Bullnose Forums

Oh, But do I have to take off the Bed??????

I've done this twice on my F-150, most recently at the beginning of this year, and I haven't removed the bed either time.

The way I did it the second time worked pretty well. First I loosened the front strap as much as possible without removing the nut; this dropped the front of the tank about 3" or so (I probably loosened the back strap a little bit as well, to let the tank pivot forward) and let me disconnect the fuel line. Then I put a floor jack under the rear of the tank, removed the rear strap, and lowered the tank to the point that I was able to reach up to where the filler tube goes into the tank and disconnect it. That let me put a line for a transfer pump into the tank and pump out the gas that was in there. One that was done I lowered the rear of the tank the rest of the way and removed the jack (I may have lowered it onto a small platform made of 2x4 chunks, or maybe onto the floor - I don't recall). At that point the nearly-empty tank was only supported by the loose front strap, which was easy to remove with one hand while I held the tank up with the other.

Installation was the reverse, but it was harder to do - there's probably a better way that I haven't figured out. Anyway, good luck!

Matthew - That sounds like a good process. :nabble_smiley_good:

Jim. does your truck still have the plastic shield on the front end of the side tank? They trap dirt, which once you add water you get mud which will eventually rust the top of the tank just above the seam.

Anyone used a transmission jack to lower the tank, instead of fighting it?

• 3 months later...

Yes, that is exactly what I use, it is a low profile Walker transmission jack.

It's been a while, but I hate to read a topic in a forum, and then get to the end of it and find that the OP never responds to let everyone know how they made out with their project. So to complete the loop... I did the tank change. It went great, much of my concern with rusted parts and rotted tubing was quickly dismissed, when I started with tanks straps and as long as those bolts were, they came off smoothly. I used some Tie-down straps to support eh end of the tank as I lowered it with my floor jack. and loosened them a bit more. I then continued to lower it enough to access the fill hose clamp, the fuel line clamp, and the sender wire. Although I purchased new straps suspecting I would have to cut them off, They sit in my shop looking for either the old ones to rot off, or someone on here to say they need them. (See the details of my truck bellow, this was a 18-gallon, single-tank truck, so if you need Straps, I'l send them to you , just pay shipping. Thanks again to the Bullnose forum, and the members, for once again being a great resource for this vintage of F-Series.

It's been a while, but I hate to read a topic in a forum, and then get to the end of it and find that the OP never responds to let everyone know how they made out with their project. So to complete the loop... I did the tank change. It went great, much of my concern with rusted parts and rotted tubing was quickly dismissed, when I started with tanks straps and as long as those bolts were, they came off smoothly. I used some Tie-down straps to support eh end of the tank as I lowered it with my floor jack. and loosened them a bit more. I then continued to lower it enough to access the fill hose clamp, the fuel line clamp, and the sender wire. Although I purchased new straps suspecting I would have to cut them off, They sit in my shop looking for either the old ones to rot off, or someone on here to say they need them. (See the details of my truck bellow, this was a 18-gallon, single-tank truck, so if you need Straps, I'l send them to you , just pay shipping. Thanks again to the Bullnose forum, and the members, for once again being a great resource for this vintage of F-Series.

Thank, or should that be 'tanks, for the followup. It is always good to know how things turn out, and even better when they turn out well.

As for the offer on the straps, that is the spirit of the Bullnose Forum! :nabble_anim_claps: