Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

I agree, but not totally. I posted a really nice one for sale in Louisville 41k miles on it, I think they were asking $8-$9,000. I don't think it was a step-side or 4x4 though. But it was a nice two tone black and gray with red interior.

I see on the map you are in Nova Scotia. Never been there before. Looks like a nice place.

I've got too many projects right now...69 Impala, 72 Camaro, 99 Silverado, and I want to add a Bullnose. There was a guy in Tulsa that had a green stepside 4x4 bullnose that I worked with. He offered it to me a few years ago for $3500. I didn't have the money then. Wish I could track him down and go get that thing. Was green with tan interior. Nice truck. I think I want the two tone blue like seen here:

Yeah, I hear ya. I keep my eye open for the Bullnoses, but haven't run across much lately that flicks my Bic.

The 1984 I'm working on now was an almost perfect find for me...it met several of the requirements on my check list, so that was cool. However, I still paid too much money for it....not that I regret it, but it's just one of those things...lol. I'd like a Bullnose 4x4 stepside (with 3 pedals) next....not to replace my 2wd, but to park beside it...lol.

I see there are a few stepsides for sale in New England currently...I found several of them the other day, but all 2wd drive models, and all expensive.

Nova Scotia is nice. I was born and raised here, so it's home. If you've ever been to New England, it's about the same in geography and climate. I always joke that we get Boston's weather a day later. However, sometimes we get bypassed too. There were some storms this winter that hammered upstate NY and New England, but by the time they got this far northeast the storm veered out into the ocean and bypassed us. That happens sometimes too.

I've spent a little time in KY. I used to service industrial equipment and used to pass through the area once in a while. One plant was in Shelbyville which looks like its close to you? I visited the Jim Beam museum one time when passing by, and I visited the Corvette Museum around 2005-2006. The countryside is gorgeous there. I love it. Used to fly into Nashville, then work my way up through KY and then drive up to Chicago at the end of the week to fly home.

Yeah, I hear ya. I keep my eye open for the Bullnoses, but haven't run across much lately that flicks my Bic.

The 1984 I'm working on now was an almost perfect find for me...it met several of the requirements on my check list, so that was cool. However, I still paid too much money for it....not that I regret it, but it's just one of those things...lol. I'd like a Bullnose 4x4 stepside (with 3 pedals) next....not to replace my 2wd, but to park beside it...lol.

I see there are a few stepsides for sale in New England currently...I found several of them the other day, but all 2wd drive models, and all expensive.

Nova Scotia is nice. I was born and raised here, so it's home. If you've ever been to New England, it's about the same in geography and climate. I always joke that we get Boston's weather a day later. However, sometimes we get bypassed too. There were some storms this winter that hammered upstate NY and New England, but by the time they got this far northeast the storm veered out into the ocean and bypassed us. That happens sometimes too.

I've spent a little time in KY. I used to service industrial equipment and used to pass through the area once in a while. One plant was in Shelbyville which looks like its close to you? I visited the Jim Beam museum one time when passing by, and I visited the Corvette Museum around 2005-2006. The countryside is gorgeous there. I love it. Used to fly into Nashville, then work my way up through KY and then drive up to Chicago at the end of the week to fly home.

Rembrant, those are my stomping grounds. I grew up a few miles from Jim Beam distillery. I live close to Shelbyville and visit friends and family there all the time. Bought my 69 Impala from an old man in Shelbyville. I've been to the corvette museum many times. I live between Taylorsville and Mt. Washington.

Yes, the ‘87-‘96 have a taller tunnel cover than the ‘80-‘86 ones. The carpet does fit over it but not well. It definitely produces some tent effect on the sides of the tunnel. I am guessing that the problem might be worse with rubber flooring if that is what you have. I also wonder, since you had to cut the hole, did you even have a tunnel cover before? I’m wondering if your flooring might be tailored even lower.

