Bullnose Forums

Just checking in - new project started - EFI on '82

I haven't posted in a while - as I haven't been doing anything with my rig - until now.

But the weather is cool now (in FL) and I'm starting my next mod project.

So this week I'm installing a MSD Atomic EFI system. I 'm going with the MSD because it also ties into my MSD distributor and 6AL to "control timing". So I'm moving the old girl up to a modern fueling system.

This is a pretty easy project (according the instructions), just remove carb and install TBI in its place, run new fuel lines, and hook up a couple of wires.

Well, there's always a little more to it.

• I had to pull left header off and weld an O2 bung to it (getting headers on/off is always a pain).

• The Atomic TBI doesnt have a C6 kickdown linage, so I had to get the Lokar C6 transmission kick-down setup. With that installed my factory throttle cable/bracket had to be ditched but I was able to modify the Lokar bracket to work for throttle cable.

• My original metal oil pan dipstick tube needed to be replaced. I bought a Ford OEM dipstick tube (for 460 pan with push-in tube) but couldn't get the fit right due to header pipes, and gently bending it caused the stick to not want to go in. So I ended up getting the Lokar flexible dipstick tube (coming today).

• Replaced the plugs and wires - now need to pull distributor and lock out the mechanical advance.

• Replacing my Flowmaster muffler (had a Hooker SuperComp muffler sitting in my garage for two years now, waiting to be installed (still have to figure out how to hang it)

So I'm back with a new project. Seems like every 5 years or so I spend $1,000 on the truck. But that's still cheaper than buying a new truck.

- Mike

Make sure you learn how to repair your truck yourself, because no one is going to want to work on a vehicle with an aftermarket EFI system.

Where do you get replacement parts for it?

Plenty of people will work on a truck with aftermarket EFI. You can get parts for MSD Atomic EFI from MSD through any of the online vendors like Summit and Jegs.

You can get parts for MSD Atomic EFI from MSD through any of the online vendors like Summit and Jegs.

Of course. But what happens when you are on the road someplace and you need a replacement part? That is usually when this sort of thing happens.

Rick, I see what you mean. Yeah, I think aftermarket EFI is just as reliable if not more reliable than carbs. Its on par with factory efi these days. A lot of people run MSD, Holley and Fitech EFI systems now.

Welcome back, Mike! That's a cool project. Do you have a baseline for MPG, if not acceleration, to compare with the results you get with the EFI?

I don't have a good way to baseline now - other than I know I get 6.5 mpg now. I usually just measure the length of the burn out marks to gauge performance.

If you look at my build specs in my signature line you can see this engine is far from stock. I'm not worried about finding parts or finding someone to work on it (ps. no one has touched or worked on this truck, except me, since it went out of warranty in '85 :))

The main problem I've been dealing with over the years is getting a good tune on the carb. I'm usually too rich at idle or too lean at cruise, and there are other drive-ability and rough idle issues. I've spent too much time jetting, changing air bleeds, setting mixture screws, and taking the carbs apart - so I wanted to try something else.

These aftermarket EFI systems do what they call "self tuning". They use the O2 sensor, MAP sensor, TPS, and coolant sensor to adjust the AF ratio. You just program in some base line settings (idle speed desired, what AF you want at idle, cruise, WOT, your timing advance curve, some engine info (size, cam duration, etc.) and the fuel mapping adjusts.

I should have all my last parts in by this weekend so I'll have her running then, and take a couple of photos.

I don't have a good way to baseline now - other than I know I get 6.5 mpg now. I usually just measure the length of the burn out marks to gauge performance.

If you look at my build specs in my signature line you can see this engine is far from stock. I'm not worried about finding parts or finding someone to work on it (ps. no one has touched or worked on this truck, except me, since it went out of warranty in '85 :))

The main problem I've been dealing with over the years is getting a good tune on the carb. I'm usually too rich at idle or too lean at cruise, and there are other drive-ability and rough idle issues. I've spent too much time jetting, changing air bleeds, setting mixture screws, and taking the carbs apart - so I wanted to try something else.

These aftermarket EFI systems do what they call "self tuning". They use the O2 sensor, MAP sensor, TPS, and coolant sensor to adjust the AF ratio. You just program in some base line settings (idle speed desired, what AF you want at idle, cruise, WOT, your timing advance curve, some engine info (size, cam duration, etc.) and the fuel mapping adjusts.

I should have all my last parts in by this weekend so I'll have her running then, and take a couple of photos.

Well, I guess 6.5 MPG is part of a baseline. And how long are the burnout marks? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yes, the new EFI systems appear to do a very good job of self tuning. So I think this should solve your driveability problems. Hope you'll take lots of pics along the way. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes, the new EFI systems appear to do a very good job of self tuning. So I think this should solve your driveability problems. Hope you'll take lots of pics along the way. :nabble_smiley_good:

I've spent quite a bit of time with EFI self-tuners on motorcycles, and they are outstanding in how well they tune.

I understand where Rick is coming from...you're probably on your own with it, but at least you can see what it's doing. In my area, I don't think it would be very easy to find somebody to work on anything pre-OBDII.

I've been lusting after one of these EFI systems, but they aren't cheap. I do like the Atomic kit though as it tied into the distributor and even has a fake vacuum advance function.:nabble_smiley_happy:

I'm subscribing to see how this goes. Welcome aboard new guy!