Bullnose Forums

The Great Seat Question

Danny G

I am at a cross roads. It is time to put the seats back in.

Looking at the stock bench I can reupholster this set with some Corinthian vinyl,, new foam, new wire support, and back cover for about $550 in parts, heck could drop in some seat heaters while I'm at it and bump that to about $700.

Is this a massive undertaking? Is it worth it? I am afraid I will get into this and find the seat is not worth saving or I cant get it right.

The other option is some seats from TMI. I saw a bullnose build with these where they put a 4.6 into. The bracket is $240, a split bench is $1200. If you want buckets they can be had in high back or low back with head rest for about $1400, low back for $900. I guess when you start talking $700 for a "this may work" with some figurative language and time vs $1200 for this will work, its warrantied, probably a sturdier seat, and just bolt it in... that $500 difference doesn't seem so big.

I assume you've looked at the page in Documentation/Interior/Seat Interchangeability?

As for your questions about cost, a few years ago I had two Bronco captain's chairs and a headliner done for just over $1000. So if it costs $700 for the parts I'd have it done.

And if you are considering buckets, I wouldn't go with the captain's chairs as they are a bit too tall. I think the low-back buckets would be better.

But if you might ever want to put three people in the cab I'd seriously consider the later split bench seat. Some have an armrest that could be really helpful. And with the seat pan they should bolt right in and use the reinforced mounting spots.

I assume you've looked at the page in Documentation/Interior/Seat Interchangeability?

As for your questions about cost, a few years ago I had two Bronco captain's chairs and a headliner done for just over $1000. So if it costs $700 for the parts I'd have it done.

And if you are considering buckets, I wouldn't go with the captain's chairs as they are a bit too tall. I think the low-back buckets would be better.

But if you might ever want to put three people in the cab I'd seriously consider the later split bench seat. Some have an armrest that could be really helpful. And with the seat pan they should bolt right in and use the reinforced mounting spots.

I did not install the middle lap belt, plan to leave it a two seater even with a bench.

The mounting bracket made by tmi uses the existing holes to mount buckets with a center console. TMI's buckets are the same dimensions as their bench but with a headrest.

Corbeau also makes a mount like this for their seats. This allows buckets to sit as low as the factor bench, with 7-10 inches of added back height ( mostly, if not all head rest).

Actually the corbeau buckets are only $600/pair and are significantly cheaper than TMI. You would have to make your own center console I believe. But for the repair price you get new seats in this case.

Screenshot_20191013-162036.thumb.png.ad57a1b6aa06970b214e48b7f2a56943.png

Screenshot_20191013-162300.thumb.png.00fc847658443ad90b92d295535f1ac2.png

Screenshot_20191013-162712.thumb.png.4cd72fc476fb1b93483b5be6547e4147.png

Screenshot_20191013-162706.thumb.png.a7534a8ad1ce08fe7cc6ee32253f382b.png

Screenshot_20191013-162655.thumb.png.94dcdabaf56abd372a55f72bce88ec64.png

I did not install the middle lap belt, plan to leave it a two seater even with a bench.

The mounting bracket made by tmi uses the existing holes to mount buckets with a center console. TMI's buckets are the same dimensions as their bench but with a headrest.

Corbeau also makes a mount like this for their seats. This allows buckets to sit as low as the factor bench, with 7-10 inches of added back height ( mostly, if not all head rest).

Actually the corbeau buckets are only $600/pair and are significantly cheaper than TMI. You would have to make your own center console I believe. But for the repair price you get new seats in this case.

Here is a picture of how TMI's low back buckets fit in a 1985 F-150. They sell this bucket with the option of a head rest, which I personally prefer for safety reasons.

Screenshot_20191013-163455.png.4113f71974d3e1b28485853f0f5380ba.png

Here is a picture of how TMI's low back buckets fit in a 1985 F-150. They sell this bucket with the option of a head rest, which I personally prefer for safety reasons.

I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish with the truck. If you are going for the "period correct" look then the Bronco low-backed buckets would be my choice. But if you aren't concerned about it looking like it came in the truck then the more modern seats might be better.

I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish with the truck. If you are going for the "period correct" look then the Bronco low-backed buckets would be my choice. But if you aren't concerned about it looking like it came in the truck then the more modern seats might be better.

Those bronco type low back by buckets are nice. I'm still torn lol it will take me.a bit to decide.

It's a 3 way tie for me Reupholster with new foam and heaters, low back buckets, or new bench.

With that said... There is a wire that ties the slide mechanism from each side of the bench. Mine is out of sorts has a couple springs hanging so when you pull the lever it actually reduces tension on that cable.

Any clue on how this cable should run?

Those bronco type low back by buckets are nice. I'm still torn lol it will take me.a bit to decide.

It's a 3 way tie for me Reupholster with new foam and heaters, low back buckets, or new bench.

With that said... There is a wire that ties the slide mechanism from each side of the bench. Mine is out of sorts has a couple springs hanging so when you pull the lever it actually reduces tension on that cable.

Any clue on how this cable should run?

You are talking about the wire shown below (Documentation/Interior/Seats & Seat Tracks) - right? If so, I'm guessing that your left and right sides are out of sync. To fix that you pull the lever and move one side to line up with the other.

seat-track-bench.thumb.jpg.17e0485a7f0a932173e3ddaf2a7aa108.jpg

You are talking about the wire shown below (Documentation/Interior/Seats & Seat Tracks) - right? If so, I'm guessing that your left and right sides are out of sync. To fix that you pull the lever and move one side to line up with the other.

Yes that 61726 wire is there, the spring over the passenger side of this wire was loose and hanging, there is another loose and hanging on the driver side and 61726 where it connects do the drivers lever was bent out of whack. I slipped everything back together I'm pretty sure like that picture, but maybe the PO had the wire in the wrong hole. When I actuate the lever it loosens the wire. This makes sense if the wire is in the hole marked in red on this shot.wire.png.b25ed85a37d78d9b6cca97bcccfb3959.png

Yes that 61726 wire is there, the spring over the passenger side of this wire was loose and hanging, there is another loose and hanging on the driver side and 61726 where it connects do the drivers lever was bent out of whack. I slipped everything back together I'm pretty sure like that picture, but maybe the PO had the wire in the wrong hole. When I actuate the lever it loosens the wire. This makes sense if the wire is in the hole marked in red on this shot.

The wire should get tight and release the latch on the far side.

Yes that 61726 wire is there, the spring over the passenger side of this wire was loose and hanging, there is another loose and hanging on the driver side and 61726 where it connects do the drivers lever was bent out of whack. I slipped everything back together I'm pretty sure like that picture, but maybe the PO had the wire in the wrong hole. When I actuate the lever it loosens the wire. This makes sense if the wire is in the hole marked in red on this shot.

My seat works, I mean I drove that bad boy for like 11 hours and was fine. I am worried if I repair it then it will tear up again. It doesn't hurt my feelings to have a 100% stock looking interior in that respect. I mean I am looking at a after market head liner, gauge cluster, and radio. Ad to that the interior is 2 toned in black and saddle tan etc.

A more modern seat would be safer in my eyes, more comfortable. Those are the low back pro classics in the picture, they have shallower bolster then the low back pro's have but are essentially the same seat and the low back pro has a head rest option. One nice thing about having low back buckets like in that picture with head rests is the safety aspect.God forbid you get in a wreck, your seat belt may stop you from smashing your face into the steering wheel, but every action has an equal and opposite correct.... your head is then heading into the back window like a pinball. A headrest could very well be the difference between being a vegetable/dead, and surviving a crash, especially since the highway speed has changed from 55mph to 70-80mph. We get about 1 dozen idiots playing NASCAR on my drive home every day at 90 with 6 feet of space between them and the person in front of them and that isn't an exaggeration. I was doing 80mph today and got passed by multiple vehicles like I was standing still, we have very limited highway patrol resources so there is no deterrence, even with the unnecessary rate of highway death here.

Side by side of the buckets, Pro- Classic Low back (26.5" height), Pro Low back (26.5" height), Pro Low back w/headrest (26.5"back height + 8.5" head rest) and stock bench has a back height of 26.5" as well. so they will all sit in the same plane.