I'm saying it hadn't been twisted on since 1984 πŸ˜‚ half a can of pb blaster later, a cheater pipe, and talking real ugly to it and a solid hour later we are now charging! Still chasing a problem with the key not turning the engine off 😐 I'm replacing the ignition switch again tomorrow, I was suspect of the one I got from O'Reilly's it looked to me to have been installed before...there were tool marks from where the bolts had been seated and the terminals appeared to be dirty. Against my better judgement I convinced myself it was reconditioned...I should have returned it. It was a standard brand and over the years I hadn't had any real issues with their stuff, my gut feel is someone kinda cleaned up their broken unit and returned it for a refund....I could be wrong, but at any rate my loss and lesson learned. I'm still convinced it's my starter switch as all the tests I've read to do appear to check out. At any rate today brought on a new alternator and I count today as a win. Pulling the fuel cell tomorrow for a extreme clean. Hope to have it running off it's tank this weekend weather permitting.

it is very likely that someone did that. clerks rarely check, either out of ignorance, lack of givadamm, or even fear of confronting the type of person who would do that type of thing. I have been bitten by the crooks before too. its stealing from the crowd . plain and simple.

it is very likely that someone did that. clerks rarely check, either out of ignorance, lack of givadamm, or even fear of confronting the type of person who would do that type of thing. I have been bitten by the crooks before too. its stealing from the crowd . plain and simple.

Mark that sounds like a lot of fun. I did a similar revival about 3 years ago but managed to salvage the carb.. then it sat for another year unfortunately.

I could have used some PB blaster yesterday. My new seals came from LMC 4 days after being ordered! While working on the left side vent window the spring tension bolt was also probably tightened 1984.. I snapped it and spent the time grinding down another bolt and welding it on the frame assembly..

Today I go to the right and will use way more heat and PB blaster this time.

Also no one will be hanging my welds on the fridge anytime soon. Don’t laugh

4E76C9D6-7DB0-4DA4-BE2B-D9B365D8FAEA.jpeg.ba40c344c68764cde041c3b4176855c9.jpeg

Mark that sounds like a lot of fun. I did a similar revival about 3 years ago but managed to salvage the carb.. then it sat for another year unfortunately.

I could have used some PB blaster yesterday. My new seals came from LMC 4 days after being ordered! While working on the left side vent window the spring tension bolt was also probably tightened 1984.. I snapped it and spent the time grinding down another bolt and welding it on the frame assembly..

that is a fine job of saving that vent window. don't be too worried about the welding. if it's a solid weld then clean it up and don't forget a little shot of paint. I still use Anti seize to "grease" these when I reassemble. gray anti-seize doesn't drip any oily residue. just use enough to change the color. no globs.

Good job!

Not laughing, it’s way better than I can do. As Matt said, good job saving it.

• 2 weeks later...

Took my grandson to see a monster truck show at a speed way in Texarkana. Little dude was scared to death of the sound of 1000+ horsepower.... he's only two, so I have time to correct the issue 😁

Came home cleaned up much of my new wiring I'd done installing my ignition and removing the EEC. Hid new wires, did away with butt connectors etc.

But another thing I'd started was door panels mine are extremely chalked, most everything I'm seeing in the SY are just not what I'm going to be happy with. I'm leaning towards new reproduction, but just to see I played with one of mine. So one day this week I'd washed one, sanded it with 220 stepping up to 400. Washed it one more time, left to dry, tack clothed, hit it with adhesion promoter, and sprayed it with "true blue" matte sheen Rust-Oleum. The Sheen looks about right to me, and the color I'm pretty sure I can live with.... I'm just not wild about paint over plastic. Jury is still out.... FWIW I've used SEM paints before on the interior but locally I couldn't find any of it in a color I could live with.

Before

20220317_095653.jpg.88a15daa0b8c5cf7216d227abc8543bb.jpg

After

20220319_180716.jpg.5630cf1d22a88e63fc72325a3e76b225.jpg

I agree with the other two post your welding looks fine, much better than mine. My granddad was notorious for saying "I bet it will hold" and I've adopted that same policy when it comes to welding.

Great job, I've got to tackle the door/window seals soon myself.

Took my grandson to see a monster truck show at a speed way in Texarkana. Little dude was scared to death of the sound of 1000+ horsepower.... he's only two, so I have time to correct the issue 😁

Came home cleaned up much of my new wiring I'd done installing my ignition and removing the EEC. Hid new wires, did away with butt connectors etc.

But another thing I'd started was door panels mine are extremely chalked, most everything I'm seeing in the SY are just not what I'm going to be happy with. I'm leaning towards new reproduction, but just to see I played with one of mine. So one day this week I'd washed one, sanded it with 220 stepping up to 400. Washed it one more time, left to dry, tack clothed, hit it with adhesion promoter, and sprayed it with "true blue" matte sheen Rust-Oleum. The Sheen looks about right to me, and the color I'm pretty sure I can live with.... I'm just not wild about paint over plastic. Jury is still out.... FWIW I've used SEM paints before on the interior but locally I couldn't find any of it in a color I could live with.

Before

After

Yes, you have time to correct that fear. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Nice work on the panel. I’d run it were I you. And if later you don’t like them then you can replace them.

Yes, you have time to correct that fear. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Nice work on the panel. I’d run it were I you. And if later you don’t like them then you can replace them.

Gary, that's what I'm thinking about doing. I'm going to let this one cure for the next several days. I just want to see if the paint stays soft or if it sets up good. I've got nothing but time on my hands so we shall see.

Gary, that's what I'm thinking about doing. I'm going to let this one cure for the next several days. I just want to see if the paint stays soft or if it sets up good. I've got nothing but time on my hands so we shall see.

Door panel looks great! Good work!