Bullnose Forums

Steering column disassembly

kramttocs

Anyone know the purpose of these white plastic things on the shift shaft?

First thought was as a slide against the outer sleeve but the inner shaft should be suspended away from it. Second was that they kept the two piece shaft together but seems like an odd material for that .

Nevermind. Looks like they are some kind of retaining setup.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need that plastic collar at the bottom - if anyone has one

IMG_20191025_141412.jpg.ec1ef991e9d4208ab4b5e38b5318fea0.jpg

At the jy right now pulling an auto/tilt column to get the shift tube (played around a little too hard with those white plastic pieces :nabble_smiley_wink:).

I'll grab a couple of the lower bearing retainers and can ship you one if needed.

This is the plastic piece I'm looking for. Mine melted. If it is available NOS please let me know the part number. I don't mind paying. Thanks

I don't know the part number, but I bought a new one from a local Ford dealer only a year or so ago. It was less than 10 bucks if I recall correctly.

It's the bearing inside it that is hard to find. I ended up buying one from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard because I couldn't find it anywhere else. It's a weird little bearing with an O-ring in it.

column_lower_bearing_housing.jpeg.3a790200e91a8165bfcbb0e0650b2897.jpeg

This is the plastic piece I'm looking for. Mine melted. If it is available NOS please let me know the part number. I don't mind paying. Thanks

I don't know the part number, but I bought a new one from a local Ford dealer only a year or so ago. It was less than 10 bucks if I recall correctly.

It's the bearing inside it that is hard to find. I ended up buying one from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard because I couldn't find it anywhere else. It's a weird little bearing with an O-ring in it.

This should be it...somebody else can confirm.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-main-shaft-upper-retainer-eotz3d681a