Bullnose Forums

4x4 conversion without a donor truck

Danny G

OK resident experts. I hear the swap is not to bad. In fact, every post I can find on this is that the donor swap is pretty much a bolt on thing.

Here's my problem. Donors are pretty much non-existent in my area. There is a 1995 F-250 at the junk yard I need to go look at to see if it is 4x4 or 4x2, but I'm pretty sure it is the later, and that is the oldest F-series sitting in the JY here.

SO if one were to say do this conversion with newly sourced parts how bad are we talking, is it even possible. Or is this one of those, shut up and keep what you got, toss a winch on the front, some rope and come alongs for if you get stuck anywhere type of deal. I have a line on an overbuilt 4x4 AOD that would be the driver behind the new set up.

had a thought to check the vin instead of going down there... yea no donor today

An F250 would not work anyway, the front axle is completely different.

I pieced my 4x4 swap together on my old F150 using beams, radius arms, and diff from a 1995 F150, steering knuckles and spindles from a 1984 F150, transfer case, transmission crossmember, and front driveshaft from a 1982 Bronco, and transmission from a 1980 F250.

Keep in mind though that Ford changed the brakes a few times , 87-88 front brakes are weird and should be avoided, 1994+ has bolt on calipers, etc. It's best to try and stick close to the year of your truck, which in your case would be 83-86.

SO if one were to say do this conversion with newly sourced parts how bad are we talking, is it even possible.

There are a lot of parts that can be purchased new.

The 3" rear spring hangers and shackles are all available new and not that expensive.

3" rear leaf springs are available...you can buy those no problem.

4x4 radius arms are available new, also not expensive.

You can buy a lot of parts of the front differential, but it would be FAR easier to buy a donor.

Sometimes it's a sin we're all so far apart. I junked an '85 4x4 not all that long ago, and ended up scrapping a bunch of parts needed for a 4x4 swap. Heck, I would have given you almost everything you needed for the swap for free.

SO if one were to say do this conversion with newly sourced parts how bad are we talking, is it even possible.

There are a lot of parts that can be purchased new.

The 3" rear spring hangers and shackles are all available new and not that expensive.

3" rear leaf springs are available...you can buy those no problem.

4x4 radius arms are available new, also not expensive.

You can buy a lot of parts of the front differential, but it would be FAR easier to buy a donor.

Sometimes it's a sin we're all so far apart. I junked an '85 4x4 not all that long ago, and ended up scrapping a bunch of parts needed for a 4x4 swap. Heck, I would have given you almost everything you needed for the swap for free.

Man that sucks... yea it's crazy how far you have to go sometimes to find things. Literally isn't one of these trucks on Craigslist for like 400miles. And definitely no junkers. I have the local JY app on my phone they notify me every time a truck comes in. None have come in a while. Kicking myself for not stripping trucks when I had the chance.