Bullnose Forum

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I didn't 'sleep' well... :nabble_smiley_sad:

So far this morning I've checked the exhaust closer and don't think that's the problem.

I took my IR thermometer and noted no big differences in exhaust port temps (dead cylinder)

I used a long screwdriver to listen up and down both valve covers.

Nothing out of the ordinary.

I definitely need to dig into the carb. It does act like the idle circuit is fine but just off idle it struggles terribly.

Here's hoping I have a bit of fuel line and can get the 750 off without tearing the gasket, because I've got no way to get to an auto parts store.

I wouldn’t have slept well either.

Those tests rule out other things, so it is carb time. Good luck!

So far this morning I've checked the exhaust closer and don't think that's the problem.

I took my IR thermometer and noted no big differences in exhaust port temps (dead cylinder)

I definitely need to dig into the carb. It does act like the idle circuit is fine but just off idle it struggles terribly.

Here's hoping I have a bit of fuel line and can get the 750 off without tearing the gasket, because I've got no way to get to an auto parts store.

I had a similar issue with the 2150 on my 84. Around and around for weeks, replace all the vacuum lines, had the carburetor rebuild twice, adjusted the float lots of times. New coil, and a ICM, (both were needed any way) And it would be fine for a short time. Turned out there was a very small bur where the power valves gasket seats, and this bur would cut a groove in the gasket. And the power valve would fill with gas , and the cycle would start again.

Fine steel wool, and a very small amount of oil on the gasket has it “fixed” for now.

But my knowledge of carburetors is very basic, and someone on here said I should check the power valve gasket.

Since you don't have a cat, this doesn't apply except for the clogged exhaust idea. My ex wife learned from her parents to tool around town in entirely too high a gear for her speed when driving a stick. And unless she was mad, she tooled slowly around town always, never trully blowing the exhaust sytem out properly. She has ruined the cats in 4 cars since 1994. And it was always similar to what you describe - idle fine, but start adding speed and it would be okay for a mile or so, then it was like you turned on a governor that denied all power and throttle. Might be worth a further check. COuld a varmint have crawled in there somewhere? Nested or died?

Good luck finding it.

Jim, sorry for your problems. You sure it's not electronic ignition, possibly the pickup coil? What about the coil, have you checked that?

Jim, sorry for your problems. You sure it's not electronic ignition, possibly the pickup coil? What about the coil, have you checked that?

Another "It's not worth it's own thread" thing from yesterday. And maybe it's not worth a post. But why not?

Context: My Alma Mater is Purdue (BS EET 2015, New Albany, IN campus, but we're all one Boilermaker family). If you're an IU or Notre Dame fan, I am so not sorry!

While poking around the local goodwill, I found an upgrade for the Purdue license plate any vehicle I drive "must" have.

Old:

IMG_20210816_205833.jpg.5d1b939fbde0d630e11077da94296a16.jpg

Don't get me wrong, that's a beautiful plate... but printed plastic plates in my experience don't hold up (but for the $1 I found it for, it's better than no plate!). I think the new one will do a lot better:

IMG_20210817_195005.jpg.0375c19106c8ec1f064a12436e3ac16b.jpg

It has a couple small dents, but otherwise the chrome is still in great shape. For $3, at least in my case, it's a no brainer. I love how it blends into the rest of the bumper... like the plate isn't there.

I also replaced the plate hardware (front and back) with a security screw kit I got a Walmart. Beats the really cheap rusting/cracking hardware I had before (which came with some knockoff junk mirrors I bought when I first got the truck).

Boiler Up! :nabble_smiley_good:

Another "It's not worth it's own thread" thing from yesterday. And maybe it's not worth a post. But why not?

Context: My Alma Mater is Purdue (BS EET 2015, New Albany, IN campus, but we're all one Boilermaker family). If you're an IU or Notre Dame fan, I am so not sorry!

While poking around the local goodwill, I found an upgrade for the Purdue license plate any vehicle I drive "must" have.

Old:

Don't get me wrong, that's a beautiful plate... but printed plastic plates in my experience don't hold up (but for the $1 I found it for, it's better than no plate!). I think the new one will do a lot better:

It has a couple small dents, but otherwise the chrome is still in great shape. For $3, at least in my case, it's a no brainer. I love how it blends into the rest of the bumper... like the plate isn't there.

I also replaced the plate hardware (front and back) with a security screw kit I got a Walmart. Beats the really cheap rusting/cracking hardware I had before (which came with some knockoff junk mirrors I bought when I first got the truck).

Boiler Up! :nabble_smiley_good:

Are you worried someone will steal your plate, or take it off and throw it away? :nabble_anim_confused:

Seriously though, I often wondered why they are called the boiler makers. I find this website that says the origin was a newspaper article that said "Wabash Snowed Completely Under by the Burly Boiler Makers from Purdue." Is that the story you've heard?

