Bullnose Forums

Exterior Moulding

Vic Roma

With all this recent chatter about moulding, instigated by that centerfold pin-up model “Lucille,” what are your thoughts on all forms of exterior embellishments, be they:

- stripes that highlight the “flat” side of the truck (the section of truck that from front to back, is above rockers, and below door window and truck bed),

- trim at wheel opening,

- above wheel arches (2”) and running along the length of the truck above rocker panels by about 4”, with or without black vinyl in the bright metal channel,

- trim at top edge of truck, also front to back of truck side, but just above or below the dent-side detail, below door window edge, truck bed, etc.

- or, none at all.

Thanks for the plug! :nabble_smiley_good:

I like to see the exterior molding. It adds some protection to the truck, and it makes it look a bit more thought out and creative. No trim looks like a cheaper work truck to me. So many people leave off all trim and stripes when they re-paint, and to me it never looks finished when they do that. One thing I have noticed: when I go to car shows, most people - including judges - initially think my truck is a completely original un-restored truck that was carefully stored and babied it's whole life. I think that is because I added *all* the [NOS] trim back when I restored it, inside and out. I always get massive respect and points for that.

My personal favorite exterior molding is the the upper trim molding I have on Lucille, but some don't care for it. I think it looks better on a solid color truck, though.

Interesting questions. Here are my opinions, with pics to support them. But, I'm not at all saying my opinions are correct. In fact, you'll see that I like the trim on one of my trucks better than that on the other - but I still like the other truck.

Upper trim: I like the trim that's on both of my trucks, as shown below. It is narrow and not obtrusive. But, it is no longer available, so I can't recommend it.

Lower trim: None. I like the lack of trim on Dad's truck, on the left. It looks "clean" to me where the lower trim on Big Blue looks busy to me.

Wheel well trim: I like it right on the wheel well, like on Dad's truck. I call the trim 2" over the wheel wells on Big Blue "high water" trim as it looks like it was hiked up to keep it dry.

Before_Pic.thumb.jpg.cbbce665ef56442ab9fd51167f3fc972.jpgAfter_Wash_and_Wax_Front_Quarter_-_Smaller.thumb.jpg.96e4d8ae492530e1ba246b1445ad33ee.jpg

...what are your thoughts on all forms of exterior embellishments...
Entirely the owner's discretion; there's no accounting for taste.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/72675/thumbnail/diamondbarflf.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/637342/thumbnail/86nug.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/72709/thumbnail/motorhome.jpg

How many times will he attempt it? The silly barstool just can’t get it right:

396C320A-058E-4558-9A79-153BAF7944F5.jpeg.6844785ae7b2c8a5049ccbb8130b9c69.jpeg

9F02DCB0-E52A-467F-87F5-F97CA776E8D9.jpeg.8f9e594d3c25a18d7ce07c598891c639.jpeg

19645E76-D7B6-4908-974E-4AC6C6B56B6D.png.e9eaf52e8f8da72bfca75acdcd548371.png

Interesting questions. Here are my opinions, with pics to support them. But, I'm not at all saying my opinions are correct. In fact, you'll see that I like the trim on one of my trucks better than that on the other - but I still like the other truck.

Upper trim: I like the trim that's on both of my trucks, as shown below. It is narrow and not obtrusive. But, it is no longer available, so I can't recommend it.

Lower trim: None. I like the lack of trim on Dad's truck, on the left. It looks "clean" to me where the lower trim on Big Blue looks busy to me.

Wheel well trim: I like it right on the wheel well, like on Dad's truck. I call the trim 2" over the wheel wells on Big Blue "high water" trim as it looks like it was hiked up to keep it dry.

Is the upper trim on Dad’s Truck the same as on Big Blue? Do you have close-up shots of both?