Bullnose Forums

4500 RPM tach [states for Diesel, but is for gas] - used

Wow that diesel one sold for $110 bucks. Nice.

I still have a 4500 RPM gas tach I pulled out of a 1985 F800. Curious what they sell for...not nearly as much as the more obscure diesel tachs I suppose. I may install it in my truck sometime just to get a better reading on the RPM's I use...which is usually only the lower half of the 6000 RPM tach I have now.

I still have a 4500 RPM gas tach I pulled out of a 1985 F800. Curious what they sell for...not nearly as much as the more obscure diesel tachs I suppose. I may install it in my truck sometime just to get a better reading on the RPM's I use...which is usually only the lower half of the 6000 RPM tach I have now.

Cory, I have one in my truck. The six cylinder does not rev high and barely moved the original 6K tachometer.

The 4,000 and 4,500 rpm GAS tachometers are actually far less common than the diesel ones. They do occasionally sell for a high price, but the market is smaller. Few people realize the value for using them on a 6 cyl with the “8” lug isolated. I love the 4,500 in mine and I paid quite bit for it. I would still prefer the 4,000 tach but the junkyard one I found for David and the one I bought off a guy on Facebook started sticking. I think I can fix them with the movement from a non integral circuit 6,000 rpm unit, but they are packed away at the moment.

The 4,000 and 4,500 rpm GAS tachometers are actually far less common than the diesel ones. They do occasionally sell for a high price, but the market is smaller. Few people realize the value for using them on a 6 cyl with the “8” lug isolated. I love the 4,500 in mine and I paid quite bit for it. I would still prefer the 4,000 tach but the junkyard one I found for David and the one I bought off a guy on Facebook started sticking. I think I can fix them with the movement from a non integral circuit 6,000 rpm unit, but they are packed away at the moment.

Look at post #3 of this old thread. At that time, my truck had the 4K tach which Jonathan found and provided. When it began sticking and reading high, it was replaced with a NOS 4500 RPM tach.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1400393-2015-fall-gtg-oklahoma-chapter.html

When it began sticking and reading high, it was replaced with a NOS 4500 RPM tach.

You guys have me thinking about trying my 4500 RPM tach for a while. It came out of a 1985 F800 Fire Truck that had only about 28,000 original miles on it, so it didn't see much action over the years.

I believe I asked this before, but the 4500 RPM tach is a direct swap into my existing factory cluster right? It would be going from a V8 to a V8. I believe that F800 had a 429 engine in it...does that sound correct for an '85?

I'd like to try it for a while and see if I like it better than the 6000 RPM tach. I don't think I've had the engine above 3500 RPM since I put it in there, and I spend the majority of my time between 1500-2500 RPM.

When it began sticking and reading high, it was replaced with a NOS 4500 RPM tach.

You guys have me thinking about trying my 4500 RPM tach for a while. It came out of a 1985 F800 Fire Truck that had only about 28,000 original miles on it, so it didn't see much action over the years.

I believe I asked this before, but the 4500 RPM tach is a direct swap into my existing factory cluster right? It would be going from a V8 to a V8. I believe that F800 had a 429 engine in it...does that sound correct for an '85?

I'd like to try it for a while and see if I like it better than the 6000 RPM tach. I don't think I've had the engine above 3500 RPM since I put it in there, and I spend the majority of my time between 1500-2500 RPM.

Go for it, Cory! It will be a direct swap and you will be amazed at how quickly the needle seems to jump since it will sweep more for the same engine speed.