Bullnose Forums

New Garage has morphed into New House :)

ctubutis

Chris, I like the patriotic paint theme!

Yeah, I had to be careful there with the coloring, I don't want it to look like a giant American flag. The walls are actually a light shade of gray and only the ceiling is white, but you probably can't really see that in the pictures.

All the paint is exterior semi-gloss enamel to make it easier to clean/squirt with a garden hose. :)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I had to be careful there with the coloring, I don't want it to look like a giant American flag. The walls are actually a light shade of gray and only the ceiling is white, but you probably can't really see that in the pictures.

All the paint is exterior semi-gloss enamel to make it easier to clean/squirt with a garden hose. :)

I forgot to comment on the phone and the Bell sign. I was jealous of the sign when you showed it to me while you and Bill were here. It sure looks good there. :nabble_smiley_good:

And, now that you may have a place to display it, if you want the 'scope back that's no problem. It would look good as well.

Chris, I will try to look at the left over sealer Mary's cousin put on my floor tomorrow. It's not slippery and cleans up pretty well.

That would be cool, Bill, thank you! I want to go to the various paint & home improvement stores awa the Home & Garden show up in the city next weekend (or so) to see if I can maybe find whatever it is you tell me. :)

• 4 months later...

Chris, I will try to look at the left over sealer Mary's cousin put on my floor tomorrow. It's not slippery and cleans up pretty well.

That would be cool, Bill, thank you! I want to go to the various paint & home improvement stores awa the Home & Garden show up in the city next weekend (or so) to see if I can maybe find whatever it is you tell me. :)

Does anybody remember the contraption in the floor onto which I can attach a winch? What should that be?

I decided on an embedded receiver hitch + 4 anchor bolts in the floor, now need to figure out how to mount a winch to that stuff.

20180706_2016511.jpg.346d8a0513d8f70c98529b3cf66d1677.jpg

Last seen here as:

20171117_104534.jpg.6251c90415d3d15af2b577cc1cb4c72e.jpg

and

receiver-hitch.jpg.1ace47649b400644fd8ca79eeeb14ff6.jpg

Does anybody remember the contraption in the floor onto which I can attach a winch? What should that be?

I decided on an embedded receiver hitch + 4 anchor bolts in the floor, now need to figure out how to mount a winch to that stuff.

Last seen here as:

and

Yep, I remember it. But, I don't see in the above posts what is in the concrete that the bolts screw into. I ask because my 12,000 lb winch bolts to the bumper with 4 bolts - and that's it. Granted they are the equivalent of G8's, but if what you have in the concrete is significant then you might not need the draw bar part of the equation. But, you have it so why not use it.

For max strength I'd make the plate of 1/4" thick material (my Warn bumper of made of 1/4" plate) a bit bigger than the bolt holes in the floor. Put those holes in it and then lay out the holes for the winch, centered as much as you can. Then weld nuts to the backside for the winch, just tacking G8 nuts to keep the heat down.

Then in the very center cut a hole just to fit the drawbar. Cut part of the drawbar off and slip it in the hole in the floor. Put the plate over it, and mark the top of the drawbar where it comes through the plate and then cut the drawbar down. To get the strongest weld you need maybe 3/8" of the drawbar above the plate so you can weld to it. But that may interfere with the winch. If so, you may need to space the winch up off the plate to clear the drawbar.

You will probably find that things are off just a bit between the drawbar hole and the holes to the bolts in the floor, so those holes will need to be a bit larger than the bolts and you'll need to use washers. But that arrangement should be very strong and will easily hold the force from your winch. Have fun!

.... To get the strongest weld you need maybe 3/8" of the drawbar above the plate so you can weld to it. But that may interfere with the winch. If so, you may need to space the winch up off the plate to clear the drawbar.....

Keep in mind that if you space the winch up using loose spacers that you will be putting the bolts in bending rather than shear. That makes the bolts holding the winch to the plate much less strong. If you attach the spacers to the plate (strongly enough to not break free), then you will still have the bolts in shear.

.... To get the strongest weld you need maybe 3/8" of the drawbar above the plate so you can weld to it. But that may interfere with the winch. If so, you may need to space the winch up off the plate to clear the drawbar.....

Keep in mind that if you space the winch up using loose spacers that you will be putting the bolts in bending rather than shear. That makes the bolts holding the winch to the plate much less strong. If you attach the spacers to the plate (strongly enough to not break free), then you will still have the bolts in shear.

Good point. I was expecting the drawbar to take the load though.

Good point. I was expecting the drawbar to take the load though.

I was thinking of the bolts holding the winch to the plate. You suggested allowing the drawbar to stick 3/8" above the plate to allow welding it top and bottom, and then spacing the winch up off the plate to clear the top of the drawbar. I'm suggesting welding those spacers to the plate so the bolts holding the winch to the plate are in shear.

I was thinking of the bolts holding the winch to the plate. You suggested allowing the drawbar to stick 3/8" above the plate to allow welding it top and bottom, and then spacing the winch up off the plate to clear the top of the drawbar. I'm suggesting welding those spacers to the plate so the bolts holding the winch to the plate are in shear.

Ahhhh! My bad! :nabble_smiley_blush:

You are absolutely right! Good catch. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yep, I remember it. But, I don't see in the above posts what is in the concrete that the bolts screw into.

These things right here, the gold-colored ends (bolts + washer) are exposed:

anchor-bolts.thumb.jpg.11f5f109d055a91b1f082ac7c6303c2c.jpg

I ask because my 12,000 lb winch bolts to the bumper with 4 bolts - and that's it. Granted they are the equivalent of G8's, but if what you have in the concrete is significant then you might not need the draw bar part of the equation. But, you have it so why not use it.

Which is exactly how I ended up feeling when I was figuring out exactly what to put into the cement... it's easy enough to add all this stuff, so why not. I don't have to use both methods together but I can, it's optional.

For max strength I'd make the plate of 1/4" thick material (my Warn bumper of made of 1/4" plate) a bit bigger than the bolt holes in the floor. Put those holes in it and then lay out the holes for the winch, centered as much as you can. Then weld nuts to the backside for the winch, just tacking G8 nuts to keep the heat down.

Then in the very center cut a hole just to fit the drawbar. Cut part of the drawbar off and slip it in the hole in the floor. Put the plate over it, and mark the top of the drawbar where it comes through the plate and then cut the drawbar down. To get the strongest weld you need maybe 3/8" of the drawbar above the plate so you can weld to it. But that may interfere with the winch. If so, you may need to space the winch up off the plate to clear the drawbar.

You will probably find that things are off just a bit between the drawbar hole and the holes to the bolts in the floor, so those holes will need to be a bit larger than the bolts and you'll need to use washers. But that arrangement should be very strong and will easily hold the force from your winch. Have fun!

A heavy-duty approach; typical of engineers, I guess. ;)

Seriously, thank you for the idea, I will have to measure and see how large such an assembly would actually be, and where to store it when not in use.

The Receiver hitch idea made perfect sense since I'd been using my brother's trailer quite a bit last year, and was already looking at how the winch mounts on that thing. That square tube stuff can be had as stock material.

The thought of angle iron + some sort of small base came into my mind if I want to use only the bolts in the floor.

Using only the draw bar, I'd want to effectively take your steel plate idea but flip it vertically and mount it + some supporting infrastructure (angle iron, that tube stuff, whatever) to the draw bar. And easily stored when not in use. :)

To make both a plate + draw bar assembly, um, hmm.... I'll have to take some measurements....