Bullnose Forums

'85 Flareside: archeology and mysteries

Looks to be the original bed wood too.

You can help us all out with a mystery, in the left side of the bed, up against the headboard (in the bed) take a close-up photo of the bed wall lip and bolts. Notice if the left side corner and the right side corner have different amount of bolts.

Now look underneath by the gas filler tube, do you have the "mysterious piece of square stock" ???

Thanks

20191008_185752.jpg.76a1504c19178bd43caeda0904e0911e.jpg hey Reamer is this the area you mean? Left and right bedside bolts at the forward end? There look to be four...

right side...

Still figuring out posting photos on the forum apparently, need to figure out how to turn them... let me know if this is the area you mean?

The more I look at the truck the more I realize how straight & original it is.

I'm not planning to do anything right away, now am just cleaning years of dirt. With the bed floor being original etc, glad to take as many pics as everyone wants...

Interesting that there aren't any fender braces underneath

Still figuring out posting photos on the forum apparently, need to figure out how to turn them... let me know if this is the area you mean?

The more I look at the truck the more I realize how straight & original it is.

I'm not planning to do anything right away, now am just cleaning years of dirt. With the bed floor being original etc, glad to take as many pics as everyone wants...

Interesting that there aren't any fender braces underneath

20191008_185931.jpg.518c5e5826a3a7e8b3c566d81d90de55.jpg is this the box like thing you mean? That's odd, what is that thing for? :).

Last shot is from a low angle looking up at it...

Yes. Looking at the bolts going into the wood, (in those corners) On the drivers corner, are there more bolts in the first 6" x 6" than on the passenger side 6" x 6"?

You may see some bolt heads that are only in the wood on the drivers side, (or extra ones in the steel lip) that are not in the pass side.

There IT is! the mysterious piece! in your last photo, look just to the right of the filler hose, the "orange" bar.

This thing is not documented in any Ford illustrations, Some thought Ford did not install this, but there it is.

The black box this is the gas filler neck-cap holder.

Alright Gary, your up on this....:nabble_smiley_tongue:

Bar.jpg.7cbe83c995fb0e8bd92d033d40089c25.jpg

Yes. Looking at the bolts going into the wood, (in those corners) On the drivers corner, are there more bolts in the first 6" x 6" than on the passenger side 6" x 6"?

You may see some bolt heads that are only in the wood on the drivers side, (or extra ones in the steel lip) that are not in the pass side.

There IT is! the mysterious piece! in your last photo, look just to the right of the filler hose, the "orange" bar.

This thing is not documented in any Ford illustrations, Some thought Ford did not install this, but there it is.

Alright Gary, your up on this....:nabble_smiley_tongue:

Replied before I saw your last post. "Gas filler neck cap holder?"

Pic showing bolt head pattern from above: 20191008_222744.jpg.c66016a0d68aafa256f7b26ee7d664d9.jpg

Replied before I saw your last post. "Gas filler neck cap holder?"

Pic showing bolt head pattern from above:

Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to scrub the bed floor down just a bit and really clean. The underside also, will try to get better pictures

It's like the factory 3pc plywood bed floor from late 1982 to 1987, lots of people say that Ford didn't do that either.:nabble_smiley_grin:

But back to the square steel tube bracket...not only was it installed by Ford...it was part of the design (in case anybody thinks it was added after the fact). I installed the new Ford bedsides on my truck, and they had the extra 2 square holes on the left side for this piece.

You can see this part on my original 1984 bed below:

IMG_5982.jpg.60f079d754bcbe12eebd088205fdbdfb.jpg

bed.jpg.1fd518ec4c0cfef3b444362c47d0e14b.jpg

I have no idea what the thing is for though...lol.

Here are a couple pics of my new bedsides...and the holes for the steel bracket were there, stamped in the original panels.

IMG_7793.jpg.29aa0cbb5bbc19e4f63361f1874080a7.jpg

bed2.jpg.58f96dc9cec0a1ea5810e5e852e2eb60.jpg

Interesting I guess. Be cool to find out what that stupid thing was for.