Bullnose Forums

Bluish Smoke Diagnosis From 351W

Quarterwave

Interesting, thanks Pete.

Why the heck do they use them if they are garbage?

They'll work if the guides are tight and they are still flexible. But both things go away as age sets in. Also, on the exhaust side, not much oil could enter because gas is being pushed the other direction. Hell, Chebbie only used an o-ring on exhaust valves, true :) It's the intake that is the most trouble.

Gary - no PCV valve - only the vented cap on either rocker cover. So, I imagine I need a valve cover cap with the angled elbow (do I need just the one on the passenger side?), clamp a hose to that, run the PCV valve inline(?) and then run the hose from that into the PCV valve port on the carb... which is currently being used to run a vacuum line to the trans for shifting.

It's interesting - when I read the manual for the carburetor, I noticed the "mechanic" had connected the PCV port to the trans vacuum line, and so I changed it to the port on the back of the carburetor, as that was what it was supposed to be for... I then blocked the PCV port on the carb and the truck started smoking and running really bad.

Changed it all back, and the idle evened out, no more smoke etc...

I doubt you can find a PCV valve that is set up to go to a hose. Don't think I've seen one, but maybe. Or you may get a PCV valve to go into a hose - I've not tried. But the best would be if your valve cover has a grommet in it where the breather valve is to put a PCV valve in the grommet. Then a hose to the back of the carb.

And just having the breather on the other valve cover is fine. The vacuum from the carb will pull fresh air into the on the side with the breather cap and that air will go down through the sump and out the PCV valve taking oil fumes with it.

Gary - no PCV valve - only the vented cap on either rocker cover. So, I imagine I need a valve cover cap with the angled elbow (do I need just the one on the passenger side?), clamp a hose to that, run the PCV valve inline(?) and then run the hose from that into the PCV valve port on the carb... which is currently being used to run a vacuum line to the trans for shifting.

It's interesting - when I read the manual for the carburetor, I noticed the "mechanic" had connected the PCV port to the trans vacuum line, and so I changed it to the port on the back of the carburetor, as that was what it was supposed to be for... I then blocked the PCV port on the carb and the truck started smoking and running really bad.

I doubt you can find a PCV valve that is set up to go to a hose. Don't think I've seen one, but maybe. Or you may get a PCV valve to go into a hose - I've not tried. But the best would be if your valve cover has a grommet in it where the breather valve is to put a PCV valve in the grommet. Then a hose to the back of the carb.

And just having the breather on the other valve cover is fine. The vacuum from the carb will pull fresh air into the on the side with the breather cap and that air will go down through the sump and out the PCV valve taking oil fumes with it.

Further to what Gary said, most PCV valves are designed to operate in a verticle-ish position. The check ball inside cannot do it's job properly with the valve on it's side.

Also, the valve cover needs some baffling underneath the side where the PCV valve goes, in order to help prevent excess oil getting sucked into it.

Hmmm ok - I'll need to call Edelbrock to see what they recommend, as I can't be the only guy to have this issue.

This is what I've found so far - at Amazon of all places:

Valve cover breather:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CN52TY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

PCV Valve:

https://www.amazon.com/Edelbrock-3593-PCV-Valve-Fitting/dp/B003EP2SGM/ref=sr_1_6?crid=M3H593DCLQ30&keywords=edelbrock+valve+cover+breather+pcv+valve&qid=1568993782&s=automotive&sprefix=edelbrock+valve%2Cautomotive%2C162&sr=1-6

They'll work if the guides are tight and they are still flexible. But both things go away as age sets in. Also, on the exhaust side, not much oil could enter because gas is being pushed the other direction. Hell, Chebbie only used an o-ring on exhaust valves, true :) It's the intake that is the most trouble.

Ok, thanks Pete. I'm going to call Edelbrock and ask them WTF is this an issue for $1,000-a-piece heads!