Bullnose Test Forum

My Vacuum Mess!

Matt Wood

Hi guys, this is my first post. I have an 85 bronco with a new 351w and i need to clean up the vacuum system before i start it for the first time! Its currently a mess, in the process of cleaning it up i would like to remove the emissions stuff as i don't think its really necessary.

Here is a video of the mess i'm working with,

Screenshot_20191014-223945_Gallery.jpg.e8a4a3184b25fa2183b9ce420238f8c7.jpg

Matt - Glad you posted. Good job.

All - Matt's from the UK, Stanstead area. And he told me in the background that the Bronco is old enough that it doesn't have to meet emissions standards.

Matt - We have a page here that talks about what minimal vacuum connections you need: Documentation/Underhood/Vacuum Systems.

Have a read of that and then let's chat about it on here. And I'll work on another post as well.

Matt - Glad you posted. Good job.

All - Matt's from the UK, Stanstead area. And he told me in the background that the Bronco is old enough that it doesn't have to meet emissions standards.

Matt - We have a page here that talks about what minimal vacuum connections you need: Documentation/Underhood/Vacuum Systems.

Have a read of that and then let's chat about it on here. And I'll work on another post as well.

Thanks for the link, I have got so much more than that, i'm very worried about ripping it out as it does work fine at the moment however something needs to be done! You'll see in the video that i have a vacuum bank type thing on the inner fender. Do i need any of that? or can i just remove it and not worry. I don't think the intake manifold has the previsions for any type of EGR Although i could be completely wrong (weiand 8023) and the charcoal canister didn't even have pipes running to it when i bought the truck so someone seems to have started the job!

Thanks for the link, I have got so much more than that, i'm very worried about ripping it out as it does work fine at the moment however something needs to be done! You'll see in the video that i have a vacuum bank type thing on the inner fender. Do i need any of that? or can i just remove it and not worry. I don't think the intake manifold has the previsions for any type of EGR Although i could be completely wrong (weiand 8023) and the charcoal canister didn't even have pipes running to it when i bought the truck so someone seems to have started the job!

Matt - The things you point out are part of a very elaborate emissions system. And since you do not have EGR (the intake manifold doesn't have EGR capability) your emissions system isn't going to work, for the most part. So I think you are going to have to remove it.

So the question is how to recommend you approach doing that. One way would be for us to try to identify everything that should come off. But I think the better way is for you to hook it up as shown on the page in the link above and then start it up to prove it works. Then you can start removing things that aren't connected.

Having said that, to start the engine you don't really need any vacuum devices hooked up. But you do need all open ports plugged. So you could plug all the ports and start the engine. Then, once you prove the engine is working properly you can start adding things like the vacuum advance, power brakes, PCV, etc.

The vacuum equipment on the right fender (almost said "passenger's fender", but I don't know if your truck is RHD or LHD), behind the battery, is probably for the charcoal cannister.

Matt - The things you point out are part of a very elaborate emissions system. And since you do not have EGR (the intake manifold doesn't have EGR capability) your emissions system isn't going to work, for the most part. So I think you are going to have to remove it.

So the question is how to recommend you approach doing that. One way would be for us to try to identify everything that should come off. But I think the better way is for you to hook it up as shown on the page in the link above and then start it up to prove it works. Then you can start removing things that aren't connected.

Having said that, to start the engine you don't really need any vacuum devices hooked up. But you do need all open ports plugged. So you could plug all the ports and start the engine. Then, once you prove the engine is working properly you can start adding things like the vacuum advance, power brakes, PCV, etc.

The vacuum equipment on the right fender (almost said "passenger's fender", but I don't know if your truck is RHD or LHD), behind the battery, is probably for the charcoal cannister.

If you do not have emission system requirements, be sure the catalytic converter is gone (should be as I don't believe unleaded fuel was common in Europe at the time your truck was built) you need some form of evaporative purge system, otherwise the charcoal canister(s) will load up with petrol fumes.

Vacuum advance should be from the ported vacuum tap on the carburetter and this source can also be used for the canister purge control valve. One item I noticed, you have a large vacuum top on the right rear intake runner, this can cause #4 and occasionally #7 cylinders to run lean. If your manifold has a vacuum tap location that is closer to the center, or at least in a location where it enters both sides of the intake runners is better. You have the crankcase ventilation valve into the front of your carburetter and if the line teed from it goes to the canister purge control valve's large port, the ported tap will serve to actuate it.

The thermal vacuum valve on the thermostat housing, should most likely be plumbed lower port to ported vacuum tap on carburetter, middle to vacuum advance on distributor, top to a direct vacuum source. This is to advance the timing if the motor overheats.

Cheers! If we can help with it feel free to ask.

Thanks for the help guys, you really inspired me to go nuts.... my engine bay looks so clean, i have removed so much crap that just didn't look necessary lol, i'll upload a photo tomorrow once its all back together and running (hopefully). Bill, my truck is a Michigan built truck! I had it shipped over from the states last year so its all the same running gear as yours!

Thanks for the help guys, you really inspired me to go nuts.... my engine bay looks so clean, i have removed so much crap that just didn't look necessary lol, i'll upload a photo tomorrow once its all back together and running (hopefully). Bill, my truck is a Michigan built truck! I had it shipped over from the states last year so its all the same running gear as yours!

Cool! Can't wait to see pics, inc the pile of "stuff" you removed. :nabble_smiley_good:

Hope it starts and runs well.

• 6 months later...

Cool! Can't wait to see pics, inc the pile of "stuff" you removed. :nabble_smiley_good:

Hope it starts and runs well.

I apologise for not updating this for such a long time! but here are the pictures of what i removed and how it looks now without this massive mess cluttering up the engine bay...

You may not be able to see the tape measure here but thats about 2 feet square of wiring and hoses! the camera really doesn't do it justice

20200419_201555.jpg.0e7ab10d8c4e666b2a9109c0e3821323.jpg

Screenshot_20200420-114041_Gallery.jpg.53f3164c10861e32026516363c65c4ff.jpg

1430085280.thumb.jpg.43c0b1d9fb9c4724d0df0139aefaf7e8.jpg

I apologise for not updating this for such a long time! but here are the pictures of what i removed and how it looks now without this massive mess cluttering up the engine bay...

You may not be able to see the tape measure here but thats about 2 feet square of wiring and hoses! the camera really doesn't do it justice

Wow, as the owner of a California truck living in California, I am jealous of that engine bay! Mine will never look that nice...

Awesome job, it looks great.

Matt - It sure looks good! You took a BUNCH of "stuff" out of there. Well done!

What did you paint the fender liners with? They look new.