Bullnose Forums

Wiring harness for 1985 F150 EFI 5.0 with MAP sensor

sgauvry

I don't think too much of the aftermarket harnesses, no matter who's it is. I would, in your case, repair my original harness. Some soldering and shrink tube will fix about anything.

That's been a thought. But my hands are increasingly more unsteady and my soldering is butt ugly and not very useful. I'd likely do more harm than good. :nabble_smiley_uh:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's been a thought. But my hands are increasingly more unsteady and my soldering is butt ugly and not very useful. I'd likely do more harm than good. :nabble_smiley_uh:

Soldering is a learned skill. I used to teach it. You can learn to do it. Just a few basic rules to follow and it becomes easy. So why not take an hour and practice? I promise you can learn it and then make your repairs.

Thanks, Gary. As far as plans go, there's a tremendous amount for me to do. But, the focus now is on replacing the harness.

I found this. It looks identical to my present harness except mine is equipped for the MAP sensor, whereas this one is equipped for a MAF sensor. Painless Performance Fuel Injection Harnesses 60511: https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/prf-60511

Do you think I could make this work?

On that Painless harness, in a word...No!

If you need an original style harness, I am 99.897% sure that nobody is making one and as Bill pointed out, 85/86 are a breed unto themselves.

Now, If you are interested, I have a good 85/86 harness up here in Saskatchewan. It comes from my Frankentruck, which is getting a retrofit that will enable me to use a later model harness.

I just shipped a harness and other parts to Gary and the cost was not at all unreasonable.

If you are looking for a repair suggestion on your harness, there is an orange wire that connects to a manifold bolt at the back of your LH cylinder head, right by where the EFI harness comes out of the firewall. This is your primary EFI ground for these years and the engine may run with it disconnected, (which commonly happens with engine work), but it's going to be pretty unpredictable.

If you need an original style harness, I am 99.897% sure that nobody is making one and as Bill pointed out, 85/86 are a breed unto themselves.

Now, If you are interested, I have a good 85/86 harness up here in Saskatchewan. It comes from my Frankentruck, which is getting a retrofit that will enable me to use a later model harness.

I just shipped a harness and other parts to Gary and the cost was not at all unreasonable.

If you are looking for a repair suggestion on your harness, there is an orange wire that connects to a manifold bolt at the back of your LH cylinder head, right by where the EFI harness comes out of the firewall. This is your primary EFI ground for these years and the engine may run with it disconnected, (which commonly happens with engine work), but it's going to be pretty unpredictable.

Ray/NotEnoughTrucks is the real deal, so if you are interested in his harness don't be worried.

Further, when I get back over to Newport News, I believe I still have the extra stuff from Matt's 86 and if I do I will bring it back over here and get you some pictures of it and if neither is perfect I will be willing, considering what you want to do to restore one for you, I believe if I remember correctly there are either two or three harnesses that plug into each other.

What might you charge for your harness including shipping?

Soldering is a learned skill. I used to teach it. You can learn to do it. Just a few basic rules to follow and it becomes easy. So why not take an hour and practice? I promise you can learn it and then make your repairs.

...except my hands shake due to a health issue. Most things that I found easy to do, like use a Phillips head screwdriver, are extremely difficult anymore. Not making excuses. Just the way it is...

Further, when I get back over to Newport News, I believe I still have the extra stuff from Matt's 86 and if I do I will bring it back over here and get you some pictures of it and if neither is perfect I will be willing, considering what you want to do to restore one for you, I believe if I remember correctly there are either two or three harnesses that plug into each other.

Wow! That's quite an offer. I'd want to pay you for your expenses and trouble, of course.

Let me see what transpires with NotEnoughTrucks first.

Never expected to find this sort of willingness to help. Amazing!

Wow! That's quite an offer. I'd want to pay you for your expenses and trouble, of course.

Let me see what transpires with NotEnoughTrucks first.

Never expected to find this sort of willingness to help. Amazing!

I think I should have named this the Bullnose Brotherhood or somesuch. Well done guys!