Bullnose Forums

proportion valve for my truck

snakebite8

I am hoping someone has a spare proportion valve they can sell me. I tried fixing my old one. still wont work. bought two from amazon and they both did not work. the rear brakes wont bleed. only thing stopping me from driving the truck is this. hoping someone has one. thanks truck is 1985 2wd

There were several of those valves, as shown on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Brakes and on the Proportioning Valve tab. The one you want should be the 1984 and later one for the F150.

I can only find universal ones. nothing that is 100% 1985 f150 ones. and the two universal ones did buy did not work and the seller said they would.

rear brakes wont bleed. first new one only passenger rear would. and 2nd new one both rear would not bleed.

That's exactly why I asked. The proportioning valve cannot differentiate between the left and right rear brakes. There's one line that comes off the master cylinder and goes to the rear, where it splits at the axle vent on the axle, which you can see in the illustration below.

So if you were able to bleed one rear brake and not the other it isn't the proportioning valve's fault. I'm going to guess that you may have a flattened brake line somewhere. Maybe along the frame or on the rear axle. Or, that the rubber hose that connects from the frame to the rear axle is bad. I've heard about them causing similar problems.

brake-systems-page-a.thumb.jpg.98a6ffa88c16dbdea7c9a15c38ffd37c.jpg

The proportioning valve cannot differentiate between the left and right rear brakes.
I agree.
There's one line that comes off the master cylinder and goes to the rear, where it splits at the axle vent on the axle, which you can see in the illustration below.

So if you were able to bleed one rear brake and not the other it isn't the proportioning valve's fault. I'm going to guess that you may have a flattened brake line somewhere. Maybe along the frame or on the rear axle. Or, that the rubber hose that connects from the frame to the rear axle is bad.

For the same reasons that the prop.valve can't cause a L/R bias, neither can the frame tube or rear axle hose. The fault MUST be between the splitter block on the axle vent, and the problem wheel cylinder.

But if anyone actually needs one, I still have this one that worked fine when I switched to the later system:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/932180/thumbnail/propvlv83.jpg

The proportioning valve cannot differentiate between the left and right rear brakes.
I agree.
There's one line that comes off the master cylinder and goes to the rear, where it splits at the axle vent on the axle, which you can see in the illustration below.

So if you were able to bleed one rear brake and not the other it isn't the proportioning valve's fault. I'm going to guess that you may have a flattened brake line somewhere. Maybe along the frame or on the rear axle. Or, that the rubber hose that connects from the frame to the rear axle is bad.

For the same reasons that the prop.valve can't cause a L/R bias, neither can the frame tube or rear axle hose. The fault MUST be between the splitter block on the axle vent, and the problem wheel cylinder.

But if anyone actually needs one, I still have this one that worked fine when I switched to the later system:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/932180/thumbnail/propvlv83.jpg

Steve - I fully agree that the frame line nor the hose can cause a problem with one brake and not the other. But, I wondered if there was something odd going on that might have gotten overlooked since usually he seems to be unable to bleed either rear brake. Perhaps the time he could bleed the passenger's side was a fluke?

Steve - I fully agree that the frame line nor the hose can cause a problem with one brake and not the other. But, I wondered if there was something odd going on that might have gotten overlooked since usually he seems to be unable to bleed either rear brake. Perhaps the time he could bleed the passenger's side was a fluke?

also no brake fluid is leaving the valve to go to the rear