Bullnose Forums

EEC III California Emissions - time to convert it?

66gtk

TPS voltage swing video

i can't see how it's possible to remove and replace the TPS on this carb while it's installed. I don't understand how the throttle shaft is wound through it.

The exact carb happens to be available on ebay now for photo reference

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-84-Ford-Truck-w-171-Ford-2V-Carburetor-w-TPS-Feedback-Valve-P-N-2-816-/223475629928

Compared to those without a TPS, the throttle shaft has a smaller diameter at the location of the TPS. I think you would need to remove the choke assembly from the carburetor in order to replace it. Like someone else suggested, I would try to find a genuine Ford/Motorcraft part to replace it with.

And that is *not* the exact carburetor on Ebay. The difference is in the throttle shaft. That carburetor has the kickdown linkage for a C6. The AOD would have completely different linkage to hook the TV rod to.

Probably no adjustment for the TPS, if there is it will probably be a reference voltage like the first EFI engines. Do yourself a favor, try to find a Motorcraft or at least Fomoco brand part, many of the aftermarket stuff is junk.

Would this be it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcraft-CX-798-Throttle-Position-Sensor-TPS-E3TZ-9B989-B/184120101145?fits=Year%3A1983%7CModel%3AF-150%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A5.0L&hash=item2ade69c919:g:MqQAAOSweI9eFmmQ

Probably no adjustment for the TPS, if there is it will probably be a reference voltage like the first EFI engines. Do yourself a favor, try to find a Motorcraft or at least Fomoco brand part, many of the aftermarket stuff is junk.

Would this be it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcraft-CX-798-Throttle-Position-Sensor-TPS-E3TZ-9B989-B/184120101145?fits=Year%3A1983%7CModel%3AF-150%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A5.0L&hash=item2ade69c919:g:MqQAAOSweI9eFmmQ

That sure does look like it. And it's even cheaper than the aftermarket parts.

Good job, Chief! :nabble_smiley_good:

Would this be it?

That sure does look like it. And it's even cheaper than the aftermarket parts.

Good job, Chief! :nabble_smiley_good:

Guess I'll have an extra on hand! Thanks for the link.

Here's the correct carb - yes?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Autolite-2150-1983-84-Ford-Truck-302-AOT-w-TPS-Feedback-Except-ALT/182480681991?hash=item2a7cb23c07:g:3U0AAOSwImRYk5RB

Troy

Bill - Yes, you nailed it. Mine is a convertible also with factory pony interior and a Toploader. Nice GT350!!!

IMG_20190504_193622705_HDR.jpg.34c7f751bb143d208707e9ac927154e7.jpg

Yes, that is the correct AOD/AOT throttle shaft and linkage. Not only is the geometry completely different, but notice that the TV rod connects to the front of the linkage. By contrast, the C4/C6 kickdown rod connects to the back of it's respective linkage.

I know they made millions of them, but they aren't so easy to find anymore.

Bill - Yes, you nailed it. Mine is a convertible also with factory pony interior and a Toploader. Nice GT350!!!

Any tips on how to do this without removing the carb? Is it even worth trying? It's very busy in this area and from my photos it looks like somebody already rounded off some screw heads trying?? ):

IMG_20200326_192504411.jpg.a76429e0f55069a62f309938e5f99f44.jpg

IMG_20200326_192714596.jpg.2285a72d65cd7fcb18db5356339aeb6e.jpg

Carb has to come off.

Today's update - carb removed, new TPS bench tested good. I installed it, and tested it again while on the carb. Still testing good. confirmed again old one taken off was tested bad, and the mounting screws were not even close to being tight allowing the TPS to move a bit.

I thought for sure this would solve the intermittent issue. I buttoned everything up, thanked God I didn't break anything and went for a drive. It's better, but the off idle stumble is still there at times. Not consistent, but it's there. I guess the TPS was not my magic bullet, but the truck is still enjoyable to drive and has plenty of power. For now it all remains stock, just like day 1. I'll drive it like this for a while. I also changed out the accelerator cable. It was stiff and difficult to modulate. The new one installed without an issue and made an instant improvement all around. Everything feels better, all with a simple cable change. It makes it easier to compensate for the hesitation when it happens, too.

STILL STOCK photo (: Certainly not pretty, but this is what Ford gave us back in the day.

stockengine.jpg.22106da67a62f6e2ace05758067c9fb4.jpg

Today's update - carb removed, new TPS bench tested good. I installed it, and tested it again while on the carb. Still testing good. confirmed again old one taken off was tested bad, and the mounting screws were not even close to being tight allowing the TPS to move a bit.

I thought for sure this would solve the intermittent issue. I buttoned everything up, thanked God I didn't break anything and went for a drive. It's better, but the off idle stumble is still there at times. Not consistent, but it's there. I guess the TPS was not my magic bullet, but the truck is still enjoyable to drive and has plenty of power. For now it all remains stock, just like day 1. I'll drive it like this for a while. I also changed out the accelerator cable. It was stiff and difficult to modulate. The new one installed without an issue and made an instant improvement all around. Everything feels better, all with a simple cable change. It makes it easier to compensate for the hesitation when it happens, too.

STILL STOCK photo (: Certainly not pretty, but this is what Ford gave us back in the day.

The stumble isn't consistent? Did the consistency/inconsistency change?

Have you tried enrichening the idle air/fuel mix?