Bullnose Forums

What would you pay for a junkyard shell?

Vic Roma

I’m on my way to a junkyard that has a Bronco that was scavenged for parts and has: no tailgate, no backseat, tattered front seats (and generally a trashed interior), no gearbox, no front axel (but can’t tell about front steering etc.), no wheels, no engine, rusty rear wheel arches, but seemingly all other sheet (doors, hood, roof) ok but with normal surface rust.

Out of curiosity, and basis a previous question I raised on this forum, I asked, and they said yes, to whether they would sell the anorexic heap.

Me: Ah, $700 you say? Would you accept $500? (I know, not the deal of the decade.)

He: If you’re putting it on a trailer, we can lift it on for you. If you want wheels, we’re in the ballpark but we can discuss later.

Not a good price no doubt, especially when some of you have picked up driving and non-driving-but-fixable trucks for around the same money, give or take.

What would you pay for a relic like I described?

I paid WAY too much for my Bullnose, so I'm certainly in no position to shame anybody else for what they would pay for one, but $500 would be a pretty good deal in my area for something that was usable or fixable...assuming that is what you want to do with it? Even IF it's a MAJOR project, you need something sturdy to start with imho.

I paid WAY too much for my Bullnose, so I'm certainly in no position to shame anybody else for what they would pay for one, but $500 would be a pretty good deal in my area for something that was usable or fixable...assuming that is what you want to do with it? Even IF it's a MAJOR project, you need something sturdy to start with imho.

Yes, fix it then use it.

But $500 for something that needs a new mechanical front end, and a reportedly crappy repro tailgate?

Agreed re you need something to start with, and that’s why I’m making the effort (to convince the wife I was going to fly out/drive back cross country for a truck part or two, and to actually do it!).

I don’t know the condition of the frame; with no wheels it’s on the ground so there may be rust or damage to the undercarriage but I've only seen a *few* photos of it. Still, it’s the recurring thought that others have paid the around same for so much more, that makes me think to pick more off it and leave the rest.

It’s a shame though, as these trucks will one day be gone and if I can save just one... hundred...

Sincerely,

Bronco Rescue Foundation

Yes, fix it then use it.

But $500 for something that needs a new mechanical front end, and a reportedly crappy repro tailgate?

Agreed re you need something to start with, and that’s why I’m making the effort (to convince the wife I was going to fly out/drive back cross country for a truck part or two, and to actually do it!).

I don’t know the condition of the frame; with no wheels it’s on the ground so there may be rust or damage to the undercarriage but I've only seen a *few* photos of it. Still, it’s the recurring thought that others have paid the around same for so much more, that makes me think to pick more off it and leave the rest. It’s a shame though, as these trucks will one day be gone and if I can save just one... hundred...

Sincerely,

Bronco Rescue Foundation

If you intend to fix and drive it, find out what the status of the title is. Most junkyards have to give everything a salvage title before parts can be removed. You can apply for a restored salvage title, but it requires a fairly expensive level III inspection before it can be registered. The inspection may not be honored in other states, and the overall value of your vehicle will always be less. I bought a frame/cab from a junkyard about 8 years ago and decided against moving forward with the project because the title legalities were not what I wanted on a “forever” truck. The inspection price, I believe, was $375 in AZ and may have gone up since then. I’m not trying to be discouraging, I am all in favor of saving Broncos, flaresides, crew cabs etc., but just find out from the seller and the local MVD what you are getting yourself into.

If you intend to fix and drive it, find out what the status of the title is. Most junkyards have to give everything a salvage title before parts can be removed. You can apply for a restored salvage title, but it requires a fairly expensive level III inspection before it can be registered. The inspection may not be honored in other states, and the overall value of your vehicle will always be less. I bought a frame/cab from a junkyard about 8 years ago and decided against moving forward with the project because the title legalities were not what I wanted on a “forever” truck. The inspection price, I believe, was $375 in AZ and may have gone up since then. I’m not trying to be discouraging, I am all in favor of saving Broncos, flaresides, crew cabs etc., but just find out from the seller and the local MVD what you are getting yourself into.

Funny....ive got an 87 bronco complete sitting here I was wondering what to do with it. Where are you located?

Ive got your tailgate, topper, seats, console, front and rear axles. Some POS wheels with decent tires.....

Im keeping the 302/C6 and tcase.

Contact me and if you are close enough. Ill make you a helluva deal.

Funny....ive got an 87 bronco complete sitting here I was wondering what to do with it. Where are you located?

Ive got your tailgate, topper, seats, console, front and rear axles. Some POS wheels with decent tires.....

Ford F834, thanks! Not discouraging at all; useful info which I need to know before I make a(nother) blunder.

Ray, pm-ing...

Ford F834, thanks! Not discouraging at all; useful info which I need to know before I make a(nother) blunder.

Ray, pm-ing...

Ray, pm-ing...

Ray, tried and failed to contact you. babble sent me an “Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender” email. Are you able to pm me?

Ray, pm-ing...

Ford F834, you were right. DMV said if salvage title, it’s very difficult to register. So much for saving/rebuilding this truck though. Might still buy it for parts.

Ray, sorry, can’t use your parts truck anymore.