Bullnose Forums

Steering column disassembly

kramttocs

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you peel the rubber seal from the bottom firewall plate? I played around with one of the spares in my shop and it looked like it would tear but I didn't use any heat.

Yes, peeled it completely off. If I recall correctly, mine was already at least 50% loose, and I just peeled off the last of it, but it did come off complete. I scraped all of the old paint and crap off the back of it, and when I had the plate all painted again, I put the rubber back on. I can't remember exactly how I adhered it back to the plate...maybe with some 3M spray adhesive, but I do remember using some black RTV around the center part. Clamp it together with some clothespins or something similar and let it sit.

I have some finished pics, but no pics in progress unfortunately other than when it was sand blasted.

image10.jpeg.3cdf126d66135478dc3d567531f26847.jpeg

Haha it crossed my mind. This one would be a little more involved since it's formed - think the demand would be there?

I'd buy two. Right now.

So that didn't turn out near as bad as I thought.

Three Allen screws up from the bottom of the shift column removed the tilt assembly and shaft from the sleeve.

Then drilling out the rivet separated the shift collar, shift sleeve, and main tube.

To remove the firewall plate gasket it took a lot of slow peeling and a razor blade to avoid tearing it.

So that didn't turn out near as bad as I thought.

Three Allen screws up from the bottom of the shift column removed the tilt assembly and shaft from the sleeve.

Then drilling out the rivet separated the shift collar, shift sleeve, and main tube.

To remove the firewall plate gasket it took a lot of slow peeling and a razor blade to avoid tearing it.

Did you get a pic of the rivet? And what are you going back with to replace it?

Did you peel the rubber seal from the bottom firewall plate? I played around with one of the spares in my shop and it looked like it would tear but I didn't use any heat.

Yes, peeled it completely off. If I recall correctly, mine was already at least 50% loose, and I just peeled off the last of it, but it did come off complete. I scraped all of the old paint and crap off the back of it, and when I had the plate all painted again, I put the rubber back on. I can't remember exactly how I adhered it back to the plate...maybe with some 3M spray adhesive, but I do remember using some black RTV around the center part. Clamp it together with some clothespins or something similar and let it sit.

I have some finished pics, but no pics in progress unfortunately other than when it was sand blasted.

Anyone know the purpose of these white plastic things on the shift shaft?

First thought was as a slide against the outer sleeve but the inner shaft should be suspended away from it. Second was that they kept the two piece shaft together but seems like an odd material for that .

IMG_20191024_154841.jpg.adc760f6e16b5294a537c5bbf4861acd.jpg

IMG_20191024_154829.jpg.49d2052b43800d4226ccc3138ba7dbf7.jpg

IMG_20191024_154853.thumb.jpg.83d0189a70f4cc0d76e80351e451eeeb.jpg