Bullnose Forums

NOS radio nameplate XLS... expensive

Pretty - in several ways. Pretty to look at, and a pretty penny! But, it would look good on that radio bezel. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Gary, how big of a deal would it be to 3D scan this for 3D printing? Do you have a place that could do it and generate a shape file? If so could I send you one plus funds to cover the scanning charge?

Gary, how big of a deal would it be to 3D scan this for 3D printing? Do you have a place that could do it and generate a shape file? If so could I send you one plus funds to cover the scanning charge?

As said about the fog lamp bezel, I haven't read good things about scanning things to then 3D print. Where I went to learn about this they have a series of little figurines that have been printed, scanned, printed from the scan, scanned, printed from the scan, ...... And each successive generation is noticeably degraded.

I think we'll be better off taking accurate measurements and drawing it up in 3D. But, even then the printed part will need some cleaning up - assuming the resolution of 3D printing hasn't been improved significantly in the last 3 years or so. Apparently the printed part has a texture that needs to be smoothed, and especially the parts that will be shiny.

As for the measurements, I'll need the normal ones like overall length, height, width. But also the radius of the rounded corners, the crossing points for the straight lines, etc. However, it shouldn't be too hard.