Bullnose Forum

Possible Re-hosting Of Website - Input Requested

Gary Lewis

The problem is, Gary, that search engines don't know how to *render* pages - tabs, embeds, stuff like that. It is unaffected by cookies. The only thing it does is scan the source code, the only thing it knows is what site it's on. It has no clue how the final page is supposed to be presented to the users, it just reads the source code. It will index links to itself (domain) but not to places off-site.

I'm watching the Today show on NBC, Al Roker was talking about the temps in the mid-90s in the east, I feel like it sure came close to snow temperature last night.

A little more research on the Dreamhost site says "Proprietary site build and hosting services such Wix, Weebly, or Squarespace cannot be moved to DreamHost." I don't know if that means the Dreamhost staff don't have the tools with which to do it or if there's something proprietary about Dreamhost that precludes it. I guess we'll find out if I ask cms2cms to migrate it to Dreamhost.

ctubutis - I understand what you are saying. And it makes sense. However, I'm hoping for a better answer. Or, maybe I should say a better way to present the pdf's. We shall see.

But in any case having the content on the same "system" as the website will be a plus.

A little more research on the Dreamhost site says "Proprietary site build and hosting services such Wix, Weebly, or Squarespace cannot be moved to DreamHost." I don't know if that means the Dreamhost staff don't have the tools with which to do it or if there's something proprietary about Dreamhost that precludes it. I guess we'll find out if I ask cms2cms to migrate it to Dreamhost.

ctubutis - I understand what you are saying. And it makes sense. However, I'm hoping for a better answer. Or, maybe I should say a better way to present the pdf's. We shall see.

But in any case having the content on the same "system" as the website will be a plus.

If the Wordpress stuff works like everything else on Dreamhost, it's not a Dreamhost problem where they're locking you into some odd data structures or formatting.

It's more likely that they either don't have the tools, or just plain don't want to mess with converting proprietary systems over.

If the Wordpress stuff works like everything else on Dreamhost, it's not a Dreamhost problem where they're locking you into some odd data structures or formatting.

It's more likely that they either don't have the tools, or just plain don't want to mess with converting proprietary systems over.

Is WordPress better than Weebly?

Weebly is probably the easiest website builder available in the market today, and it is a much easier platform to use than WordPress. ... Basically, even though WordPress is a very powerful & flexible platform, if you want to use it effectively, it's inevitable that you will need to modify codes. Jun 6, 2019

Just something I ran across looks like the one your considering is a more powerful program but it may take a little or lot more learning sounds like to modify the codes and such to get things to do what you want.

Is WordPress better than Weebly?

Weebly is probably the easiest website builder available in the market today, and it is a much easier platform to use than WordPress. ... Basically, even though WordPress is a very powerful & flexible platform, if you want to use it effectively, it's inevitable that you will need to modify codes. Jun 6, 2019

Just something I ran across looks like the one your considering is a more powerful program but it may take a little or lot more learning sounds like to modify the codes and such to get things to do what you want.

ckuske - I think you are probably correct.

81f100custom - Yes, Weebly is EASY! I've taught it to a bunch of high school kids who created their own websites in one session.

But, I've been told by two Weebly employees that our site has probably grown too large for their site. I asked because it is becoming very onerous to create new pages and drag/drop them to the proper location. And backups are running 4 hours to download - when they complete. And I have hundreds, if not thousands, of additional documents to add.

Plus, with Wordpress 5.0 that came out last December there is a new editor, called the block editor, that provides some of the ease of creation for which Weebly is know.

And now Google is finding " CHOKE COVER CLAMP SCREW (3)", which is in the Walker document on the Carter 1bbl page, in the file itself at http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/files/theme/CarterYFandYFA.pdf and not on the Carter 1bbl page. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Perhaps it'll find it on the page later? :nabble_anim_confused:

How do I multiquote on this site, Gary?

And now Google is finding " CHOKE COVER CLAMP SCREW (3)", which is in the Walker document on the Carter 1bbl page, in the file itself at http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/files/theme/CarterYFandYFA.pdf and not on the Carter 1bbl page. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Perhaps it'll find it on the page later? :nabble_anim_confused:

Looks to me like ou're inserting your files in the wrong place on your site, Gary. What tools are you using to upload things? An sftp client? Maybe an html form?

You currently have it in the ...files/theme in the directory structure, methinks you need to navigate deeper inside of there but I don't know Weebly so can't say anything for certain.

