Bullnose Forum

Cooling system.

Looking for some advice. I have an 84 F250 4x4 with a manual 4 speed and a 460 and I'm swapping out the motor. Its actually my sons truck and were working on it together. Im also deleting the smog equipment. There are a lot of vacuum switches and fittings that i don’t think i need. Would like to put a new water neck on it without the vacuum switches. Is this doable? Also theres a vacuum fitting at the back of the motor that i call a vacuum tree. It has 5 hose nubs coming off it. What can i replace it with that only has 3 nubs? I cant even find a replacement on line. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

It's cheaper, easier, & at least as-effective to simply abandon the unneeded vacuum fittings. For the vacuum tree, just cap the unneeded nipples. The most-durable cap is a short piece of appropriately-sized silicone vacuum tubing (thick-walled) plugged with silicone sealer longer than 3x the inside diameter.

Do you still have the vacuum routing diagram on the radiator support?

If by "emissions" you mean to include the charcoal canisters, EGR and the DSII distributor then there's no need for the TVS's on the water neck.

But raw gasoline fumes are miserable for you and the environment, though you might notice much if the truck isn't garaged.

If you get rid of the EGR, be sure to have a look at Scott's distributor recurve instructions I linked in Cory's thread.

Your going to need to limit advance under cruise to eliminate pinging.

Be sure to get a water neck that is beveled on the left hand side.

The DuraSpark distributor is too large in diameter to fit a 'universal' thermostat housing.

(I think Transdapt makes one that works) I know I posted the p/n over at FTE.

You don't even need to cap the unused ports of the tree, you can just fill them with silicone (similar to Steve's suggestion above)

Adding to what the others said, the vacuum trees are shown on a new page, just for you: Documentation/Underhood/Vacuum Systems/Vacuum Fittings. Looks like there are 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6-way fittings. So you might find one for the specific engine with the # of fittings you want.

Seems they pretty much all have the same thread size, but what isn't always said are the size of the hose barbs. So you could go to the salvage and look as well.

Adding to what the others said, the vacuum trees are shown on a new page, just for you: Documentation/Underhood/Vacuum Systems/Vacuum Fittings. Looks like there are 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6-way fittings. So you might find one for the specific engine with the # of fittings you want.

Seems they pretty much all have the same thread size, but what isn't always said are the size of the hose barbs. So you could go to the salvage and look as well.

Thanks Gary!

You are the King of Bullnose minutiae.

Do you still have the vacuum routing diagram on the radiator support?If by "emissions" you mean to include the charcoal canisters, EGR and the DSII distributor then there's no need for the TVS's on the water neck.But raw gasoline fumes are miserable for you and the environment, though you might notice much if the truck isn't garaged.If you get rid of the EGR, be sure to have a look at Scott's distributor recurve instructions I linked in Cory's thread.Your going to need to limit advance under cruise to eliminate pinging.Be sure to get a water neck that is beveled on the left hand side.The DuraSpark distributor is too large in diameter to fit a 'universal' thermostat housing.(I think Transdapt makes one that works) I know I posted the p/n over at FTE.You don't even need to cap the unused ports of the tree, you can just fill them with silicone (similar to Steve's suggestion above)
Thank you. No diagram. The truck appears to be put together from many different donors. Hard telling whats original and whats from area 51. Problem is, i cant get the fittings out of the old motor. I guess ill have to try heat but they’re brass so im afraid that wont go well. Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone

Adding to what the others said, the vacuum trees are shown on a new page, just for you: Documentation/Underhood/Vacuum Systems/Vacuum Fittings. Looks like there are 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6-way fittings. So you might find one for the specific engine with the # of fittings you want.Seems they pretty much all have the same thread size, but what isn't always said are the size of the hose barbs. So you could go to the salvage and look as well.
Thanks Gary. I think ill try to salvage the ones on the old motor. Already paid for so why not right? After i get those in ill be working on the distributor so ill be ordering a crane vacuum advance kit. Thanks again. 

Sent from my iPhone