Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Well, you've kept busy with these truck, that's for sure. But an F150 for wood storage? That is a crying shame.

It's not exactly how I would have liked to see the truck go, but it's not my truck anymore and that's what happens when you sell them. I follow the owner on Ebay, and have seen a large amount of the parts from the truck go up for sale. Funny how I can recognize most of them after spending so much time with that truck. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Replaced the heater core today.

Was kind of dreading it, but went to the parts store and they had one.

So, looked into it, pulled the glove box and the glove box door and pulled the panel to see what I had, and there was the heater core!

Went well and fairly quick.

So, looked into it, pulled the glove box and the glove box door and pulled the panel to see what I had, and there was the heater core!

It's not bad on A/C trucks. It's worse on heater only trucks. If I remember correctly, you have to pull the dash out of the way. It's the same on my Rangers, which really sucks.

Not too bad on some trucks. :nabble_smiley_good:

Not too bad on some trucks. :nabble_smiley_good:

One of the ladies at the parts store who usually works the counter, was the cashier today, she saw the year and remarked, “oh it’s an 86.”

“I had an 86 Bronco, it was the easiest heater core I ever did!” I asked if it had A/C, she said it did. I was slightly encouraged!

One of the ladies at the parts store who usually works the counter, was the cashier today, she saw the year and remarked, “oh it’s an 86.”

“I had an 86 Bronco, it was the easiest heater core I ever did!” I asked if it had A/C, she said it did. I was slightly encouraged!

Yes, the A/C systems are easy. Apparently not so the others, although I've not had to change one of those so don't know for sure.

Yes, the A/C systems are easy. Apparently not so the others, although I've not had to change one of those so don't know for sure.

My 1970 chev c10 , I had to pull the passenger side front fender off to access the heater coil. Once the fender was out of the way it was not that hard.

My 1970 chev c10 , I had to pull the passenger side front fender off to access the heater coil. Once the fender was out of the way it was not that hard.

I had a 1968 C10. I have a scar on my left hand when the passenger fender well fell on it when I was putting it back together.

I was sure it was from changing the heater core, but couldn’t remember, I think you jogged my memory!

I had a 1968 C10. I have a scar on my left hand when the passenger fender well fell on it when I was putting it back together.

I was sure it was from changing the heater core, but couldn’t remember, I think you jogged my memory!

I have spent the past week replacing all the weatherstripping on the doors and the rear tailgate and rear window (except the hardtop windows and seals as I have no intention of removing it any time soon and it is not leaking).

I then directed my attention to the now noticeable leak in my driver’s floor. I had read where the cowl could leak and it get into the cab, so I started exploring. Once mission creep set in I was too deep to turn back. Sadly enough I ended up needing to remove the cowl that I just replaced and put. New hood to cowl weatherstrip in place. I think I have found the problem and while I am disappointed, I have seen much worse and know that I am probably fortunate. I have spent the last day reading the prior post where others have tried to find their leaks. I have also spent time reading through Steve83s pages on his repairs. Anyway. Here are the pictures and what I think to be the problem.

3233C981-E313-431D-AA85-9FFE0A8DAE3B.jpeg.f43b683e30abe409c9d8ffde9ff0ef74.jpeg

5391F21F-961E-40C0-BA33-1268CCBD85BE.thumb.jpeg.ba9e59640344413a816ac5dd9d3b7a00.jpeg

D688B84B-9D95-42A3-8925-84C812C73B8D.thumb.jpeg.718ce3a0a3b864f0502b485a0b194b62.jpeg

578A5175-3BB9-4D10-80E9-333911B56C3A.thumb.jpeg.2cbce4ecb506d682efe2892f35defab0.jpeg

97540A09-1349-4E25-802E-6219DAB78D81.thumb.jpeg.13477264e11c26f85e5cdebb83f688df.jpeg

Also found this hole the other day. I find it odd to be on the high spot with minimal problems on the low area. I assume that the moisture just stays longer under the seats and causes more damage.

488256C6-7FE5-4338-BF49-B0103758D084.jpeg.2d7f808a5ad78c52e2d635d415ae3987.jpeg

Now I need to buy a welder and learn how to use it. :nabble_anim_confused:

I have spent the past week replacing all the weatherstripping on the doors and the rear tailgate and rear window (except the hardtop windows and seals as I have no intention of removing it any time soon and it is not leaking).

I then directed my attention to the now noticeable leak in my driver’s floor. I had read where the cowl could leak and it get into the cab, so I started exploring. Once mission creep set in I was too deep to turn back. Sadly enough I ended up needing to remove the cowl that I just replaced and put. New hood to cowl weatherstrip in place. I think I have found the problem and while I am disappointed, I have seen much worse and know that I am probably fortunate. I have spent the last day reading the prior post where others have tried to find their leaks. I have also spent time reading through Steve83s pages on his repairs. Anyway. Here are the pictures and what I think to be the problem.

5391F21F-961E-40C0-BA33-1268CCBD85BE.jpeg

D688B84B-9D95-42A3-8925-84C812C73B8D.jpeg

578A5175-3BB9-4D10-80E9-333911B56C3A.jpeg

97540A09-1349-4E25-802E-6219DAB78D81.jpeg

Also found this hole the other day. I find it odd to be on the high spot with minimal problems on the low area. I assume that the moisture just stays longer under the seats and causes more damage.

Now I need to buy a welder and learn how to use it. :nabble_anim_confused:

It is good that you found the leak as well as the source. But, I'm not sure that you can easily repair that with a welder. However, maybe I misunderstand what your intentions are.

The issue is that the metal is really thin where it has rusted, so you can't easily weld up the holes as you'll burn through. I tried to fill holes on Big Blue that were a lot smaller than yours and I burned through, badly. What I wound up doing was to braze the holes shut. But I don't think that will work for you as your holes are too large to fill with brazing.

If it was me I'd check with Tabco and see if their Cab Floor w/ Outer Flanges has all the sheetmetal you need. If so you could trim it to fit and glue it in w/o welding.

It is good that you found the leak as well as the source. But, I'm not sure that you can easily repair that with a welder. However, maybe I misunderstand what your intentions are.

The issue is that the metal is really thin where it has rusted, so you can't easily weld up the holes as you'll burn through. I tried to fill holes on Big Blue that were a lot smaller than yours and I burned through, badly. What I wound up doing was to braze the holes shut. But I don't think that will work for you as your holes are too large to fill with brazing.

If it was me I'd check with Tabco and see if their Cab Floor w/ Outer Flanges has all the sheetmetal you need. If so you could trim it to fit and glue it in w/o welding.

I will look at that. I was thinking I would just need to cut out the bad area and weld in a new floor pan. If it is too thin for that, then your idea of gluing a new one in might be my option. I saw where there was a TAB on Steve83s page about repairing those with a patch panel.

As for the hole in the cowl, I was going to finish taking out the dash and attempt to reinforce it and seal it from below and then put more sealant on top in the cowl area. 🤷🏻 So much to learn on this stuff.

William