How do I multiquote on this site, Gary?
And now Google is finding " CHOKE COVER CLAMP SCREW (3)", which is in the Walker document on the Carter 1bbl page, in the file itself at http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/files/theme/CarterYFandYFA.pdf and not on the Carter 1bbl page. :nabble_smiley_cry:Perhaps it'll find it on the page later? :nabble_anim_confused:
Looks to me like ou're inserting your files in the wrong place on your site, Gary. What tools are you using to upload things? An sftp client? Maybe an html form? You currently have it in the ...files/theme in the directory structure, methinks you need to navigate deeper inside of there but I don't know Weebly so can't say anything for certain.
Watch the youtube video, Gary:

ctubutis - I'm not worried about where the files are in Weebly as we are planning to leave there. And with that video you found that may be much sooner rather than later. :nabble_smiley_good:I recently signed up for WPbeginner, but hadn't found that how-to. And it is a good one. Well spotted! If it is twice as hard as it made it look it'll be duck soup. (But I doubt it will be.)And, the pricing is good as well. That discount gets $2.75/mo instead of $7.99/mo. But I don't know if that supplies backups, although the video said something about that. I'll have to check into that.With that migration tool from WPbeginner we could bring it up on ckeske's Dreamhost site. But if we don't want to go with Dreamhost then that might not be a smart thing to do. So I think I need to spend more time checking out hosting options so I can get a good comparison of price, benefits, etc.:nabble_anim_working:

Mid-day update on the potential migration. Summary: It ain't gonna be easy! :nabble_smiley_cry:Details:I watched the video, above, closely and tried wpbeginner's weeblytowp free migration tool. It runs for a few minutes and then fails with a 505 code. I turned in a trouble ticket to them. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:Then I turned to cms2cms, which does migrations for a living. They have a test migration tool that will migrate 10 pages for free and put them up on their Wordpress site. So I ran the test and checked out the results. I'll let ya'll decide from the side-by-side screenshots below.But, I'll give you a hint - I contacted Tania on their chat support line and endured the 5 - 8 minute wait between responses. Sent her a screenshot of a correct page and a link to what they made it look like, and she sent me a link to fill out a trouble form. But when I got down to questions about my new FTP Host Name, FTP Port, FTP Login, etc, etc, etc I went back to her. Several minutes later she realized she gave me the wrong trouble form.So I filled out the form and sent it in and asked her if she could see it. Minutes later she says "We received them, but it seems that your site is not available - https://www.screencast.com/t/wls3or6gMPlease note, for migration both sites has to be available." Screencast??? That's not me. :nabble_smiley_scared: Then she comes back with "We can't reach your site. Please add white list these 9 IP addresses."At this point any semblance of comfort that cms2cms can do the job has just vanished. I explained that I had no clue how to white list those addresses and am not interested in doing so until someone calls me and explains what is going on. Her response was that she's turned in a ticket. My response: "Ok. Meanwhile I'll see if anyone else can migrate this site. You might want to pass my telephone number on to management 'cause I'm not likely to use your services if you don't have time to call me back."Exhaust_Manifold_Warping_Original.thumb.jpg.2db6dcb0eb8e728892492adc3c5b0af6.jpgExhaust_Manifold_Warping_-_cms2cms.thumb.jpg.5fa7b7f560dfeeedb678e7e6e756648c.jpgBig_Blues_Documentation_-_original.thumb.jpg.17b0b3367deaacce9fa51414c9920344.jpgBig_Blues_Documentation_-_cms2cms.thumb.jpg.3d2a8ea539464b4458c96f248781cd75.jpg

Mid-day update on the potential migration. Summary: It ain't gonna be easy! :nabble_smiley_cry:

Details:

I watched the video, above, closely and tried wpbeginner's weeblytowp free migration tool. It runs for a few minutes and then fails with a 505 code. I turned in a trouble ticket to them. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Then I turned to cms2cms, which does migrations for a living. They have a test migration tool that will migrate 10 pages for free and put them up on their Wordpress site. So I ran the test and checked out the results. I'll let ya'll decide from the side-by-side screenshots below.

But, I'll give you a hint - I contacted Tania on their chat support line and endured the 5 - 8 minute wait between responses. Sent her a screenshot of a correct page and a link to what they made it look like, and she sent me a link to fill out a trouble form. But when I got down to questions about my new FTP Host Name, FTP Port, FTP Login, etc, etc, etc I went back to her. Several minutes later she realized she gave me the wrong trouble form.

So I filled out the form and sent it in and asked her if she could see it. Minutes later she says "We received them, but it seems that your site is not available - https://www.screencast.com/t/wls3or6gM

Please note, for migration both sites has to be available." Screencast??? That's not me. :nabble_smiley_scared: Then she comes back with "We can't reach your site. Please add white list these 9 IP addresses."

At this point any semblance of comfort that cms2cms can do the job has just vanished. I explained that I had no clue how to white list those addresses and am not interested in doing so until someone calls me and explains what is going on. Her response was that she's turned in a ticket. My response: "Ok. Meanwhile I'll see if anyone else can migrate this site. You might want to pass my telephone number on to management 'cause I'm not likely to use your services if you don't have time to call me back."

Well folks, I'm bummed. I just got off the phone with Will Zudok of WPEngine. Apparently they are a major Wordpress hosting company and when you go to their site you are asked if you'd like to chat. I said yes and a few minutes later Will called.

Nice guy. Drives a 2011 F150 w/a 3.5L EB and says it does great pulling his 18' boat.

But, he took a look at the site and said he's 100% sure they cannot migrate it to Wordpress, and he's almost 100% sure no one can. In fact, he thinks the only way to take it to Wordpress is to rebuild it there, page by page.

Pass the tissues, please. :nabble_smiley_cry: