Bullnose Forums

dash lights

I have been planning on replacing all the dash lights in my 83 f150. Some of the bulbs were burnt out so I took the good bulbs that were working and placed them into the sockets that weren't working to see if they would burn and they did not work. Does that mean that the green printed circuit were the bulbs did not work needs to be replaced? I hope someone can make sense out of what I am trying to say. Any help Thanks

You need to make sure there isnt any corrosion on the copper of the printed board, or on the contacts of the bulb socket. The bulbs themselves could have corrosion on the leads coming through the glass from the filament. Take a multimeter, turn lights on, and trying measuring for voltage across the contacts of the pcb (printed circuit board)at each bulb terminal.

Try visually inspecting the printed board.

Completly remove the gauage cluster. Can someone remind me how to remove the speedo cable? I think that is the most dufficult part of removing the cluster if I remember correctly. After you remove it, you will be able to inspect the circuit board for broken circuits much easier.

You need to make sure there isnt any corrosion on the copper of the printed board, or on the contacts of the bulb socket. The bulbs themselves could have corrosion on the leads coming through the glass from the filament. Take a multimeter, turn lights on, and trying measuring for voltage across the contacts of the pcb (printed circuit board)at each bulb terminal.

Completly remove the gauage cluster. Can someone remind me how to remove the speedo cable? I think that is the most dufficult part of removing the cluster if I remember correctly. After you remove it, you will be able to inspect the circuit board for broken circuits much easier.

Reach behind the speedo and feel the plastic clip at the top of the cable. Press to one side and the cable will release. It only goes one way.

If you have an electrical tester, you can do a continuity test between the bulb contacts on the film, plus look for any physical damage to the copper ribbons. Just as a side note, you said you have GREEN printed circuit film on a 1983 truck. The green film was for 1980 model year only. I’m guessing your film or whole cluster came from a 1980 truck. 1981-1986 had a reddish orange circuit film. This means your indicator lights across the top of the cluster won’t be right. 1980 had them in a different order. You may want to replace the film, or you will need to re-pin the connector. However, you should also make sure the previous owner didn’t put in a 1980 bezel along with the cluster. I just wanted to bring this up before you spent a lot of time trying to fix the illumination problem.

You need to make sure there isnt any corrosion on the copper of the printed board, or on the contacts of the bulb socket. The bulbs themselves could have corrosion on the leads coming through the glass from the filament. Take a multimeter, turn lights on, and trying measuring for voltage across the contacts of the pcb (printed circuit board)at each bulb terminal.Try visually inspecting the printed board.Completly remove the gauage cluster. Can someone remind me how to remove the speedo cable? I think that is the most dufficult part of removing the cluster if I remember correctly. After you remove it, you will be able to inspect the circuit board for broken circuits much easier.

ROOSTER

Thanks Ray all of the dash lights are working just very dim. Would new lights possibly be brighter and who do you suggest to purchase from. Thanks Rooster

On Tuesday, October 29, 2019, 05:49:30 AM EDT, Ray Cecil [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

You need to make sure there isnt any corrosion on the copper of the printed board. Take a multimeter, turn lights on, and trying measuring for voltage across the contacts at each bulb.

Completly remove the gauage cluster. Can someone remind me how to remove the speedo cable? I think that is the most dufficult part of removing the cluster if I remember correctly. After you remove it, you will be able to inspect the circuit board for broken circuits much easier. Ray Cecil

1982 Flareside 300 Six, Hedman Dual Header, NP208, SROD 4 Speed, 1 Wire HEI

1969 Impala Custom Coupe, 86,000 miles, 327, Powerglide (FOR SALE/TRADE)

1999 Silverado, 349,000 miles, 5.3 Automatic Z71 4WD

2008 Tahoe 2WD 5.3 with Cylinder Deactivation mode (wife's)

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/dash-lights-tp42324p42328.html

To unsubscribe from dash lights, click here.

NAML

Ray Cecil well all of the dash lights work but are very dim. Do you think if I replaced the dash lights that they would be brighter. If so who would you suggest buying from? I hope you get this and get back Thanks Rooster

Ray Cecil well all of the dash lights work but are very dim. Do you think if I replaced the dash lights that they would be brighter. If so who would you suggest buying from? I hope you get this and get back Thanks Rooster

Please browse to the website and post replies here. When you reply by email it clutters up the thread.

Bulbs dont need to be replaced if they are dim.

You might want to start checking yout grounds for good contact. Very often, electrical issues are caused by poor grounding. That would explain low voltage to the dash lights. Make sure the light knob is twisted all the way to bright. You can adjust the dash light brightness that way.

Please browse to the website and post replies here. When you reply by email it clutters up the thread.

Bulbs dont need to be replaced if they are dim.

You might want to start checking yout grounds for good contact. Very often, electrical issues are caused by poor grounding. That would explain low voltage to the dash lights. Make sure the light knob is twisted all the way to bright. You can adjust the dash light brightness that way.

So there would be a separate ground for the dash lights. Any idea where it would be? Thanks