Bullnose Forums

EEC III California Emissions - time to convert it?

66gtk

Yes, one pump is all it's ever needed and 2-3 seconds of cranking. Here's a real good old fashioned video to watch on how to start a carbureted vehicle and why it only takes one full pump. I also run only non oxygenated, ethanol free fuel and put seafoam in the tank for stabilizer and other benefits.

I did a little experimenting the other day. I have an analog voltmeter on order, but in the meantime I decided to go for a little test drive. While the vehicle was cold (at least a day since running), I unplugged the TPS from the harness completely. The start up procedure was the same and the truck started up easily and idled well. Drove around town until fully warmed up and it seemed to do pretty much the same thing it always does (mild stumbling) but not much hit/miss variability. It was also not an all day drive - quite short.

I left it running while I plugged the TPS back into the harness. The idle changed by a very small amount and I heard a few clicks of various solenoids after plugging it in. After about 30 seconds I disconnected it again (truck still running whole time). Idle changed ever so slightly and then I plugged it in again. Same result as before - slight idle change and a few solenoid clicks.

I drove it home with the TPS reconnected to compare the drive so far and it would be difficult for me to tell which drive had it connected vs unconnected.

I was actually expecting some sort of limp mode while the TPS was disconnected and was surprised there was so little change. I'm not sure what that means, but I look forward to my TPS voltage test next week. Perhaps I'm in limp mode all the time now? Probably not, but when the truck seems to fall on it's butt at times it certainly does feel like a limp mode situation. I'm not sure if the EEC-III even does that if something isn't right in the feedback loop.

I'd also like to test the feedback carburetor connection and voltage, but not sure how or what to look for. My connector to the back carb appears to have only two wires (brown and red) going into the plug in.

Have you pulled the codes? The ECU should be telling you what it thinks the problem is.

Yes, one pump is all it's ever needed and 2-3 seconds of cranking. Here's a real good old fashioned video to watch on how to start a carbureted vehicle and why it only takes one full pump. I also run only non oxygenated, ethanol free fuel and put seafoam in the tank for stabilizer and other benefits.

Yes, that's a good video. And is why *I* posted it on this forum a few weeks ago!

I use ethanol-free fuel in all of my carburetors.

Are you still running the stock mechanical fuel pump? How long can your truck sit before it needs more than one pump of fuel to start?

Lucille takes a single pump and starts immediately if it is driven every day or every other day. It always has and it starts the same as in the video. If the engine is warm, it doesn't even need that. If she sits all week, one single pump is simply not enough and I need to give her 5 pumps of fuel before starting the engine, but then she fires right up. It works like this every time.

But if she sits for 3 weeks - which is rare - it requires a little more.

Yes, that's a good video. And is why *I* posted it on this forum a few weeks ago!

I use ethanol-free fuel in all of my carburetors.

Are you still running the stock mechanical fuel pump? How long can your truck sit before it needs more than one pump of fuel to start?

Lucille takes a single pump and starts immediately if it is driven every day or every other day. It always has and it starts the same as in the video. If the engine is warm, it doesn't even need that. If she sits all week, one single pump is simply not enough and I need to give her 5 pumps of fuel before starting the engine, but then she fires right up. It works like this every time.

But if she sits for 3 weeks - which is rare - it requires a little more.

Gary, the EEC3 doesn't store any codes. I've found some videos on how to attempt to get live codes but you have to build a science experiment to read them. After all that, there are only a dozen possible code pulses and then you need a special breakout box to further diagnose in the manner your posted manual suggests.

Gary, the EEC3 doesn't store any codes. I've found some videos on how to attempt to get live codes but you have to build a science experiment to read them. After all that, there are only a dozen possible code pulses and then you need a special breakout box to further diagnose in the manner your posted manual suggests.

The EEC-III requires pulling a vacuum on the BARO sensor until it thinks you are on the moon, then it will give you voltmeter sweeps for codes.

The EEC-III requires pulling a vacuum on the BARO sensor until it thinks you are on the moon, then it will give you voltmeter sweeps for codes.

TPS voltage swing video

i can't see how it's possible to remove and replace the TPS on this carb while it's installed. I don't understand how the throttle shaft is wound through it.

The exact carb happens to be available on ebay now for photo reference

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-84-Ford-Truck-w-171-Ford-2V-Carburetor-w-TPS-Feedback-Valve-P-N-2-816-/223475629928

TPS voltage swing video

i can't see how it's possible to remove and replace the TPS on this carb while it's installed. I don't understand how the throttle shaft is wound through it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-84-Ford-Truck-w-171-Ford-2V-Carburetor-w-TPS-Feedback-Valve-P-N-2-816-/223475629928

You pull the choke and the fast idle cam to remove the TPS.

You pull the choke and the fast idle cam to remove the TPS.

I have a lot to learn - Not even close to being a mechanic. I can do simple things like this on my 66 Mustang, but this truck is a completely different ball of wires and hoses under the hood (:

Still looks like I'll need to remove the carb to get that choke assembly off?

TPS voltage swing video

I think you've found your problem. I don't believe there's supposed to be a dip in the readings.

But I don't know anything about removing the TPS. Maybe Bill can tell us more? And I'll look tomorrow to see if I have any other literature that tells.

I think you've found your problem. I don't believe there's supposed to be a dip in the readings.

But I don't know anything about removing the TPS. Maybe Bill can tell us more? And I'll look tomorrow to see if I have any other literature that tells.

Thanks - an if there is any "adjustment" to the TPS installation required, how does one go about that? There doesn't appear to be slotted screw holes for this (which would seem impossible to access when installed anyway) so maybe it just simply pushes on with a guide slot of some sort?

Thanks - an if there is any "adjustment" to the TPS installation required, how does one go about that? There doesn't appear to be slotted screw holes for this (which would seem impossible to access when installed anyway) so maybe it just simply pushes on with a guide slot of some sort?

Probably no adjustment for the TPS, if there is it will probably be a reference voltage like the first EFI engines. Do yourself a favor, try to find a Motorcraft or at least Fomoco brand part, many of the aftermarket stuff is junk.

1966 Mustang, from your screen name I would bet a 1966 GT with the K code HiPo 289. Here's what I used to own:

_66_GT350_2050_008.jpg.c415abf8af8fa21fb078e3ec723fde14.jpg

I had the Shelby-American 10 spoke (10 outer, 5 inner) mags on when I owned it. They were apparently real magnesium as they were super light.