Bullnose Forum

1978 Ford Bronco 4x4

I parked to to a 78 Ranger at Aldi's the other day. Guy came out while I was getting out of the truck. We chatted awhile. Showed me his truck. There is a HUGE difference in build quality between 78 and 80. The 70's trucks are just heavy duty. I love the Bullnose and Bricknose trucks, but the 70's had higher quality interior by a long shot.

I parked to to a 78 Ranger at Aldi's the other day. Guy came out while I was getting out of the truck. We chatted awhile. Showed me his truck. There is a HUGE difference in build quality between 78 and 80. The 70's trucks are just heavy duty. I love the Bullnose and Bricknose trucks, but the 70's had higher quality interior by a long shot.

WelderScott has a '78 F150 and he's had it over to the shop several times. And while I've noticed a huge difference in size of the parts and thickness in metal, I can't say I've noticed a difference in quality.

But, on the parts, just one example - his tie rods are the size of Big Blue's, and are much bigger than those on Dad's truck.

WelderScott has a '78 F150 and he's had it over to the shop several times. And while I've noticed a huge difference in size of the parts and thickness in metal, I can't say I've noticed a difference in quality.

But, on the parts, just one example - his tie rods are the size of Big Blue's, and are much bigger than those on Dad's truck.

A couple of things I noticed. Steel is thicker. Dash still has metal in it. I think plastic dashes are kinda cheap feeling.

I complain all the time about the doors on 80-86, they just feel like crap to me. Flimsy, can't get them to seal right. Noisy. Door panels barely stay on. Compared to a 79 and earlier, the old doors just shut well, sound dense, and feel heavy. To me, heavy is better built.

There is a large dent just below the drivers window felts on my truck. It is there, because of years of closing the door by grabbing the window sill with the window down. Literally, the metal is so thin, that the door skin is distorted because of simply grabbing the window sill and closing the door. That is not good quality.

With that said, I still love the bullnose. I'm just envious of the older and IMHO better looking interiors of the 70's.