Are you worried someone will steal your plate, or take it off and throw it away? :nabble_anim_confused:

Only in Bloomington (IU) and South Bend (Notre Dame). Honestly that was the cheapest decent looking screw kit Walmart had.... The rusty screws looked bad on all that chrome.

Seriously though, I often wondered why they are called the boiler makers. I find this website that says the origin was a newspaper article that said "Wabash Snowed Completely Under by the Burly Boiler Makers from Purdue." Is that the story you've heard?

I've always heard it was due to the industry in the area... but it honestly never came up much... part of being on a satellite campus... whole lot of losers still wearing UK and U of L crap to class! We did take many classes at IU Southeast though (Purdue handled the financial stuff and engineering technology classed, IUS handled all the scheduling, core classes, and other stuff).

Per Wikipedia, what I heard was kinda right:

In 1889, the Purdue football team played Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Indiana, and won the game 18-4. Students from the college and citizens of Crawfordsville began calling the Purdue players "a great big burly gang of corn-huskers", "grangers", "pumpkin-shuckers", "railsplitters", "blacksmiths," "cornfield sailors", and "foundry hands". The Purdue students experienced hands-on education at the university, including the maintenance of a fully operational steam locomotive.[4][5]

Purdue defeated Wabash College again in 1891, 44–0. An account of the game in the Crawfordsville Daily Argus News of October 26, 1891, was headlined, "Slaughter of Innocents: Wabash Snowed Completely Under by the Burly Boiler Makers from Purdue". Purdue became known as the Boilermakers the next year.[4]

Several of the local schools added to the boilermaker tradition by suggesting that Purdue was going up the Wabash River and hiring workers from the nearby Monon railroad yards to play football. Purdue's official mascot is a locomotive, the Boilermaker Special. The Monon Railroad had its main locomotive shops in Lafayette, not far from campus.

I do know that Monon colored it's locomotives in a variety of schemes, each after a College their Indiana rail system served... At least we aren't the "Cornfield Sailors"!

Only in Bloomington (IU) and South Bend (Notre Dame). Honestly that was the cheapest decent looking screw kit Walmart had.... The rusty screws looked bad on all that chrome.

I've always heard it was due to the industry in the area... but it honestly never came up much... part of being on a satellite campus... whole lot of losers still wearing UK and U of L crap to class! We did take many classes at IU Southeast though (Purdue handled the financial stuff and engineering technology classed, IUS handled all the scheduling, core classes, and other stuff).

Per Wikipedia, what I heard was kinda right:

In 1889, the Purdue football team played Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Indiana, and won the game 18-4. Students from the college and citizens of Crawfordsville began calling the Purdue players "a great big burly gang of corn-huskers", "grangers", "pumpkin-shuckers", "railsplitters", "blacksmiths," "cornfield sailors", and "foundry hands". The Purdue students experienced hands-on education at the university, including the maintenance of a fully operational steam locomotive.[4][5]

Purdue defeated Wabash College again in 1891, 44–0. An account of the game in the Crawfordsville Daily Argus News of October 26, 1891, was headlined, "Slaughter of Innocents: Wabash Snowed Completely Under by the Burly Boiler Makers from Purdue". Purdue became known as the Boilermakers the next year.[4]

Several of the local schools added to the boilermaker tradition by suggesting that Purdue was going up the Wabash River and hiring workers from the nearby Monon railroad yards to play football. Purdue's official mascot is a locomotive, the Boilermaker Special. The Monon Railroad had its main locomotive shops in Lafayette, not far from campus.

I do know that Monon colored it's locomotives in a variety of schemes, each after a College their Indiana rail system served... At least we aren't the "Cornfield Sailors"!

My son went to Concordia College in Moorhead Minnesota (out on the North Dakota border). Their mascot is an ear of corn, with their team name being the Cobbers! But at least that isn't as bad as Moorhead High School who's name is the Spuds! (of course, I suppose I shouldn't talk, my alma mater has a small rodent as a mascot, but at least the gopher is golden!)

My son went to Concordia College in Moorhead Minnesota (out on the North Dakota border). Their mascot is an ear of corn, with their team name being the Cobbers! But at least that isn't as bad as Moorhead High School who's name is the Spuds! (of course, I suppose I shouldn't talk, my alma mater has a small rodent as a mascot, but at least the gopher is golden!)

Larry - That's pretty much the story I read as well. Nothing wrong with boilers or locomotives, or the people who make them. I come from a railroading family, and worked 18 months there, although not on a steam locomotive.

Bob - And I thought Corn Huskers was a bad team name!

Larry - That's pretty much the story I read as well. Nothing wrong with boilers or locomotives, or the people who make them. I come from a railroading family, and worked 18 months there, although not on a steam locomotive.

Bob - And I thought Corn Huskers was a bad team name!

And as we all gear up for a fun, exciting, heartbreaking and celebratory fall.

All I can say is go “NOLES”