Bullnose Forums

What Size Driver?

I'm trying to eliminate some old squeaks and knocks in an effort to pinpoint a new rattle. Part of that effort is to tighten up the bed floor. Although some of the bolts are slacked, the nuts are frozen and I've been dosing them with penetrating oil. This weekend I'll get one of my girls to try to hold the top while I crack the nuts under the bed and remove, clean and re-tighten.

Daft question: Do the old salts here know the drive-type of the large bed bolts? It almost looks like a Fearson rather than a Phillips, but I'm not sure.

Is it #4?

Thanks in advance.

Bed_Bolt_Ford.jpg.7efa7772d1902f2f122ea0403a8ef9d9.jpg

Those bed bolts appear to be the aftermarket ones from Mar-K? Did you replace them?

I used I believe a #4 Phillips with 3/8" drive...with a broken tip no less. I think a #3 will work in a pinch, but they're even bigger than #4 anyway...

You could call Mar-K in Oklahoma and ask them what size you're supposed to use on their 1/2" bed bolts.

Those bed bolts appear to be the aftermarket ones from Mar-K? Did you replace them?

I used I believe a #4 Phillips with 3/8" drive...with a broken tip no less. I think a #3 will work in a pinch, but they're even bigger than #4 anyway...

You could call Mar-K in Oklahoma and ask them what size you're supposed to use on their 1/2" bed bolts.

Thanks Steve, another great resource.

Cory, that may well be. It predates my ownership. I'll give them a call, $ thanks for the potential identification.