Bullnose Forums

What are the symptoms of a bad or weak ignition coil?

Ford mounted the [DSII] ignition coil vertically on the back of the air conditioner compressor bracket if it had the 5.8L H.O. engine. Even though I have a 5.0L H.O.(!) engine, it has the same bracket and the hole for the bolt is already there, so I chose to mount it here instead of horizontally on the intake manifold. I think it looks better in this location, and is much easier to get to if the need arises:

I've seen some SBF's with the coils mounted vertically in front of the head(s) if I recall correctly?

Was there a Ford bracket for this install on a Non-AC 302, or was it something homegrown by the owner?

Look for a stock coil bracket for a late 1960s 289 or 302 engine before emissions controls. Here is a short description of the different coil brackets (with pictures and part numbers) that Ford used to mount the coils:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/tech-qa/1808-coil-bracket-issues-vintage-mustang-tech-questions-answers

I like the way you think. I used stock Ford alternator brackets from an earlier non-emissions model to mount the alternator in a better location when I deleted the thermactor on my truck. It looks a LOT better without that huge thermactor bracket, and the alternator is now mounted higher up so I can actually get to it. And since I used OEM Ford parts, no one can tell it isn't stock to my truck.

Look for a stock coil bracket for a late 1960s 289 or 302 engine before emissions controls. Here is a short description of the different coil brackets (with pictures and part numbers) that Ford used to mount the coils:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/tech-qa/1808-coil-bracket-issues-vintage-mustang-tech-questions-answers

I like the way you think. I used stock Ford alternator brackets from an earlier non-emissions model to mount the alternator in a better location when I deleted the thermactor on my truck. It looks a LOT better without that huge thermactor bracket, and the alternator is now mounted higher up so I can actually get to it. And since I used OEM Ford parts, no one can tell it isn't stock to my truck.

Thanks for the info Rick.

I still have the original smog pump bracket, but I cut all of the upper parts off of it. I may make a custom coil mount that sits on top of that bracket...we'll see. It's low priority at the moment, but I am contemplating installing a different carb and if I do that the coil is going to need to move.