Bullnose Forum

Carb leaking from fuel filter

delco1946

I’m notorious in the plumbing world for not tightening fixtures enough, resulting in a slow drip drip drip. Of course, I have this same problem after replacing my screw-in-to-the-carb type fuel filter. I even “over tightened” it knowing I have a tendency to under tighten things. I long ago stopped using Teflon tape in plumbing as I consider it useless garbage. However I use a yellow (pte?) pipe dope that is a god-send, and doesn’t seem to dry out. Is there something like this for carb use that y’all approve of? It obviously needs to be fuel and heat safe, non-corrosive, and allow for future filter removal. The yellow pipe dope I have I believe is safe for natural gas plumbing ( going off memory ATM)- would this mean it’s safe for fuel?

The problem with Teflon tape is with it getting into the fuel and clogging passages. But I've used it w/o problem by keeping it one or two threads back of the leading edge of the fitting. Sometimes that means it has to be out on the flats, but whatever it takes I make sure it doesn't get into the fuel stream.

For things like fuel systems I'd rather use tape than paste as I'm afraid the paste will dilute and get loose.

For other things, like air fittings, I use a combo of tape and PTFE paste. The tape is kept one or two threads back and the paste is used on those exposed one or two threads. This combo has worked extremely well for me.

I almost always use Loctite PST.

It is an anerobic thread sealant, with anti-galling and lubrication qualities.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/product/thread-sealants/loctite_567.html

According to the PDF it is recommended for petroleum refineries (among other things) so I think high temp and fuel resistance is a given.

That's probably one of the best solutions to this problem. No chance of bits of Teflon getting loose from the tape nor the paste dissolving and contaminating the carb. :nabble_smiley_good: