Bullnose Forums

Steering column disassembly

kramttocs

Anyone have a guide on the full disassembly of a tilt auto column?

Really just wanting to get the bottom gasket (firewall attachment) off but it can't be removed with the shift arm at the bottom still there. Have the top down to the tilt/shift collar - so the tumbler collar and turn cam is all removed.

IMG_20191022_124244.jpg.a5fc1e6389a899dc5f72460e9f52243d.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im subbing to this thread.

Ive not taken one apart yet, but I do have one in the 87 bronco....if you need parts I may be parting it out soon.

Thanks Ray. Mine is fully functional, just wanting to get it painted/coated :)

I figure the tilt mechanism will need removed and the outer shift sleeve released to slide out the bottom but a little daunting to tear into the tilt part without knowing the right order.

Thanks Ray. Mine is fully functional, just wanting to get it painted/coated :)

I figure the tilt mechanism will need removed and the outer shift sleeve released to slide out the bottom but a little daunting to tear into the tilt part without knowing the right order.

Would the section from the factory shop manual help? I can put it on the site this evening if so.

Really just wanting to get the bottom gasket (firewall attachment) off but it can't be removed with the shift arm at the bottom still there. Have the top down to the tilt/shift collar - so the tumbler collar and turn cam is all removed.

I should have pics of this. I disassembled my 3-on-the-tree column down to every last piece, and removed that firewall part with the rubber seal to sand blast and paint it. I also had to weld new tabs on where it connects to the steel column in the cab.

As far as I know, the three on the tree column and the auto column would be almost identical at the bottom end where the lever(s) are.

Let me dig out some pics...hang on

I should have pics of this. I disassembled my 3-on-the-tree column down to every last piece, and removed that firewall part with the rubber seal to sand blast and paint it. I also had to weld new tabs on where it connects to the steel column in the cab.

As far as I know, the three on the tree column and the auto column would be almost identical at the bottom end where the lever(s) are.

Let me dig out some pics...hang on

Ok, so I'm not much help. I went looking for pics and I don't have any that are of any use in this discussion, sorry. I did pull the part though and blasted it and repaired it, etc.

columnflange.jpeg.2b51bfee769880215b874d71c5c137c2.jpeg

If I recall correctly....and this was on a NON-tilt column mind you...but I had to remove the shift collar on the inside, and the bushing and spring washer under it, and then from the bottom end remove the black plastic housing, and the whole shift tube will slide right out.

column_lower_bearing_housing.jpeg.73e9745feca28845a04f027692aab27d.jpeg

columnjunk.jpeg.e22c0746b2e33d6406d6f3e9cfb9513a.jpeg

image3.jpeg.f2224c27731f60e89789aad005171f94.jpeg

image5.jpeg.2c8694daffbc10b15822c0124cf4780e.jpeg

Ok, so I'm not much help. I went looking for pics and I don't have any that are of any use in this discussion, sorry. I did pull the part though and blasted it and repaired it, etc.

If I recall correctly....and this was on a NON-tilt column mind you...but I had to remove the shift collar on the inside, and the bushing and spring washer under it, and then from the bottom end remove the black plastic housing, and the whole shift tube will slide right out.

Did you peel the rubber seal from the bottom firewall plate? I played around with one of the spares in my shop and it looked like it would tear but I didn't use any heat.