So I just stuck the rubber floor back in the truck...dry fit so to speak. It still fits, and I think it will be OK at least in the short term, but there is a little tent effect on the left side of the tunnel. A bit of a bubble by the gas pedal. Not serious or anything, and maybe it will flatten out a bit with time and heat. The floor is 34 years old, and it's cold...lol. Maybe a little heat gun work to soften it up will help it settle in place more?...I dunno. As it is, everything fits where it was previously. I'm guessing the floor mat was also able to fit trucks with the floor shift tunnel covers, and there was a little slack in mine?

The rubber floor is surprisingly stiff...I can barely even feel where the shifter hole is in the tunnel cover. I have to cut that out to fit the shifter base next.

Yes, the ‘87-‘96 have a taller tunnel cover than the ‘80-‘86 ones. The carpet does fit over it but not well. It definitely produces some tent effect on the sides of the tunnel. I am guessing that the problem might be worse with rubber flooring if that is what you have. I also wonder, since you had to cut the hole, did you even have a tunnel cover before? I’m wondering if your flooring might be tailored even lower.

So I just stuck the rubber floor back in the truck...dry fit so to speak. It still fits, and I think it will be OK at least in the short term, but there is a little tent effect on the left side of the tunnel. A bit of a bubble by the gas pedal. Not serious or anything, and maybe it will flatten out a bit with time and heat. The floor is 34 years old, and it's cold...lol. Maybe a little heat gun work to soften it up will help it settle in place more?...I dunno. As it is, everything fits where it was previously. I'm guessing the floor mat was also able to fit trucks with the floor shift tunnel covers, and there was a little slack in mine?

The rubber floor is surprisingly stiff...I can barely even feel where the shifter hole is in the tunnel cover. I have to cut that out to fit the shifter base next.

Great! Glad it appears to work. :nabble_smiley_good:

In other news, I scored a set of spare Flareside fenders today, for free. Apparently removed from a 1981 years ago. The guy had a Styleside 1-ton that he was going to convert to DRW, and he bought these fenders to graft on, but then ended up installing a flat deck on the truck. He's had them in his barn ever since. Told me I could have 'em.

They're not pretty, but they're all intact and the metal mounting brackets are all still in place and in good condition too.

IMG_0838_(Small).jpg.95327c6b833128c5ff81b086890562d6.jpg

In other news, I scored a set of spare Flareside fenders today, for free. Apparently removed from a 1981 years ago. The guy had a Styleside 1-ton that he was going to convert to DRW, and he bought these fenders to graft on, but then ended up installing a flat deck on the truck. He's had them in his barn ever since. Told me I could have 'em.

They're not pretty, but they're all intact and the metal mounting brackets are all still in place and in good condition too.

Wow! Free!!!!! Can't beat that. :nabble_smiley_good:

Your pic above is definitely the later (tall) tunnel cover. I have a 2wd tunnel cover from my 1981 that I would gladly give you, but you would have to pay the ride from Arizona. You would want to make sure that your M5OD does not need the space, and take a guess at whether it would work with your current floor mat. Anyway, it’s available if you decide you want it:

Hey Ford F834 if Rembrant doesn't want the tunnel cover I what be interested in it for my manual swap.

Hey Ford F834 if Rembrant doesn't want the tunnel cover I what be interested in it for my manual swap.

Sure thing... if he does take it I can always grab you one at the junkyard. They are not too expensive. Are there other parts that you need? Ask before paying money, I do have some things extra laying around. Would you be picking things up in September or would you need it shipped? Feel free to eMail me.

I don't need the tunnel cover. I'll be using the one I have. I'm pretty sure the M5OD needs the little extra clearance, and it seems to fit OK for now.

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-ford-f150-stepside-sell/6545169384.html

Here is exactly what you have been looking for. $4500 4x4 86 step side 4 speed. Low mileage, but needs TLC.

I'd go buy this if I wasn't in the middle of building my garage!!!