Bullnose Forums

1985 F250, 4x4, 460 - 2nd Owner!

Dean_L

Is your upper body mouldings original? I need.to replace mine but I understand it's rare because it was only on early model 85s

Like Gary said, my truck originally came with those moldings, but I replaced them with NOS pieces when I had my truck repainted a couple of years ago.

No one reproduces this style, so they will be very hard to locate. They were only used for the early 1985 model year, and Ford quickly dropped them. It took me years to find and put together a complete set of these moldings. Here is a thread a made about it on another site:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1466244-mysterious-1985-bodyside-protection-molding.html

Thanks. I emailed NOS today, I hope they have them! Since I owned this

truck I always wondered why no other mid 80s fords had them. Now I know...

You emailed "NOS"? There's a company called NOS? That stands for New Old Stock, meaning new parts that have been in someone's stock forever, but I didn't know there's a company called that.

If they don't, the guys on here sometimes turn up individual sections of it, but not a whole kit. So you'd be faced with piecing it together and hoping you'll finally find all the pieces. It isn't going to be easy - I think Rick said he spent years getting all of the pieces. You may never get a full set and yet have a chunk of money tied up in what pieces you find. Plus, if you were to get a whole set pieced together you wouldn't be able to replace a section if there was an accident.

I fought that fight to get trim for Dad's truck, although it is different than yours. I got what is the last usable piece of 8' trim for the bed, and it was twisted. My paint/body man said he thinks he can straighten it, but it'll never be "right". Then I acquired Big Blue and he came with a perfect NOS piece of that trim so it'll go on Dad's truck when the time comes. But replacing it probably will never happen.

I say all of that to say you should think about what trim you want to put on your truck. It is a long term effort to collect all the pieces needed, and you never know if you are going to get all of them. And if Rick is right, you won't. :nabble_smiley_scared:

Thanks. I emailed NOS today, I hope they have them! Since I owned thistruck I always wondered why no other mid 80s fords had them. Now I know...
You emailed "NOS"? There's a company called NOS? That stands for New Old Stock, meaning new parts that have been in someone's stock forever, but I didn't know there's a company called that.If they don't, the guys on here sometimes turn up individual sections of it, but not a whole kit. So you'd be faced with piecing it together and hoping you'll finally find all the pieces. It isn't going to be easy - I think Rick said he spent years getting all of the pieces. You may never get a full set and yet have a chunk of money tied up in what pieces you find. Plus, if you were to get a whole set pieced together you wouldn't be able to replace a section if there was an accident.I fought that fight to get trim for Dad's truck, although it is different than yours. I got what is the last usable piece of 8' trim for the bed, and it was twisted. My paint/body man said he thinks he can straighten it, but it'll never be "right". Then I acquired Big Blue and he came with a perfect NOS piece of that trim so it'll go on Dad's truck when the time comes. But replacing it probably will never happen.I say all of that to say you should think about what trim you want to put on your truck. It is a long term effort to collect all the pieces needed, and you never know if you are going to get all of them. And if Rick is right, you won't. :nabble_smiley_scared:
NOS LTD, in Texas.  Ive also contacted Green Sales and am waiting to hear back from them.  Its going to be a hunt for sure!!!

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 7:01 AM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

Rick and Gary,

Can you confirm if these are the correct part numbers?  I think I have found 2 of them so far...

E5TZ 16003-A  (RH)

E5TZ 16003-B  (LH)

E5TZ 1520938-A (RH)  (they list a -B for "with swing lock mirror", can you tell which I have from photo)

E5TZ 1520939-A (LH)    (they list a -B for "with swing lock mirror", can you tell which I have from photo) 

E5TZ 1529314-A (RH)

E5TZ 1529315-A  (LH) 

E5TZ 9929038-B (RH)

E5TZ 9929039-B (LH)  

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 10:19 AM Dean_L [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

Dean - Several things. First, you are asking questions about your truck in Rick's thread. I'd like to move it to your 1985 F250, 4x4, 460 - 2nd Owner! thread, if that's ok with you.

