Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

Finally got around to cutting the hole for my 5MT tunnel cover. Thankfully Ford made it easy and left me a formed in place template;).

Some self-etch primer to cover the bare metal where I cut, and custom rattle can blue to brighten it back up...since no one will ever see it...lol.

And my Ebay trans cover fits like a glove. Even better news is that my nice factory rubber floor mat still fits OK too. I was a little worried that it might not fit well with the added height on the tunnel.

Getting closer to having this thing all together. If all goes well I'll be doing some test drives by the end of May. Fingers crossed.

Does the M5OD transmission require the taller tunnel cover to clear? That cover was also used on the ZF and it needs the height but the bullnose carpet won’t fit right over it. I’m wondering if you could get away with a bullnose tunnel cover?

Does the M5OD transmission require the taller tunnel cover to clear? That cover was also used on the ZF and it needs the height but the bullnose carpet won’t fit right over it. I’m wondering if you could get away with a bullnose tunnel cover?

That's a good question. What do you mean the Bullnose floor mat doesn't fit right over it? I did throw it back in there quickly with the M5OD cover installed and at a glance it seemed to fit OK, but your comment made me realize something that I overlooked in my quick test fit...and maybe it doesn't fit as good as I thought it did...lol. Bugger. I will re-check it tonight after work, but wondering what part it is that doesn't fit in your experience?

That's a good question. What do you mean the Bullnose floor mat doesn't fit right over it? I did throw it back in there quickly with the M5OD cover installed and at a glance it seemed to fit OK, but your comment made me realize something that I overlooked in my quick test fit...and maybe it doesn't fit as good as I thought it did...lol. Bugger. I will re-check it tonight after work, but wondering what part it is that doesn't fit in your experience?

Yes, the ‘87-‘96 have a taller tunnel cover than the ‘80-‘86 ones. The carpet does fit over it but not well. It definitely produces some tent effect on the sides of the tunnel. I am guessing that the problem might be worse with rubber flooring if that is what you have. I also wonder, since you had to cut the hole, did you even have a tunnel cover before? I’m wondering if your flooring might be tailored even lower.

I also wonder, since you had to cut the hole, did you even have a tunnel cover before? I’m wondering if your flooring might be tailored even lower.

No sir, there was no tunnel cover before, just steel floor. There was an impression stamped in the floor for the cover to fit, and the 9 screw holes, etc, but no cover. The M5OD cover is a couple inches higher for sure.

I'll see if I can test fit the mat again tonight. I guess worst case scenario is that I have to buy a later model rubber floor mat, which would be kind of a sin really considering my existing one is in great condition.

I did throw it in the truck the other night, but I only looked at the driver's side...it may have been too short on the passenger side....I didn't check that. I can live with a little bit of tent effect, as long as the mat reaches the door trim mouldings on the left and the right.

I also wonder, since you had to cut the hole, did you even have a tunnel cover before? I’m wondering if your flooring might be tailored even lower.

No sir, there was no tunnel cover before, just steel floor. There was an impression stamped in the floor for the cover to fit, and the 9 screw holes, etc, but no cover. The M5OD cover is a couple inches higher for sure.

I'll see if I can test fit the mat again tonight. I guess worst case scenario is that I have to buy a later model rubber floor mat, which would be kind of a sin really considering my existing one is in great condition.

I did throw it in the truck the other night, but I only looked at the driver's side...it may have been too short on the passenger side....I didn't check that. I can live with a little bit of tent effect, as long as the mat reaches the door trim mouldings on the left and the right.

Another option would be to get the earlier cover. They should be easy to come by, assuming you have the taller one.

I think I have both, so can measure and you can find out what you have.

Another option would be to get the earlier cover. They should be easy to come by, assuming you have the taller one.

I think I have both, so can measure and you can find out what you have.

I bought the cover on Ebay and it was listed as being for an M5OD 5spd 2wd from (I think) a 1992 F150. I believe it was listed as fitting 1988-1996 or something like that. I can't comment on it too much other than that...and it fits the floor nicely.

I'll try the mat again tonight and see how it fits and let you guys know. At a glance it seemed like it was going to be OK, but I didn't really put much effort into it...lol. I had been assuming all along that I would need a new later year mat, but if the original works I'll be a happy guy.

I bought the cover on Ebay and it was listed as being for an M5OD 5spd 2wd from (I think) a 1992 F150. I believe it was listed as fitting 1988-1996 or something like that. I can't comment on it too much other than that...and it fits the floor nicely.

I'll try the mat again tonight and see how it fits and let you guys know. At a glance it seemed like it was going to be OK, but I didn't really put much effort into it...lol. I had been assuming all along that I would need a new later year mat, but if the original works I'll be a happy guy.

Your pic above is definitely the later (tall) tunnel cover. I have a 2wd tunnel cover from my 1981 that I would gladly give you, but you would have to pay the ride from Arizona. You would want to make sure that your M5OD does not need the space, and take a guess at whether it would work with your current floor mat. Anyway, it’s available if you decide you want it:

D44214A5-F1F9-4749-ABE0-E855D7395AB3.jpeg.77e07e697fb4933e41539a1907e09e4a.jpeg

Finally got around to cutting the hole for my 5MT tunnel cover. Thankfully Ford made it easy and left me a formed in place template;).

Some self-etch primer to cover the bare metal where I cut, and custom rattle can blue to brighten it back up...since no one will ever see it...lol.

And my Ebay trans cover fits like a glove. Even better news is that my nice factory rubber floor mat still fits OK too. I was a little worried that it might not fit well with the added height on the tunnel.

Getting closer to having this thing all together. If all goes well I'll be doing some test drives by the end of May. Fingers crossed.

REALLY AWESOME TRUCK Rembrant! Once I get around to getting another Bullnose, it'll be a step side, or a Bronco. I'm leaning step side. I really like blue on the bullnose, so I will watch your project.

REALLY AWESOME TRUCK Rembrant! Once I get around to getting another Bullnose, it'll be a step side, or a Bronco. I'm leaning step side. I really like blue on the bullnose, so I will watch your project.

Thanks man,

I've always had a love affair with the Bullnose trucks myself, and the Bronco's as well. There was a red one on Ebay recently, posted on here as well, that turned me on like a pair of....oh nevermind;).

My next Bullnose will be a 4x4 though...I just need to find a good starter project to work with. The problem is, they seem to be worth either $1500, or $15,000 with nothing in between. Parts trucks and show trucks.

I think good ones (for a good price) are getting harder and harder to find.

Thanks man,

I've always had a love affair with the Bullnose trucks myself, and the Bronco's as well. There was a red one on Ebay recently, posted on here as well, that turned me on like a pair of....oh nevermind;).

My next Bullnose will be a 4x4 though...I just need to find a good starter project to work with. The problem is, they seem to be worth either $1500, or $15,000 with nothing in between. Parts trucks and show trucks.

I think good ones (for a good price) are getting harder and harder to find.

I agree, but not totally. I posted a really nice one for sale in Louisville 41k miles on it, I think they were asking $8-$9,000. I don't think it was a step-side or 4x4 though. But it was a nice two tone black and gray with red interior.

I see on the map you are in Nova Scotia. Never been there before. Looks like a nice place.

I've got too many projects right now...69 Impala, 72 Camaro, 99 Silverado, and I want to add a Bullnose. There was a guy in Tulsa that had a green stepside 4x4 bullnose that I worked with. He offered it to me a few years ago for $3500. I didn't have the money then. Wish I could track him down and go get that thing. Was green with tan interior. Nice truck. I think I want the two tone blue like seen here:

f150_stepside.jpg.e93d69e584562668910f8df1d129a762.jpg