Second, you are responding via email so it brings in lots of extra stuff, so I'll have to strip that out when I quote it. Not sure if you are aware of the difference between posting in the forum vs responding via email.

Anyway, here's your post w/the extraneous stuff stripped out:

Rick and Gary,

Can you confirm if these are the correct part numbers? I think I have

found 2 of them so far...

E5TZ 16003-A (RH)

E5TZ 16003-B (LH)

E5TZ 1520938-A (RH) (they list a -B for "with swing lock mirror", can you

tell which I have from photo)

E5TZ 1520939-A (LH) (they list a -B for "with swing lock mirror", can

you tell which I have from photo)

E5TZ 1529314-A (RH)

E5TZ 1529315-A (LH)

E5TZ 9929038-B (RH)

E5TZ 9929039-B (LH)

And here's the info from the master parts catalog. Looks to me like you have it right, assuming you have an 8' bed.

1985-86-regular-cab-press-mouldings_orig.thumb.jpg.1d6f71cb84a4167c75d58207f4404f60.jpg

As for your question about the mirrors, your picture in the first post of the thread is so small I can't tell. And when I try to blow that pic up it is so blurry I still can't tell. Do you have a better pic?

Dean - Several things. First, you are asking questions about your truck in Rick's thread. I'd like to move it to your 1985 F250, 4x4, 460 - 2nd Owner! thread, if that's ok with you.

Second, you are responding via email so it brings in lots of extra stuff, so I'll have to strip that out when I quote it. Not sure if you are aware of the difference between posting in the forum vs responding via email.

Anyway, here's your post w/the extraneous stuff stripped out:

Rick and Gary,

Can you confirm if these are the correct part numbers? I think I have

found 2 of them so far...

E5TZ 16003-A (RH)

E5TZ 16003-B (LH)

E5TZ 1520938-A (RH) (they list a -B for "with swing lock mirror", can you

tell which I have from photo)

E5TZ 1520939-A (LH) (they list a -B for "with swing lock mirror", can

you tell which I have from photo)

E5TZ 1529314-A (RH)

E5TZ 1529315-A (LH)

E5TZ 9929038-B (RH)

E5TZ 9929039-B (LH)

And here's the info from the master parts catalog. Looks to me like you have it right, assuming you have an 8' bed.

As for your question about the mirrors, your picture in the first post of the thread is so small I can't tell. And when I try to blow that pic up it is so blurry I still can't tell. Do you have a better pic?

Get photos before you rush in and buy only to find you may have the wrong piece(s).

The hornets' nest sure is buzzing with this topic, on FTE and here.

Dean - Welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

As for where we've been, we are only just over two years old. And we are now just over 500 users.

So, where's home? We have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd love to add you if you'd give me the city where you live.

And '85 F250 w/a 460 sounds familiar. :nabble_anim_confused: Where'd I hear about one of those? Oh yes! I was just working on one!!!!

Gary,

Here is a pic of the mirror.

Sorry for hijacking Ricks thread, lol. Also I wont respond through email replies anymore

20191018_113001.thumb.jpg.73e7022e7b1af881e251493d747167c6.jpg

Gary,

Here is a pic of the mirror.

Sorry for hijacking Ricks thread, lol. Also I wont respond through email replies anymore

Dean - No problem, it happens a lot. I've moved the posts over here. This way you'll have the history in your own thread.

As for your mirrors, I think they are swing locks. But you should confirm that yourself. Go to Documentation/Exterior/Exterior Mirrors , scroll down on the Types tab and you'll see that you have Type 9 mirros. (Don't sweat that yours are rounded and those in the illustration are rectangular. The illustration is of the early ones and you have the later ones.) Then go to the Part #'s tab and scroll down to Type 9's and you'll see they are "swing locks".